Rename blacklist to «not well loved list».

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oddly, after reading that revision log, the lyrics of the song "Yellow Flicker Beat" from Lorde came to my mind (I'm not a particular fan of Lorde, but I like that one song). Amazing organ that brain.

"This is the start of how it all ends
They used to shout my name, now they whisper it"

Why the hell renaming common and easily understandable terms without reference to the topic?

Because they are used in a evaluative context: Good and bad. And because in that context it triggers others. If "trigger" doesn't mean anything to you, then you belong to privileged people - and you should be aware that others might feel differently.

I don't see a problem in "blacklist" (black and white f.e. has a also christian reference), but: A change won't hurt me at all! Simple for me, important for others. I don't even have to understand that, no empathy necessary - knowledge about that topic is enough.

When I read the first post I thought "oh god, no - this has nothing to do with each other"; But after some thought…

I don't see a problem in "blacklist" (black and white f.e. has a also christian reference), but: A change won't hurt me at all! Simple for me, important for others. I don't even have to understand that, no empathy necessary - knowledge about that topic is enough.
Sorry for my english, but problem here is because of me and maybe other users, for who that words are not more than name of color, or established terms like "black\white list", or "Master Boot Record" etc, so:
I have to start using new terms just because someone made up that they are insulting them. After all, those calm and literate people who know that these terms do not contain any malicious intent. So why knowingly literate people should quickly change something in their work/life/Hobbies, take some unnecessary updates. This is wrong about me, and to infringe on someone, arguing it with the fantasies of third parties... this is wrong. As a result, a long text through a translator :)

If the word "blacklist" triggers you, seek professional help. A technical project is the wrong place to seek help.
Yes so true. People should just code & keep their politics out of it.

Unfortunately a few developers are misguided believing a change of nomenclature will solve the world's ills when in fact it just assuages their own guilt. In other words the proponents of this nonsense have the real problem, not all the rest of us.

We should pity them; give them a virtual hug and tell them snowflakes are God's special people.

If this "gender/whatrever neutral" thing is already ridiculous in English language which is rather neutral by design, can you imagine how ridiculous it sounds in, for instance, romance languages where, in general, almost every word has gender assigned (masculine or feminine) to it depending on how it is written like, if finished with "a" this is a feminine word? Or even worse, proto-slavic languages, with its cadences, where the whole phrase is modified depending of what and you are talking?

If this "gender/whatrever neutral" thing is already ridiculous in English language which is rather neutral by design, can you imagine how ridiculous it sounds in, for instance, romance languages where, in general, almost every word has gender assigned (masculine or feminine) to it depending on how it is written like, if finished with "a" this is a feminine word? Or even worse, proto-slavic languages, with its cadences, where the whole phrase is modified depending of what and you are talking?
Yes. The problem is that some people confuse grammatical gender with biological sex (or whatever you may call it). These don’t have anything to do with each other for most nouns that don’t refer to a concrete person.

For example, in German the word “human” is masculine, the word “person” is feminine, and the word “member” is neuter (“der Mensch, die Person, das Mitglied”). But of course, all of these words refer to subjects of any biological sex. There are certain people in Germany who are unable to understand that concept, and who try to change the language.

That black and white thing is somewhat similar. Black and white are just colors that can be used for various things beside color of skin. Changing the language is not going to make anything better.

Newspapers are usually printed black on white. But the text terminals on my X11 desktop screen use “white on black” – does that make me a racist? No, it’s just because my eyes can read the text better that way.

By the way, I think the word “slave” is a different matter, because it clearly refers to slavery. I always found it strange to use it for technical things. For example, in the context of DNS servers (BIND), I always preferred the term “secondary zones” over “slave zones”. On the other hand, the word master is rather harmless, because it also has meanings not related to slavery. So, for example, I don’t see a problem calling one node in a cluster the master node, while the others are ordinary nodes or just nodes, in particular when all of the nodes are equal, and any of them can obtain the master role (in a fail-over scenario, for example).

In German, the word “Meister” (translation of master) is completely harmless and is used in various contexts. Another example: The German word “Führer” is very problematic, while its English translation “leader” is rather harmless.

As you can see, it depends a lot on the language how words are interpreted and perceived. The very same word can be perceived radically different in other languages.

PS: We should try to avoid the words “error”, “failure”, “bug” etc. in FreeBSD’s source code and documentation. That will certainly make the software much better.

(In case you didn’t notice: That was meant to be satirical.)

Here's a lengthy discussion about it:
This is a rather lengthy thread. Until now I read up to the 2nd page, and I did not find any concrete critics on any of the Coc's topics, rather than a vague anxiety & fear about the mere existence of such a collection of general behavioural rules written down. Reminds me of the attitude of some hardcore tea party followers (or Reichsbürger here in Germany): anything from "above" is threatening my freedom, don't dare you smart weisenheimers tell me what to do!
After all it was rightly stated there that much depends on how to handle such CoC in practice. SirDice shows the right sense of humour... ;p

Well we have solved all bugs (pardon me), all flaws from the OS, we have now the best hardware support and even we have developed drivers for the upcoming hardware, all that remain is to rename words which are "offensive" to some idiots (idiot/ἰδιώτης=greek noun =a private person, individual, a private citizen) who try to rewrite history.
Did FreeBSD Foundation made an inquiry (poll) to see if the term "blocklist" is not offensive to someone? How did they know is not offensive to me and/or others?

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
In french, at least, when someone try to learn something without succes, he «blocks».
So, blocklist is an offence, for sure.

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back