Hello All,

I am attempting to find out what my issue is with my FreeBSD Router that I am attempting to build. I have set up the following tools on my OS on my router:

• HostAPD
  • DNSMasq
  • PF
All of which appear to work and I can route through the AP. However; I am not getting nearly the speeds or the reliability that I can get off my other router. I have checked my CPU, Memory, Disk, and Network Interfaces for any sign of Over utilization/saturation or errors and I cannot find anything that would point to the bottleneck. Would anyone be able to assist my in pointing me to another possible reason as to why my wireless router is not performing. Thanks!

Also look at signal/noise ratio and whether there are nearby access points using the same frequencies. Most wireless drivers lower transmission speed with noisy/dirty/congested signals

Edit: transmits -> transmission

Also look at signal/noise ratio and whether there are nearby access points using the same frequencies. Most wireless drivers lower transmits speeds with noisy/dirty/congested signals

I will start looking at some tools to help me determine the congestion around my router. Would you have any suggestions of what I could use to help me determine if this is the problem?

I once had a similar setup with reliability problems. I fixed it by replacing the WiFi-card with a gigabit lan card and connecting it to a separate 802.11ac router working only as a bridge.

That way the router performance and reliability has been exceptional without requiring any HostAPD tuning.

I once had a similar setup with reliability problems. I fixed it by replacing the WiFi-card with a gigabit lan card and connecting it to a separate 802.11ac router working only as a bridge.

That way the router performance and reliability has been exceptional without requiring any HostAPD tuning.

Interesting, so you have your router hooked to a separate access point. I was thinking about doing something similar to this, but I just havent found any bottle, as of yet, that would indicate that it was the wireless adapter. The wireless adapter I have now though is a wireless USB dongle capable of 802.11n so it is definitely possible that I will have to replace this.

Back