Solved New Xorg switch from devd to udev

Notably, I ran fsck -p before mount -uw /
Run a full fsck(8). Preen mode only checks a couple of things. And make sure it actually fixes any errors it finds. It sounds like it's not fixing things and therefor the filesystem is still dirty.

Code:
     -p      Enter preen mode.  In preen mode, only a restricted class of
             innocuous file system inconsistencies will be corrected.  If
             unexpected inconsistencies caused by hardware or software
             failures are encountered, the check program will exit with a
             failure.  See the manual pages for the individual check programs
             for a list of the sorts of failures that they correct when
             running in preen mode.

Nope. I got the following output:
Code:
# fsck -p
** SU+J Recovering /dev/ada0s1a
** Reading 33554432 byte journal from inode 4.
** Building recovery table.
** Resolving unreferenced inode list.
** Processing journal entries.
/dev/ada0s1a: ino 963265 nlink manipulation error, new 18446744073709551615, old -1
/dev/ada0s1a: UNEXPECTED SU+J INCONSISTENCY
/dev/ada0s1a: INTERNAL ERROR: GOT TO reply()
/dev/ada0s1a: UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
# mount -uw /
mount: /dev/ada0s1a: R/W mount of / denied. Filesystem is not clean -- run fsck.
Forced mount will invalidate journal contents: Operation not permitted
#

Apparently things already were wrong executing fsck -p[/code]. How to run fsck manually I don't know...

Notably, I ran [cmd]fsck -p
before mount -uw /
You probably need a full fsck then, try with fsck -y

Is there any way to reach mouse deceleration somehow with udev? Before I had:
xinput set-float-prop sysmouse 'Device Accel Constant Deceleration' 2

With the new xorg, there's no such property anymore.

Update: Nevermind, found the libinput solution:
xinput set-float-prop 'System mouse' 'libinput Accel Speed' -0.75

You probably need a full fsck then, try with fsck -y
I ran a full fsck -y and there were a few problems reported. A second run made them disappear, and now my box runs well in multi user mode. The tty console works as intended and I could edit my /etc/sysctl.conf and save it. Working CLI is first priority.

The problems with the filesystem probably were caused by one accidental switching off of the wall socket extension and the numerous power-button reboots because the hanging GUI blocked the machine completely.

Many Thanks to Zeising@ and SirDice for responing so quickly and helping me out! That really is why I like it here so much!

Next thing is carefully finding out if and which extra settings I have to make for a working GUI.

Learned a lot from this, just by breaking things ;-)

Is there any way to reach mouse deceleration somehow with udev? Before I had:
xinput set-float-prop sysmouse 'Device Accel Constant Deceleration' 2

With the new xorg, there's no such property anymore.

Update: Nevermind, found the libinput solution:
xinput set-float-prop 'System mouse' 'libinput Accel Speed' -0.75

I was about to reply with something like that, but good to see you found out how to do it. :)

Can you check which version of libxkbcommon you have installed, as well as the output from setxkbmap -query? I haven't heard of any issues with KDE after the latest update to libxkbcommon.
And I can confirm now that after packaging the new libxkbcommon, my issue with the kde launcher is solved. Thanks for fixing this!

The kern.evdev.rcpt_mask sysctl needs to be set to the correct value in /etc/sysctl.conf. Default value is 3 (sysmouse+kbdmux), I now use 12 (hw mouse/kbd).

If you happen to use any custom InputClass sections anywhere in your xorg.conf (including files in the xorg.conf.d directory (for example to change keyboard layout), make sure to remove any Driver lines from those. In my case an InputClass for keyboards specified:
Code:
Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "MyKeyboard"
#    Driver "keyboard"
EndSection
The Driver line was the culprit it seems. After removing it xorg now automatically picks libinput as the driver and keyboard is working again.

Works like a charm, many thanks! Now the only thing is to make the kern.evdev.rcpt_mask persistent.

Some parts of pdf programs [ evince ... ] no longer accept key input. Is a fix for that in this thread?
evince, at least, was fixed today [ less than 24 hours after the line above was posted ]
regarding this input
issue by a pkg upgrade. Meanwhile other pdf readers took up the slack.

Anybody knows how to disable edgescroll on touchpad after the switch? It is now the default. Better yet, it would be nice to change it on the fly.

after rebuilding from src releng I had the same issues so I followed these peoples advice and now my mouse and keyboard work! thanks Mickey and Free-and-BSD:
I fell into the same pit just this morning, but after some fiddling now everything seems to be working again.

Default port options have changed from devd to libudev-devd, so those need to be reset and the port rebuilt/reinstalled:
(cd /usr/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server && make rmconfig && make && make deinstall && make reinstall)
BTW, I didn't even need to change any sysctl settings. Just installing libinput and xf86-input-libinput packages did the trick.
CONCLUSION: I REALLY need to read UPDATING before updating :oops:...

Thx in my case autoconfig works fine, all input devices was detected but until i change kern.evdev.rcpt_mask=12 the mouse doesn't work.

After having glanced over this thread, I was a bit worried to put 2020Q2 onto my desktop.
But then in fact nothing at all happened, and X works just as before.
So it seems this is some kind of a luxury problem, and if you just want a working X, working mouse and working keyboard, you don't need it.

Back