bhyve Problem with mouse pointer inside bhyve vm

My host is FreeBSD 13, and I'm now configuring bhyve to run a FreeBSD guest (version 13 as well).

If I put "-s 30,xhci,tablet", the mouse does NOT move at all.

However, if I remove that above, the mouse pointer moves BUT not synchronized with the one inside the VM.

What are the solutions - to synchronize the mouse pointer inside the bhyve VM?

It depends a lot on the VNC client you're using to connect to the VM. Some work better than others. XHCI doesn't seem to work at all for some reason. At least it didn't for my VMs.

• Thanks
Reactions: _al
Where did you modify the loader.conf file? In the host or in the VM? Because you have to do that in the VM. It works perfectly for me.

XHCI seems to only work on older Linux kernels, e.g. RHEL-9.x and so on. I seem to remember reading somewhere that a Linux kernel update made it stop working. I can get it to work by leaving out xhci_mouse="yes" but like to OP, it's not synchronized. (and keyboard shortcuts don't work).

XHCI seems to only work on older Linux kernels, e.g. RHEL-9.x and so on. I seem to remember reading somewhere that a Linux kernel update made it stop working. I can get it to work by leaving out xhci_mouse="yes" but like to OP, it's not synchronized. (and keyboard shortcuts don't work).
We are talking of FreeBSD guest here, not linux. But, I would like to have a trick for debian and the likes.

Try to install port "utouch-kmod". It is needed to fix the mouse movements. I got the information to add the kernel module to
/boot/loader.conf by installing the port. I didn't get any information when I have installed the package.

I don't know why. I installed it, then tried running it both with and without the xhci_mouse = "yes" line, but I still saw both a mouse pointer, and a small dot, which seemed to be the mouse. It's not that important, as almost all my bhyve instances are usually done with console or ssh.

Back