Rename blacklist to «not well loved list».

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not find any concrete critics on any of the Coc's topics

Is that a serious question? Because if you start to discuss an X topic in detail, you'll be labeled as an X hater/supporter for the rest of your life.

general behavioural rules written down

They are not general, they are very-very specific; it almost reads like a political statement. If you want to see how general looks like, you can compare our latest CoC with it.

(That is about as much as I'm going to say on the topic.)

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
if you start to discuss an X topic in detail, you'll be labeled as an X hater/supporter for the rest of your life.

It's like your speech has an effect on how people perceive you. That has to be super annoying when you have an opinion everybody hates, but you want people to like you.

shkhln Ok I understand your 1st concern. On the 2nd: it's six very general topics and the explanation on the 2nd one: be welcoming, explicitely includes political belief to be protected and should not exclude anyone from reasons arising thereby. The other topics mentioned therein are clearly not political, but rather a matter of respect towards others, IMHO. Of course, experience shows that some people mix that up, until they realize some of their political leaders are either homosexual, or have a black/jewish/whatever ancestor, or like to wear women's clothes in private,... whatever. And then they find themself in the mentioned cognitive dissonance, and often their solution is to blame such CoC, instead of admitting their view or behaviour is disrespectful or asshat-like. I'm now on page 3 of that thread and still most I find is very vague anxiety. It's a very entertaining reading, though ;)

Everyone has an opinion someone else hates

I like how you expanded an implicit "you" to "everyone" (which is how it works if you're reading it), but were reductive from "everybody" to "someone," turning it into a banal statement that you don't have to internalize.

I like how you expanded an implicit "you" to "everyone" (which is how it works if you're reading it), but were reductive from "everybody" to "someone," turning it into a banal statement that you don't have to internalize.

I don't even understand your "enlightened" word salad this time, so I can't answer you anything. Sorry.

Reactions: a6h
My last order before the others do theirs: shkhln Well, I refered to the one I found on the offical FreeBSD website, and IMHO it's not ridiculous not to find a very new version in the repository. Yes, this new version looks & feels very different. Strikingly, many verbalisations are in negated type. It feels more restrictive.

This is a rather lengthy thread. Until now I read up to the 2nd page, and I did not find any concrete critics on any of the Coc's topics, rather than a vague anxiety & fear about the mere existence of such a collection of general behavioural rules written down. Reminds me of the attitude of some hardcore tea party followers (or Reichsbürger here in Germany): anything from "above" is threatening my freedom, don't dare you smart weisenheimers tell me what to do!
After all it was rightly stated there that much depends on how to handle such CoC in practice.

They pointed to an article that said how people got fired for referring to someone by the gender they were born as. It was likely the guardians who put it into the child's head, they were another gender, which is what should be looked at with concern, rather than someone trying to respect what the person as born as. I understand that, this point is overused. At first glance, the CoC looks simple like: behave and be fair, be courteous. However, it goes overboard.

If someone changes their name to "Ms." Mary, or "Flying Falcon" I'll call them by that name, and treat them with respect as I would to anyone else. Don't say, I must respect a label which I don't understand, however.

The CoC is overcompensating or overdoing it. It's inappropriate and stupid. In this forum, it has no effect, because I'll believe whatever someone says the are. For those in FreeBSD's working environment, it's not good. There's no reason for this.

The example given shouldn't be relevant, but the CoC makes it so, because it gives too much leeway for this specifically.

I'm tired of both sides complaining about blacklist or blocklist, or some song that does sound bad. Why is this used as a rally cry? This CoC contributes to this problem.

That last line worries me.

Applying upstream changes (in code, naming, manual formatting...) seems logical to me. Renaming projects/variables/settings etc. back to previous versions before whatever upstream considered sweet-non-offensive-neutral word today would be IMHO even more ridiculous than all of this Holy Wars to defend poor, weak and offended.

They pointed to an article that said how people got fired for referring to someone by the gender they were born as.
[...snip...]

I think everyone should stop using the term gender in English. The language has, on the whole, no grammatical gender unlike other languages. Therefore when talking about biological reproduction, it's sex and in English it's either Male or Female. Biologically, anything else is an abnormality and an anomaly.

Oh, and besides, why is sex or gender even brought into, for example, discussing writing drivers for an OS. I mean, seriously? :eek:
Over and Out!

Therefore when talking about biological reproduction, it's sex and in English it's either Male or Female
And about electric plug, is there a male or female usage as in french ?

And now, I see why the subject can not focus in my first attempt. I open it to have a feedback about the movement. But male/female is maybe an insult for transgenre. Maybe «FreeBSD» and «jail» are an insult for poeple in jail ?
Maybe we can not find an end if we start to according some credit in «passive racism» (I do not know how this is called in english).
So, my conviction is :
We can use black/white and master in a project like FreeBSD. We maybe need to remove «slave». But to prevent stigmatisation, we need to explain the choice (and jails is a good example).
I stop posting here because my question is answered and the subject is now too open to find an end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back