PDF Readers & Editors

I'm not looking for an argument
No worries i know, i was just kidding... :cool:

I'm just looking for usable info

i wish i had the answer. I don't have to use office suite(s) that much for my job, mostly i'm on the other side of things.

That's why i wrote couple of tiny scripts to generate files (invoices,proposals, reports etc...) in different formats (csv, pdf, doc etc...) that i require.

If using PHP fpdf and https://www.setasign.com/products/fpdi/about/ - but think you might be talking more about GUI/CLI rather than programming?

Not quite what was asked for but this may be of interest: https://www.zotero.org/support/pdf_reader_preview

1. A PDF reader built directly into Zotero
  2. A new tabbed interface
  3. A powerful new note editor
  4. A new “Add Note” button in the Zotero plugins for Word, LibreOffice, and Google Docs
Together, these features let you open a PDF in a tab right in the main Zotero window, clean up metadata for the parent item while viewing the PDF, add highlights and notes, drag individual annotations to a note or create a new note from all of the item's annotations, cite other items right in the note using the familiar citation dialog, and, when you're ready, click a button to insert the entire note into your word processor, where you can continue working on your document with active Zotero citations.

Note sure if this will work in linux emulation. Source is available but probably not easy to port.

Wishful thinking, I wondered whether Wine would run the offline installer for Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (2021.005.20060). Not so.

<https://ardownload2.adobe.com/pub/a...atDC/2100520060/AcroRdrDC2100520060_en_US.exe> (183 MB).

WineHQ - Adobe Reader – latest rating Garbage.
Adobe Reader is just a ghastly ressource hog. If I have to use Windows, I use Sumatra PDF instead. Opensource, only around 7 MB download and also reads ePub, MOBI and many other stuff as well.

The invention by adobe of postscript was a great addition of functionality!
Exactly. They pretty much should have stopped there.

... in 1984 ;)

Obviously being a little dramatic but can you really say that Acrobat Reader from today has added so much more functionality compared to two decades ago (Acrobat 6?) as to warrant a 1+gig RAM and disk requirement? It is slightly mad in my opinion.

Where my partner works (a publishers), they all still use Acrobat Pro 9 in a Windows XP VM on VMware Fusion because it actually has *more* functionality than today.

Exactly. They pretty much should have stopped there.

... in 1984 ;)

Obviously being a little dramatic but can you really say that Acrobat Reader from today has added so much more functionality compared to two decades ago (Acrobat 6?) as to warrant a 1+gig RAM and disk requirement? It is slightly mad in my opinion.

Where my partner works (a publishers), they all still use Acrobat Pro 9 in a Windows XP VM on VMware Fusion because it actually has *more* functionality than today.
Actually, most of the functionality moved behind a paywall to Adobe Creative Cloud, and the bloat on localhost is just the code that Adobe had to come up with to enforce the licenses and protect their revenue stream. ;)

Actually, most of the functionality moved behind a paywall to Adobe Creative Cloud, and the bloat on localhost is just the code that Adobe had to come up with to enforce the licenses and protect their revenue stream. ;)
Yep. I certainly agree with that observation!

As a PDF reader i use graphics/mupdf

I switched to usr/ports/graphics/mupdf on Freebsd 13.0 the make command is fetching and building one source file after another for the last 30 minutes, still building ... two screenshots attached. mupdf 2.pngmupdf make from the ports tree.png

Does it take so long to build a PDF reader from the source tree?

Thanks

Is there a reason why you build it from ports?

This post and some of my following posts in this thread and some of the responses are not quite about PDF readers and Editors, apologies for the distraction away from the topic of this thread.

I am doing this to understand the process of installing software from source using the Ports collection. I am puzzled at what is happening for the last 3 hours following error messages while running /usr/ports/sysutlis/lsof # make, tried to fix it by following instructions from page https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/ports/#ports-using-portsnap-method now watching the terminal after portmaster -afor the past 3 hours compiling, running, building software I haven't even heard about, rustc, CARGO

Attachments

• portmaster -L command.png
    portmaster -L command.png
    157 KB · Views: 84
  • portmaster command.png
    portmaster command.png
    178.4 KB · Views: 85
  • portmasterL followed by portmastera.png
    portmasterL followed by portmastera.png
    106.7 KB · Views: 93
  • portmasterL progress1.png
    portmasterL progress1.png
    106.7 KB · Views: 91
  • portmastera terminal shows rustc CARGO as building.png
    portmastera terminal shows rustc CARGO as building.png
    416.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Aim for (or create) a topic with poudriere in the title. Meantime, in as few words as possible: ports-mgmt/poudriere-devel is our friend.
Port installed Poudriere with the command cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/poudriere-devel/ && make install clean The warnings are: Files in usr/local/libexec/poudriere/jexecd may act as network servers and may pose a remote security risk and scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/poudriered would start network servers at boot time,

What happens when I stop netif? Does netif stop jexecd and poudriered too?

Port installed Poudriere with the command cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/poudriere-devel/ && make install clean The warnings are: Files in usr/local/libexec/poudriere/jexecd may act as network servers and may pose a remote security risk and scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/poudriered would start network servers at boot time,

What happens when I stop netif? Does netif stop jexecd and poudriered too?
grahamperrin : I know you're a big fan of Poudriere, but Sivasubramanian M sounds like they're still getting the hang of the ports vs pkg... and the related dependency hell. What Sivasubramanian M is reporting - that's frankly normal operation of the compilation process, and it will eventually finish.

grahamperrin : I know you're a big fan of Poudriere, but Sivasubramanian M sounds like they're still getting the hang of the ports vs pkg... and the related dependency hell. What Sivasubramanian M is reporting - that's frankly normal operation of the compilation process, and it will eventually finish.

Thank you astyle. It did finish smoothly. Just that I didn't expect it to take 5 hours. After reboot I checked the size of disk usage, it was less than a total of 5GB including the original install and a very few files. What grahamperrin suggested opened up something new, something that is interesting to learn. Does Poudriere work somewhat like a Virtual machine within a desktop ?

Does Poudriere work somewhat like a Virtual machine within a desktop ?
Nope.

Poudriere is more like a collection of scripts to automate the building of ports and repos. poudriere.conf is a .conf file where you keep track of options for the ports file, names of jails, port trees, and the like.

You can run a compilation inside a jail on your own - but there's a lot of details to keep track of and line up. Poudriere tries to automate that bookkeeping for you, so that the output is a usable repo that you can point pkg(8) at. VM's try to emulate an entire computer. Poudriere doesn't try to do that, it only automates the details of the build process for ports.

FWIW, I got into Poudriere because I wanted to be able to upgrade KDE on my FreeBSD installation - kind of like upgrading my favorite app on my phone. Compiling KDE into installable packages - that is a major headache. Trying to create packages that I can use to upgrade my KDE installation - now this is a job made easier by Poudriere. But - I've been at it since June of last year, and I'm still not done lining up all the necessary details.

now watching the terminal after portmaster -afor the past 3 hours compiling, running, building software I haven't even heard about, rustc, CARGO
If you just want to build a single program from ports and not all its dependencies, use make install-missing-packages to get those installed through pkg before running make. Otherwise all dependencies and dependencies of dependencies that aren't installed yet will be compiled, which can take a huge amount of time.

Which port(s) are you guys using for reading PDFs (viewer/reader) and editing PDFs?

By editing I am mainly referring to "high-level tasks" such as moving, removing and adding pages.

PDF support on Linux and FreeBSD is crappy as much as is crappy the format itself.

I can't talk for the QT applications but Evince/Atrill can do most of the interactive functions such as signing document etc..

What the aforementioned can't do is rendering properly printing PDF simply because rely on Cairo and the likes; MuPDF can render properly such printing PDF, it is baked by the same folks of Ghostscript! I found the latter in many Canon and Xerox rippers, basically office printers might be all based on Ghostscript and Cups, despite Postscript is the only thing that Adobe ever made.

Editing a PDF is a tragedy. You can try with Inkscape or LO Draw, I prefer the former, however the result won't be ever optimal especially for the text.

Linux has some advantages here... As a matter of fact exists a closed software called MasterPDF which allows to edit and manipulate any PDF like Adobe Acrobat DC or Enfocus Pitstop, it is an amazing alternative to both the latter especially for the price...

Once we had an alternative callled PDFEdit:

But it was convoluted to use, very buggy and unstable, it didn't last very much...

Back