PDF Readers & Editors

MasterPDF ... is an amazing alternative to both the latter especially for the price...

It is about $ 80 in the code industry store. Once upon a time, Opensource was a protest against proprietary software, the elephant in the room being Microsoft. Its Operating System today ships bundled as part of the hardware, if bought as software from Amazon India, the licence fee for Windows 11 Home 64 bit, for example, is less than that of this document reader. Has the opensource community reconciled to the idea of code locks and interoperability fees, and further progressed in their thinking to be willing to pay as much as that of the price of a whole operating system for what ought to be deemed as a component of it, and an essential element as a document reader?

what ought to be deemed as a component of it, and an essential element as a document reader
We're talking about a PDF editor. I don't remember Windows ever including any kind of PDF editor. On Windows 7 and earlier (and maybe 8 too) there even wasn't any PDF reader included, you would typically have to install Acrobat Reader. Nowadays PDFs can be opened by the default browser Edge, but that's neither an editor nor a nice dedicated document viewer. In Apple world, there definitely is a dedicated viewer included but I never saw an editor either.

I don't think many people would pay for a mere reader, indeed.

It is about $ 80 in the code industry store. Once upon a time, Opensource was a protest against proprietary software, the elephant in the room being Microsoft. Its Operating System today ships bundled as part of the hardware, if bought as software from Amazon India, the licence fee for Windows 11 Home 64 bit, for example, is less than that of this document reader. Has the opensource community reconciled to the idea of code locks and interoperability fees, and further progressed in their thinking to be willing to pay as much as that of the price of a whole operating system for what ought to be deemed as a component of it, and an essential element as a document reader?

You missed the point, MasterPDF is an alternative to Adobe Acrobat and Enfocus products which are most plugins for Acrobat.

There aren't alternative to edit PDF. Editing PDF had been for a very long a concerning for DTP folks: graphic designers, imposers.; etc... Then as usual business follows customers for whatever irrational need, so we have the modern PDF mess and PDF changed from "Printing document format" to "Portable document format; we may have better format for modern needs but we are stuck with PDF, which still continues to be good primarily for printing

We're talking about a PDF editor. I don't remember Windows ever including any kind of PDF editor. On Windows 7 and earlier (and maybe 8 too) there even wasn't any PDF reader included, you would typically have to install Acrobat Reader. Nowadays PDFs can be opened by the default browser Edge, but that's neither an editor nor a nice dedicated document viewer. In Apple world, there definitely is a dedicated viewer included but I never saw an editor either.

That is why at a certain point M$ tried hardly to push its own format XPS, even though the dominant position it failed to change habits that contributed creating to begin with. But the EEE scheme works with the small fries not with the other sharks.

… Does Poudriere work somewhat like a Virtual machine within a desktop ?

No. Essentially, it builds (and packages) the port(s) that you specify, and it can expedite things by not wasting time on unnecessary builds.

The main configuration file:

/usr/local/etc/poudriere.conf

Relevant lines from my file:

Code:
BASEFS=/usr/local/poudriere
DISTFILES_CACHE=/usr/ports/distfiles
FREEBSD_HOST=https://download.freebsd.org
PACKAGE_FETCH_BRANCH=latest
RESOLV_CONF=/etc/resolv.conf
ZPOOL=august

august is my main pool (other people might have named the pool zroot, and so on).

Example usage:

comrades, good my taste is with a lot of class.

Prepare to build (update the ports tree), then begin packaging Xreader:
  1. poudriere ports -u
  2. poudriere bulk -j main -v print/xreader
– option -v is for verbosity during the run of poudriere-bulk(8).

Just chiming in - these days, on win10, there's an option "Print to PDF" that is baked into win10 (and probably 11, as well). That much is free, and seems to be a replacement for Microsoft's own XPS format. If you get creative, you can "print" just a subset of the pages, or even specific pages, as though you're printing to a physical printer. Edge also offers a way to "Mark Up" the pages before you print them.

I know it's a bit awkward to look for easter eggs like that all over the place, instead of having it all in one place like Acrobat Pro, but you get what you pay for. 😩

Poudriere has even more easter eggs like that... You can accept defaults, and make do with that, or you can educate yourself about the available options, and line them up to get the output you want.

Thank you. I have gone amended the config file, but on the command as above I get an error related to ports tree.
That's because you have to set a LOT of stuff up first - the ports tree, the jail for compilation, etc. A good description of what needs to happen first, second, etc. is in poudriere(8).

Your error tells me that you need to set up a tree BEFORE running poudriere ports -u. I had to do a LOT of studying of what comes first, second, etc. before I got off the ground.

I'd suggest you get used to ports and dependencies first, and don't worry about Poudriere just yet.

Not a lot.
Not really frightened. Going through the steps:

76 sudo poudriere ports -c -p HEAD 77 sudo pkg autoremove 78 poudrere ports -l 79 poudriere ports -l 80 sudo pkg autoremove 81 portmaster --list-origins | sort -d | sudo tee /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/port-list 82 sudo poudriere jail -u -j freebsd_13-0x64 83 poudriere jail -l 84 sudo poudriere jail -u -j 130amd64 85 sudo poudriere ports -u -p HEAD 86 cd /usr/ports/sysutils/screen 87 sudo make install clean 88 sudo rehash # didn't work # 89 screen 90 screen 91 sudo screen 92 history # as root # 1 poudriere jail -l 2 sudo poudriere bulk -j 130amd64 -p HEAD -f /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/por t-list 3 sudo sh -c "echo 'nginx_enable="YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf" 4. sudo nano /usr/local/etc/nginx/nginx.conf 7 sudo nano /etc/hosts 8 sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf # set up nameserver as 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 not sure how to make this permanent #

followed these steps

Hmmm... Poudriere requires quite a bit:
  1. Creation of a jail with poudriere jail -c. There's a LOT of options. I try to match the host. In my case, I needed to add -v 13.0-RELEASE -a amd64 -j kde
    1. The -j option is kind of important to get right! Don't do dashes or use names like 'default'
  2. Creation of a ports tree with poudriere ports -c: Just that is not enough, you'll get errors if you don't set your options correctly. Naming correctly is also important. If you already have a ports tree created earlier, you gotta figure out how to point Poudriere to that tree. Otherwise, you gotta create your own copy elsewhere on the disk. I had to learn a bit of git just to get a handle on this.
  3. Creation of a list of what you want to compile. Sounds simple, right? Not so fast. There's several ways to do that, depending on complexity of the project. I had to learn shell globbing, sed and awk, in addition to pkg info.
  4. Set up a web server for the repo. That is a whole 'nother animal to deal with. You gotta install www/nginx or www/apache24. Installing and enabling is not enough, they need to be set up correctly.
  5. Correct networking is yet another separate bowl of fish to handle. Poudriere will still work OK, it will compile the ports, but fishing them out will be a major pain if web server and networking are not done right.
Still think that's "Not a lot"?

Oh, and skip portmaster. I ended up skipping portsnap, as well.

It wasn't quite a Windows Vs MasterPDF comment, but the point was that the opensource community that was vocal about the source code of the base operating system now happens to be reconciled to the idea of closed code in several crucial subcomponents and essential interoperability plugins that ought not to be so closed.

It wasn't quite a Windows Vs MasterPDF comment, but the point was that the opensource community that was vocal about the source code of the base operating system now happens to be reconciled to the idea of closed code in several crucial subcomponents and essential interoperability plugins that ought not to be so closed.
Even then, you kind of have to have enough expertise and credibility to be able to look at the source code of an OS and make sense of it. After that, you have to have enough sense to not launch accusations of a 'CIA-funded backdoor' when someone with more expertise could easily find a bug report. And too many cooks do spoil the broth - gotta have some quality control (Remember the University of Minnesota debacle over the Linux kernel?)

Even then, you kind of have to have enough expertise and credibility to be able to look at the source code of an OS and make sense of it. After that, you have to have enough sense to not launch accusations of a 'CIA-funded backdoor' when someone with more expertise could easily find a bug report.

Why would you bring in the CIA and backdoors in response to a comment about source code and interoperability ????

Why would you bring in the CIA and backdoors in response to a comment about source code and interoperability ????
My point was to show that lack of education about the development process (even in Open Source) and inability to properly look for information are an impetus for making far-fetched and unfounded accusations of evil intent.

It is often a lot of work to debunk those accusations (or to prove they have any logical merit). Yeah, it takes actually reading all that source code and bug reports. If you don't want to read and understand them, go ahead, get frustrated, and blame everything on CIA because that's what everybody does.

I think that if you re-read my comment a few times, completely, you'd be able to answer your own question, buddy. 😩

I have a link to a pretty interesting conversation right here on these forums about that:
Pay attention to SirDice 's comment about Hanlon's Razor (link in the conversation I pointed you to).

I usually use Gnome's Document Viewer (Evince) but at the moment it won't open PDF files and gives the following error:
File type PDF document (application/pdf) is not supported
Confirmed here with evince-lite 42.2 from latest packages!
I didn't try the non-lite package because I don't want to install half the GNOME desktop. Is it also broken?

Until this gets fixed you can use graphics/atril, which is very similar (MATE fork of Evince) but isn't affected by the issue.

Back