I plan to build my first PC with the following characteristiscs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D 4.4 GHz 12-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2 ATX AM5 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Monitor: Dell G2724D 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Monitor

Do you think the hardware will be supported by FreeBSD 14.1?

The board has a not further specified realtek 2.5 Gbit/s interface. That probably runs with the module from ports, but it is hard to be sure.

I plan to build my first PC with the following characteristiscs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D 4.4 GHz 12-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2 ATX AM5 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Monitor: Dell G2724D 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Monitor

Do you think the hardware will be supported by FreeBSD 14.1?
I can not find a Graphic Card in your list. And there is not a integrated GPU with your amd's cpu, so how do you plan to use it ?

1716829194438.png

Looking up the information for the graphics processor in the 7900x3d, the code name appears to be "Raphael"
Cross referencing with graphics/gpu-firmware-amd-kmod/ does not show that as currently supported. Because it is RDNA2, there is a chance it could work, but I wouldn't count on it just yet. Of course, this is assuming you are wanting to run an X or Wayland based GUI on the computer. If you are CLI only, then this won't be an issue.

Since the integrated graphics in the process is very basic anyway, I'd recommend getting a cheap used video card currently supported (check the list of firmware in the port, or get a supported Nvidia card) until the integrated graphics support comes in. Eventually it will, but this should not be a show-stopper for an individual workstation.

The board has a not further specified realtek 2.5 Gbit/s interface. That probably runs with the module from ports, but it is hard to be sure.
So I booted the 14.1 release installation CD and my network card does not even appear during Ipv4 configuration or by using ifconfig.

I have the same board and the Realtek 2.5Gbit adapter works for me after adding this to my /boot/loader.conf:

Code:
if_re_load="YES"

if_re_name="/boot/modules/if_re.ko"

The corresponding package is "realtek-re-kmod" from pkg.

For convenience I installed with a USB to Ethernet adapter, to get the package.

I wouldn't waste any time trying to get something from realtek working. Just put an intel or mellanox card in (10Gbit cards like X520 or Connect-X3 are dirt-cheap nowadays) and call it a day...

Code:
root@:" # pciconf -1v I grep -A1-B3 network none2@pc10:6:0:0:
vendor class=0x028000 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x10ec device=0xc852 subvendor=0x10ec subdevice=0xc852
= 'Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.' device = 'RTL8852CE PCIe 802.11ax Wireless Network Controller'
class = network
none3@pcie:7:0:0:
class=0x020008 rev=0x05 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x10ec device=0x8125 subvendor=0x1458 subdevice=0xe000
vendor 'Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.' ='RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller'
device class = network
subclass = ethernet
root@: # ifconfig-a
100: flags=1008049<UP, LOOPBACK, RUNNING, MULTICAST, LOWER_UP> metric 8 mtu 16384 options=688003<RXCSUM, TXCSUM, LINKSTATE, RXCSUM_IPV6, TXCSUM_IPV6>
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0x1100000
inet6:1 prefixlen 128
inet6 fe80:: 1%100 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1 groups: lo nd6 options=21 <PERFORMNUD, AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
roote: #

You wireless Realtek RTL8852CE is in the rtw89 driver, but Realtek RTW89 states it is still under development:
Driver is in main. Disconnected from build so far.
Support for Realtek's rtw89 driver. The driver should auto-load once committed, if not try to load kldload if_rtw89.
It does run a scan but nothing beyond.
Your wired Realtek RTL8125 is supported by net/realtek-re-kmod; see Realtek RTL8125 on-board not discovered and how to get it for an off-line system. If you happen to have a PCIe network card with a supported NIC or a supported USB-wifi dongle that's supported in base that would perhaps be the easiest way to get your PC on-line.

I am trying to install PKG using pkg add -f pkg-1.121.2.pkg in /packages/freebsd:14:x86:64/All and I get
Signature for pkg not available

I am trying to install PKG using pkg add -f pkg-1.121.2.pkg in /packages/freebsd:14:x86:64/All and I get
Signature for pkg not available

Can I do the method in #9 (tar xzf realtek-re-kmod-198.00_3.pkg /boot/modules/if_re.ko) on a live USB or is it only possible after installing the system?

Not tried it myself. I would think if you have the live USB write-enable mounted and make the relevant /boot/loader.conf changes on the live USB stick as mentioned in #9; they will take effect on the next boot from the USB stick. /boot/modules/if_re.ko can also be loaded manually by kldload(8) of course, but that won't persist after reboot.

Note that while you are running FreeBSD on the live USB you should be on-line ready, but I don't think the driver will be installed on the installation target. You can just as easily copy the driver from *any* USB stick to your local drive where you installed 14.1.

You can have an installed & working 14.1R from a live USB stick or cd/dvd (only without a working internet connection).*
After installation:
  1. Get the the driver for your RTL8125 on a USB stick.
  2. Boot your 14.1R installed system and log in as root.
  3. Mount the USB stick
  4. Copy the driver file as described in #9 to /boot/modules of your local hdd and adjust your /boot/loader.conf accordingly
  5. Reboot
  6. Verify that the driver is actually loaded, use kldstat(8)
  7. Set up your network connection further (see the handbook) and reboot
Describe any problems (and at which step) you may encounter precisely.
Final step when all has gone as intended and you have internet access: install the driver properly as mentioned in #14

* for the moment let's wait getting the driver working on a live USB stick.

managed to get online after installing the driver. The problem now is the display and running KDE. I installed drm-amd modified the rc.conf to have dbus, the module and sddm enabled but it won't start.

Good. While still working on getting X starting ok, disable any display manager (=sddm in your case) and start X manually. Normally, during the overlap of 14.0-R and 14.1-R, you probably need to build your driver from ports; see here. However, given previous messages in this thread, your GPU is likely not yet fully supported by the driver.

When the AMD specific driver isn't working, you should be able to get the vesa driver or the SCFB driver working. You won't get graphics acceleration until amdgpu can be deployed of course.

I have my RX 570 for these situations. As someone has already suggested, getting (temporarily) an older supported card is the time-saving solution.

sddm is not enabled and the system does not respond to tty change.
My monitor just goes on standby mode.

I will try over the next days and maybe buy a cheap gpu would be a viable long term solution

[...] would be a viable long term solution
If you mean that you must wait for a long time for a working amdgpu driver becomes available in ports, that might be overly pessimistic. Your CPU is not red hot of the presses ( Release Date: Jan 4th, 2023). The Ryzen 9 7900x3d has a RDNA2 architecture that is already supported in drivers in ports, RDNA3 support (in part at least) is reported (graphics/gpu-firmware-amd-kmod).*

First steps in trying to solve this:
  1. get your BIOS updated if you haven't got the latest
    BIOS update relevant for the 7900x3D in order to work "out-of-the-box"
  2. report the panic in more detail here on the forum. I can't help much with solving that, but others probably can.
Meanwhile, I'd remove the driver from the config; then at least you should be able to get to a graphics environment with the vesa or SCFB driver (probably the last as you'll have UEFI support I assume).

___
* The problem could be in the CPU ZEN4 architecture, but more likely in the "x3D" V-cache add-on IMO. The V-cache is not available to all of your 12 cores; in the Ryzen 7 7800x3D all the 8 cores have access to the V-cache, because all 8 cores are on the same CCD (a separate "sub-die") that is connected to the V cache. For 12 core some "switching trickery" has to be employed for cores that are part of a CCD that is not connected to the V-Cache. The 8 core 7800x3D doesn't have that problem; see also Linux on the 7950x3D (BIOS update relevant for the 7900x3D in order to work "out-of-the-box" from ca. 6:36 onwards) and is often described as the best gaming CPU of the V-cache variants.

Back