RE: Announcement Significant forum upgrade

Validating it cuts down on a lot of work of finding errors.

The more one edits HTML, the less mistakes one will make as one goes on.

I wholeheartedly agree. The XenForo folk need all the practice they can get writing valid code. :)

All mine is valid with W3C buttons linking to show it. ;)

the side effect is, that in fact, FreeBSD forum is a big red XenForo ad for now :D. IMO, it would be better to advertise some free projects (even GPL licensed), than commercial ones, especially if to take into account that this forum is forum of one of the most Free operating systems in the world. Also, what I dislike, posting nice things here = is a contributing to XenForo in a certain degree.
I didn't think about that as being an issue, but I now see it as, why should one software get that privilege while others don't. This is a slightly different subject, but I read that, when a hired web developer advertises on your webpage, ask them for a discount for their services for them to keep their advertising on your page. Was one software there helping the project since the beginning (not just by using their software), or are they open-source (including GPL)?

Here are some forum software with BSD/Apache/MIT licenses: Carbon Forum, ElkArte, Phorum, SMF, Tango. There are plenty of GPL licensed forum software (too many to list) that are acceptable too. I'm not expecting anyone to switch to another software, or any time soon, because it appears fixing the recent one was a lot of work.

FF 58.0.2 on MXLinux has this issue, on FreeBSD I use Chromium so I don't know.
I guess this is a bug in xenforo itself so I suggest you to report it upstream.
You know what it can be? When one browser doesn't support an element, or other piece of code. If webpage is not responding to that element, you can check that, and see if Chromium supports it. Then again, that is likely an upstream bug. It can also be from page errors that affect one browser more than another by chance.

The new look seems solid and ok. However one thing does bug me a lot. Why is the text area that describes the last thread so narrow ? The one on the right of the Messages column.
There's so much unused space between the topic and number of threads, yet the last topic text is short. Wouldn't it be possible to make this area larger ?

As picture is worth 1000 words

b.PNG

I find scrolling down, [ page down key ], one must move the subsequent page up a line to see all the text, or
23...31 etc one or two text lines remain bypassed during the page down reading
of a thread.

The new look seems solid and ok. However one thing does bug me a lot. Why is the text area that describes the last thread so narrow ? The one on the right of the Messages column.
There's so much unused space between the topic and number of threads, yet the last topic text is short. Wouldn't it be possible to make this area larger ?

That was what I was alluding to and why I suggested moving the side data to the top to make more room for thread titles and the author.

But the overall consencus seems to be everyone is pretty happy with it the way things are now, aside from a few requested tweaks.

I see I've gotten mine. I'd liked the way the old forum would jump to first unread post, and it seems the new one is now doing the same thing. Thank you.

Nice update, thanks. Works better on a phone with small screen for me. I have noticed now that the buttons (prev/N of N/next) to browse through the pages of a thread, are not shown on top of the page in portrait mode. Turning my phone 90 degrees to landscape mode, those buttons reappear. Would be nice to have them visual no matter what viewing mode :)

As picture is worth 1000 words

View attachment 4476
is it better now?

That was what I was alluding to and why I suggested moving the side data to the top to make more room for thread titles and the author.

But the overall consencus seems to be everyone is pretty happy with it the way things are now, aside from a few requested tweaks.
I guess I just didn't get what you were talking about until he posted the picture :)

Bold tag ([ b ]) doesn't work any more when in code tag ([ code ]), as it was before:
Code:
[b]bold text[/b]
It was very useful to highlight some parts of "code", I got many posts with bold tag inside "code".

I think I figured out when it happens. Namely, if I go ...

and take the original post and separate it into multiple pieces (by manually adding "[" quote "]" and "[" /quote "] tags), ...

... and then it seems to happen at the places where I cut the quote apart.
I guess this bug should be gone. I believe it was caused by one of the addons that I installed in order to be able to modify the editor (reorder the buttons) which I believe disabled the bgcolor bbtag for some reason. I have reenabled it and it seems that the bug is no more visible.

Back