Solved Portupgrade build error related to graphics firmware

Following a Perl version error on which make (firefox) stopped:

Code:
 # /usr/ports/www/ cd /usr/ports/www/firefox && make reinstall clean

===>   firefox-100.0_1,2 depends on executable: node - not found
Error a dependency refers to a non existing origin: /usr/ports/www/node in BUILD_DEPENDS

===>   firefox-100.0_1,2 depends on package: perl5>=5.32.r0<5.33 - found
Errors with dependencies.
***Error Code 1

Stop
make[2]: stopped in /usr/ports/www/firefox
*** Error code 1

Stop
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/www/firefox
*** Error code 1

Code:
portupgrade -a

to set [ICODE]MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=yes[/ICODE] and rebuild before reporting the failure to
the maintainer.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/graphics/gpu-firmware-amd-kmod
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/graphics/gpu-firmware-kmod
egrep: empty (sub)expression
** Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/bin/script -qa /tmp/portupgrade20220503-78901-bgirr1 env UPGRADE_TOOL=portupgrade UPGRADE_PORT=gpu-firmware-kmod-g20210330 UPGRADE_PORT_VER=g20210330 make

** Fix the problem and try again.
** Listing the failed packages (-:ignored / *:skipped / !:failed)
    - sysutils/lsof (marked as IGNORE)
    ! graphics/gpu-firmware-kmod (gpu-firmware-kmod-g20210330)    (unknown build error)

Last edited:
Code:
===> firefox-100.0_1,2 depends on executable: node - not found 
Error a dependency refers to a non existing origin: /usr/ports/www/node in BUILD_DEPENDS
Your ports tree appears to be incomplete.

Your ports tree appears to be incomplete.

Thank you SirDice. This is what I did:

cd /usr/ports/www/firefox && make install clean

# following errors that said something about node (or node.js?) I tried to update node. This is what I did:

104 whereis node 105 portsnap update /usr/ports/www/node #didn't work# 106 portsnap update -p /usr/ports/www/node

#there was an error that said I needed to extract first#

107 portsnap extract -p /usr/ports/www/node

# I searched further, found this information on this freshportorg page which might not really be relevant but thought there was another node port named node14, I thought I should extract node14 also.

108 portsnap extract -p /usr/ports/www/node14

But in both these branches, the extract command appeared to extract the entire tree, I thought the /node and /node14 branches now had a replication of the entire ports tree as under /usr/ports, possibly thewhole tree in both node and node14 branches.

109 rm /usr/ports/www/node14/* 110 rmdir -p /usr/ports/www/node14/ 111 rmdir -r -p /usr/ports/www/node14/ 112 rm -r /usr/ports/www/node14/ 113 rm -r /usr/ports/www/node/ 114 ls /usr/ports/www/nod*

I removed node and node14 branches, which I thought probably did not exist originally, but that I added these non-existent branches by wrong commands.

Should I run portmaster -a ?

I thought the /node and /node14 branches now had a replication of the entire ports tree as under /usr/ports,
These are not branches, they're directories. Treat the ports tree as a whole.

Code:
  109  rm /usr/ports/www/node14/*
  110  rmdir -p /usr/ports/www/node14/
  111  rmdir -r -p /usr/ports/www/node14/
  112  rm -r  /usr/ports/www/node14/
  113  rm -r  /usr/ports/www/node/
  114  ls /usr/ports/www/nod*
I suggest you remove your /usr/ports and do a portsnap fetch extract to refresh the entire ports tree. You've made a royal mess of it.

These are not branches, they're directories. Treat the ports tree as a whole.

I suggest you remove your /usr/ports and do a portsnap fetch extract to refresh the entire ports tree. You've made a royal mess of it.

I am ran this command as root

cd /user/ports make deinstall

Halway through, there was a crash, when it rebooted there was no console, could login in shell as user but not as root.

cd /use/portsf doas deinstall

Running now. After that will try to reset rootpw in single user mode.

I am ran this command as root

cd /use/ports make deinstall
This is a ridiculously slow way of uninstalling all your ports/packages.

cd /use/portsf doas deinstall
Are you just making up commands?

After that will try to reset rootpw in single user mode.
Why do you think ports/packages have anything to do with the passwords of root or your user accounts?

I install ports source with this script,
Code:
rm -r /usr/ports/* /usr/ports/.??*
cd /usr/ports/
git clone --branch 2022Q2 https://git.FreeBSD.org/ports.git /usr/ports
mkdir /usr/ports/distfiles
mkdir /usr/ports/packages

To update ports source,
Code:
cd /usr/ports
git pull --rebase --autostash

To clean the ports i use,
Code:
rm -Rf  /usr/ports/*/*/work

This is a ridiculously slow way of uninstalling all your ports/packages.

Are you just making up commands?

Why do you think ports/packages have anything to do with the passwords of root or your user accounts?

Yes it is very slow. But could progress to po
Code:
portsnap fetch update
and now building xorg.

There was a typographical error in the command I had quoted in my message, what I ran was
Code:
cd /use/ports && doas deinstall

After the interrupted reinstall, there was no GUI, the login shell accepted user login, but not root, this had to do with the root shell being bash and user's shell being sh. Got over this problem now.

I wish I saw your reply and that of Alan, now halfway through xorg make, if this doesn't work, I will follow the steps you have suggested to remove and reconstruct the ports tree.

You have absolutely no idea what you're doing, do you? That's fine, there's nothing wrong with that. But please stop issuing random commands until you understand what they do. cd /usr/ports && make deinstall is a really slow way of doing pkg delete -af. It's not going to do anything with the ports tree itself, it removes all your installed ports/packages.

You have absolutely no idea what you're doing, do you? That's fine, there's nothing wrong with that. But please stop issuing random commands until you understand what they do. cd /usr/ports && make deinstall is a really slow way of doing pkg delete -af. It's not going to do anything with the ports tree itself, it removes all your installed ports/packages.

Yes it removed all packages including xfce and doas, had some trouble getting back, rebuilt the tree, now make stopped at ports/devel/llvm13 and mesa-dri with error code 1, about all of which I have absolutely no idea, the suggestion now is to set MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=yes. Going through that now. There must be a way of saying I don't need mesa drivers, that I don't have lvm, but I don't know, it is a lso taking hours more than pkg install, but fascinating to learn this.

Thank you. I didn't read it line by line, but followed the commands to build the tree. Will do now.

To remove all ports you can use this script:
Code:
pkg clean
pkg clean -a
pkg info | awk '{print $1}' | grep -v "pkg-" | xargs -I {} pkg remove -f -y {}
pkg remove -f pkg

...make stopped at ports/devel/llvm13...that I don't have lvm...
LLVM and LVM are not the same thing. The latter is a Linux-only volume manager that is pretty sad and losing. There's absolutely no need for it in Freebsd as we have the far superior ZFS system.

LLVM is a back end to many popular and necessary compilers like rustc and clang.

Thank you SirDice, Alain De Vos and Jose for the helpful replies and pointers. I removed xfce, then tried port installing xorg which was not going well, then deinstalled xorg, pkg installed it, chose to install kde5 with plasma, that I did from the rebuilt ports tree:

/usr/ports/x11/kde5 make install clean

Started over 33 hours ago, on the plasma desktop environment now.

It was good to watch the port install process, after about 8 hours of continuous make install activity, make stopped with error 1 listing mulitple ports qt5-webkit, kdewebkit, plasma5-plasma, kde-cli-tools, dolphin, baseapps and kde5 every error entry saying make stopped with Error 1. I tried going to each of these sub directories such as /usr/ports/x11-fm/dolphin, one subdirectory of the ports tree after another for the ten componets that showed errors make install clean worked at 'subdirectory' level.

I got back to /usr/ports/kde5 and this time make install clean continued working without the "Stopped" error. Somehow the mouse did not work on the console options that the port install process presented, so the port install process had to continue with options unchanged. This is perhaps the reason why it took over 32 hours with a 100 mbps broadband ( I was watching and responding to the console prompts continuously for about 18+ hours, another 6 or more hours with some distraction, and there were about 8 hours of unattended time gap when the computer was compiling a long componet or waiting for a console reply. This is to say that port installation of kde took at least 20+ hours of activity.

After completion kde did not start, I followed some of the instructions from this page that offered a solution and checked if the installation was complete with the command pkg all-depends kde5 | xargs -n 1 pkg info | less it returned a list of about 22 packages, not clearly saying that they were not installed, I quickly found the directory for some of these packages, one or two seemed to have been not installed, but most stopped with the error that the packages are already installed. I had to mofify the ~/.xinitrc from what the freebsd desktop guide suggested to exec ck-lauch-session startplasma-x11 after which startx brought up plasma.

BSD boots to login prompt, I log in as user, startx brings up plasma. Trying to get the computer to boot to plasma on start up.

Update: Done. It boots to plasma login screen. Login works.

Another update: After a while, after a serious pkg update, experienced a login loop, solved. It seemed to be a problem related to the shell.

Last edited:
Back