RE: Announcement Significant forum upgrade

Very minor, but can the beer glyph/emoji be moved to the end (or the start) of the list? This is the only one that have a different shape. :)

We should submit patch :D Interesting, may be there are some free workplaces in Xenforo? ;)
bFucwgn.gif

Is there any chance of adding a new section for virtualization to this forum? See (https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/add-forum-section-for-everything-related-to-virtualization.64224/), a high proportion of people who are polled seem to think that it should happen.

Nine votes isn't exactly a quorum. If we get like 90/100 we may reconsider. I don't see a huge amount of specific topics that can't be handled under the regular hardware/installing forums. Given that I myself use FreeBSD under VMware, KVM, and AWS, I haven't even been looking for a virtualization forum here.

DutchDaemon It's not really about whether topics can be handled in the other forum sections, it's more about the discovery of virtualization-related topics. For example, I came across a topic about running Docker on FreeBSD only by the pure chance that I had visited the forum while the topic was in the latest five (in fact I would not be able to find it without searching but why would I search for it in the first place if I didn't know it was possible?). I also created a few Azure specific topics related to virtual disks in the storage sections of the forum but I feel that they don't really belong there.

I have an interest in FreeBSD Jails (which are arguably a major differentiating feature of the OS) and all the topics are just scattered everywhere (it would be nice if there was a dedicated section for this). I also think that there should be a section for bhyve as it's a native hypervisor that ships with FreeBSD and possibly a section just dedicated to the Linux emulation layer. Lastly I think there should probably be a section dedicated to topics related to running FreeBSD in hypervisors (as this is the only way that many people can run FreeBSD in production these days).

Nine votes isn't exactly a quorum. If we get like 90/100 we may reconsider.

Realistically I don't think that based on the level of active participation on this forum (especially since people are unlikely to discover the topic in the first place) that this poll will ever get to 100 votes. But 90% (9 out of 10), is a high percentage nonetheless.

Your opinion was noted the first time, and my reply was based on my observations. Other admins/mods may have a different view..

Strange behavior of the tool/formatting bar.

>_ "usually" represents [CMD][/CMD] (shows "Command" when hovering with the mouse) on a 1920x1080 screen.

If I narrow down the width of the browserwindow, at one point the >_ will show "Inline Code" when hovering and [CODE][/CODE] tags appear when I click on it.

This behavior depends on the zoom level and font size of the forums webpage of course, but on my desktop computer with fullHD monitor that is at about 1000px or a bit more in width.
On my phone it's the same bahavior. [CMD] in landscape mode, [CODE] in portrait mode.

For the first weeks or so I was just a bit confused and thought I have to get used to the forum upgrade... or had to many :beer:

danger@
I found the culprit in CSS. This overflow-property should be disabled or removed. That fixes the codeblock-scrolling with iOS Safari. It is currently set like this:
Code:
/********* public:bb_code.less ********/
.bbCodeCode {
    overflow: auto;
}

While looking into that I also found another error. This url /styles/freebsd/xenforo/freebsd_hdr_fill.png should start with a slash:
Code:
/********* public:freebsd_org_top_navigation_menu.css ********/
/* FreeBSD banner css
--------------------------------------*/
body {
    background-image: url('styles/freebsd/xenforo/freebsd_hdr_fill.png');
}

danger@
I found the culprit in CSS. This overflow-property should be disabled or removed. That fixes the codeblock-scrolling with iOS Safari. It is currently set like this:
Code:
.bbCodeCode {
    overflow: auto;
}
I believe this needs to stay, otherwise the code blocks with very long lines do not collapse.

While looking into that I also found another error. This url /styles/freebsd/xenforo/freebsd_hdr_fill.png should start with a slash:
Code:
/********* public:freebsd_org_top_navigation_menu.css ********/
/* FreeBSD banner css
--------------------------------------*/
body {
    background-image: url('styles/freebsd/xenforo/freebsd_hdr_fill.png');
}
fixed

I believe this needs to stay, otherwise the code blocks with very long lines do not collapse.
Better safe than sorry.

The vertical scrolling worked on iOS before the forum upgrade. I don't know how this was done before. Anyway, I found another way to fix this issue by adding the following property:
Code:
.bbCodeBlock {
    -webkit-overflow-scrolling: touch;
}

Back