No wireless networks were found. Rescan?

I am trying to reinstall FreeBSD -- again -- because someone had me run % cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | nc termbin.com 9999, and I didn't receive any convincing evidence that the command is 100% safe.
Like i said in the other thread, running the command is pretty safe as long as you don't send sensitive information.
No need to reinstall FreeBSD because you ran it.

Update: After 20+ attempts, the installer finally found Wi-Fi networks. I have just finished installing FreeBSD and am about to install KDE. This thread is still open, and I would be very grateful to anyone who can help, since I will probably need to install FreeBSD again at some point.

Like i said in the other thread, running the command is pretty safe as long as you don't send sensitive information.
No need to reinstall FreeBSD because you ran it.
It's not that I don't believe you (after all, SirDice instructs members to run the same command); it's just that I'm overly cautious when it comes to cybersecurity. Plus, I wanted to see if I could figure out why the installer doesn't find Wi-Fi networks. For what it's worth, when I Google queries relating to "netcat" and "security," it does appear netcat can open a backdoor to allow crackers into a system. I don't know if that's relevant to the command you had me run, though.

It recognises the iwm0, and associates it with wlan0. It looks fine to me, and beside, you've said that it's working now. You're all set.
One thing, I don't think there's a problem with FreeBSD itself, and if it ever happens again, Factory Reset the modem, and stick to minimum defaults, and test.
I don't know what brand/model you are using, but I've encounterd similar weird situations (like yours), several times -- using TP-Link, in which a modem Reset and/or Restart fixed them.

It recognises the iwm0, and associates it with wlan0. It looks fine to me, and beside, you've said that it's working now. You're all set.
One thing, I don't think there's a problem with FreeBSD itself, and if it ever happens again, Factory Reset the modem, and stick to minimum defaults, and test.
I don't know what brand/model you are using, but I've encounterd similar weird situations (like yours), several times -- using TP-Link, in which a modem Reset and/or Restart fixed them.
I take it you didn't want me to run % cat /var/log/messages when installing FreeBSD then. I guess I just thought that would maybe tell you the relevant information.

Did you mean modem or router? I'm using a Samsung GX-MC990CL modem. But do you really think the problem would be with the modem, since the installer can't find any networks in the scan? (I live in an area where the scan should pick up about a dozen Wi-Fi networks.) I guess it seemed more like a computer issue to me, but I'm a noob.

Hi, grahamperrin. eternal_noob is right. I have a working version of FreeBSD now and would prefer not to install more stuff (or use nc, etc.) at this point. However, I feel that this problem of my computer not finding networks when installing FreeBSD is still a problem, and I am open to other troubleshooting suggestions. If I install FreeBSD again on this computer (and chances are I will), I'm guessing the computer would still have problems finding networks, which is why I am still interested in finding a solution.

Hi, grahamperrin. eternal_noob is right. I have a working version of FreeBSD now and would prefer not to install more stuff (or use nc, etc.) at this point. However, I feel that this problem of my computer not finding networks when installing FreeBSD is still a problem, and I am open to other troubleshooting suggestions. If I install FreeBSD again on this computer (and chances are I will), I'm guessing the computer would still have problems finding networks, which is why I am still interested in finding a solution.
You're open to suggestions? All right, here is a couple.
(1) Don't rely on the installer to do stuff for you. Follow the Handbook and learn how to configure things (e.g. networking interfaces) manually. What do you learn by reinstalling? At best, you learn something about... FreeBSD installer. What you want to learn, however, is the workings of FreeBSD SYSTEM.
(2) Make good use of your common sense :)
Before doubting that some command suggested on this forum is safe to run, you first need to LEARN more about how system works. People who suggest things here DO know about it.
Besides, what are you afraid of at the point when NOTHING is actually installed? What will you possibly "compromise"?? At this point you're just leaning. So what big secrets about your system are you afraid to reveal to the world? OK, we'll know what your laptop is stuffed with -- great secret indeed...
Well... use your logic and common sense. Learn one step at a time. Setting up wireless NIC may be a task requiring some attention and RTFM'ing.

(4/4)
...<snip>
Dec 12 14:10:39 falcon kernel: em0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection> mem 0xe1200000-0xe121ffff at device 31.6 on pci0
Dec 12 14:10:39 falcon kernel: em0: Using 1024 TX descriptors and 1024 RX descriptors
Dec 12 14:10:39 falcon kernel: em0: Using an MSI interrupt
Dec 12 14:10:39 falcon kernel: em0: Ethernet address: 54:e1:ad:e3:54:69
Dec 12 14:10:39 falcon kernel: em0: netmap queues/slots: TX 1/1024, RX 1/1024
<snip>...

Why not configure and use your em0 connection? If your bigger concern is cybersecurity, then using wireless is much less secure than using a wired connection. I recommend you use it exclusively while you sort through all these other, lower-priority concerns. You would be much more secure that way.

<snip>...
... it's just that I'm overly cautious when it comes to cybersecurity. Plus, I wanted to see if I could figure out why the installer doesn't find Wi-Fi networks. For what it's worth, when I Google queries relating to "netcat" and "security," it does appear netcat can open a backdoor to allow crackers into a system...<snip>

I had same problem. When promp ask me if I want change region, I chose yes. Change for mine and get back to rescan. Failed just like u so cancel scanning. One promp back this time chose no when asked for change region (already changed before) and then with new scan everything works. I saw all available networks. So basically just set region, then just get back and set to not change it.

Help!

I am trying to reinstall FreeBSD and am getting the following message when scanning for wireless access points: "No wireless networks were found. Rescan?"

I am close to my Wi-Fi router and the network is up. In my previous two installs, many wireless networks in the area always appeared at this step.

I think this problem might be related to the troubleshooting other users of this forum advised in my thread Time Is UTC, but Time Zone Is Local. None of the troubleshooting worked, so someone suggested I should reinstall FreeBSD.

I can't proceed with the installation until it detects my Wi-Fi network.
i just got done installing FBSD (again) and got tired of hitting the rescan so finally when it asked me again about FCC i skipped it then it scanned then it found what it was looking for. I picked the provider, skipped the DSN address part skipped v6, then at the end I dropped down to the shell and removed the WPA part in rc.congf, saved rebooted, then it grabbed an IP on reboot.

THIS is for a no passwd ( public) wifi that that worked on.

they've got this wifi screwed up now since v12 . they took one step forward by finally having the drivers for my laptop installed during the installation, then changed the line in rc.conf for nopasswd (?) as I have an old rc.conf from 12 where wpa hdcp is added. now you need to remove that for nopasswd and if you have a laptop and get into a spot where one needs to add a passwd you have to backdoor it and change everything to get wifi to work again. But that being said the above it how I figured out how to get pass that rescan again and again and again and again ... part of install. I did that twice ( on two installs) and it worked both times. so it might be as easy as that.

I've found it somewhere in here that on 13+ if the wifi connection is an open connection you now have to remove the WPA part which does work because that is what I have to do, and have repeated this process confirming it. on my laptop.

For re-scan repeatedly:

On installing the system, I've discovered if one is using an open (no passwd) connection at the part where it asks for FCC to just skip that part then let it scan for a list then with me it comes up with a list of connections to pick from. execute whatever as needed from there and everything just worked afterwards, for me. I've done this a few times now and every time it worked over selecting the FCC and going into a loop of re-scaning and coming up with nothing. whereas the formentioned it just gives a list on the first time around.

I do suppose it will not hurt to try it if someone has a passwd protected wifi connection as well, because if it does not work then it should get take you back to the start of the process like it already does.

if this process still does not work for them they can try skipping it all together then at the end, then instead of reboot, drop to the shell then manaully edit everything needed the try brning up the net on a wifi connection to ensure it worked before issuing exit to take one back to the reboot part of the install to finalize the install properly.

as someone else wrote and I agree, this wifi situation on FreeBSD is screwy they messed it up more then they fixed from v12+

so the steps I've used to get an open public wifi connection is
Install process as usual until I get to the network wifi stuff
skip FCC all together
it then scans for connections
it gives me a list of providers, I select one
complete that process as needed,
drop to the shell
edit /etc/rc.conf by changing

ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"

to

ifconfig_wlan0="SYNCDHCP"

exit, the using the installer to issue the reboot. then I have wifi when it comes up again,
Keeping in mind that is for a NO PASSWD wifi connection.

• Thanks
Reactions: mro
I can say that I found this same behavior a few months ago for WPA connection (not open) in the bug indicated in my last comment.
If I select regdomain/country, I go into "No wireless networks found. Rescan?" loop.
If I skip that part, it will find available networks.
Something is not right.

Back