METIN-2 / METIN2 and other illegal software- don't ask for assistance on these forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
InsaneQlimax, do you want me to link to your Xfire and Hero-Gamers profiles, or are you going to admit defeat like a true gamer?

Anyhow: closed and shelved. No illegal software help here.

I'll spare everyone the "You're so wrong, this is not about Metin2!" PM I just received, and the sucking-up and feeble attempt at getting off-forum help from me earlier instead of posting in the forums like a bonafide user would.

Furthermore, this thread is now sticky and titled clearly, and anyone asking for help with Metin2 or other illegal software will be banned on sight.

[METIN 2 SUBJECT: CLOSED] Public_ip chooses wrong network

[ separate thread merged in - metin2 topics not allowed ]

Hi all!

I've made a metin2 server on FreeBSD 8.2 amd64, but when I start the server, it writes in putty:
Code:
PUBLIC_IP: 28.28.0.0 interface lo0
But 28.28.0.0 isn't my ip adress, and it has to connect at xn0, not at lo0.

Ifconfig:

Code:
plip0: flags=8810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
	   options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
	   inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
	   inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
	   inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
	   nd6 options=3<PERFORMNUD,ACCEPT_RTADV>
xn0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
	   options=503<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,TSO4,LRO>
	   ether 00:16:3e:72:0b:27
	   inet serverip netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast serverip .255 in the end
	   media: Ethernet manual
Of course where I wrote "serverip" there's my ip adress, I just don't want to make it public.

We've rewrote rc.conf repeatedly, but it didn't get better.

Oh, one more thing. The server's syserr is full of with this error message:

Code:
socket_tcp_bind: tcp_socket: Can't assign requested address

Probably it's because of the network-problem.

I hope that somebody knows how can I set that it refers to the right adress.
Please help me if you know, it's very important for me :S

[METIN 2 SUBJECT: CLOSED] I need any one to install 7.2

[ separate thread merged in - metin2 topics not allowed ]

Hello,

I have now FreeBSD v7.4 and I need any one install 7.2. Please I do not have any information about FreeBSD. I need some one do it.

Thank you

Nobody is going to do it for you. Why do you need FreeBSD 7.2 instead of FreeBSD 7.4 or FreeBSD 8/9? What is the reason for that specific version?

I knew it. This forum will not assist anyone with installing illegal software. Bye bye.

[METIN 2 SUBJECT: CLOSED] Tor question

[ Topic merged in -- Mod. ]

Someone told me that I should run my server through tor to prevent this one annoying guy who is obsessed with me to stop hosting the server I host. What I host with FreeBSD is an MMO, a publisher has a personal problem with me so he singles my server out --out of all the servers 10x more populated and popular than mine. He goes to every host I get to complain to them to shut the server off and that he owns the rights to it.. and blablabla.

What I am essentially looking for is a method for people to connect to the server using a client I provide, while at the same time not knowing the real IP address of the server. Also not being able to find out the real IP from TOR some how.

So I was wondering a few things.

1. Is tor really going to protect anyone from finding the ip to the server? Also if I run apache and a site will it prevent the same there?

2. Is it possible to set up tor on FreeBSD 7.2 32-bit with PAE and IPFW?

3. Will tor create some kind of latency issues for my players? (100mbit full duplex connection).

sneak said:
He goes to every host I get to complain to them to shut the server off and that he owns the rights to it.. and blablabla.
Simple question, does he own the rights?

Thats not how Tor works, it protects the user's privacy not the server's. For a user to connect to a server he needs to know the exact IP.

You could use a second server that would mask the main server and have it on a separate hosting provider. Just make first server redirect all the traffic to the second. The downside of this is that both servers have to have same bandwidth since the total bandwidth will be equal to the host with lowest one, so you kinda have to pay double the price. This will also add some extra lag unless both servers are close geographically.

Could you reveal what licence the software is using?

Tor can give you privacy, but it's not straightforward. You need too run a hidden service and users will need to have Tor too to connect to you.
There will be severe latency issues, I doubt it will be playable. This kind of networks have to have latency several times higher and more variable than direct connections, but to make it worse, hidden services are an afterthought in Tor and aren't great. Also, there's no UDP via Tor yet.
I2P works better with hidden services, latency will be lower. You could further reduce it by making privacy one-way, only for you and not your players. I think it would be usable this way. Still, porting the software to work with I2P, additional management, Java dependency and a quite memory-hungry app running in background mean that the solution is a bad one.
The first thing I'd try would be to talk with your next ISP about the issue. I think you could find one willing to do the job despite threats.
The second would be to use a VPN. Latency cost would be low and highly stable, bandwidth wouldn't be an issue at all. VPNs have to handle the threats just like ISPs, but I have a feeling that you have a bigger chance this way.
If it didn't help, there would be a lot of head scratching and probably I'd go with I2P.

Somehow I get the impression that the smell of METIN is in the air...

FreeBSD 7.2 + license issues, @Crivens? What gave you that idea? ;) Is it METIN, @sneak? Either name the software and the license it's released under, or I'll have to assume that it's about METIN2, and you've been here long enough to know what happens next.

Sorry DD, really NOOO idea how that crept up my nose. *whistle innocently*
The scenario just smelled strongly of metin, so I couldn't help me pointing this out to the fellow forumsics ;)

Can someone point me to where I can find out what the deal is with the METIN and FreeBSD, since these post keep popping up? I looked up METIN and it looks to be free so I'm really not getting this?

Just curious, I swear not trying to run it.

roddierod said:
Can someone point me to where I can find out what the deal is with the METIN and FreeBSD, since these post keep popping up? I looked up METIN and it looks to be free so I'm really not getting this?
Free to play, yes. Not free to run your own server, which is what this usually is about.

If I'm not mistaken that's just an add-on. Though I have to admit I've never played the game.

Doesn't really matter though. Things can be open source and still require a licence.

Well, downloading the source from SF results in a 87 bytes tarball. That's what I call efficient coding ;)

SirDice said:
Free to play, yes. Not free to run your own server, which is what this usually is about.

Oh..ok. I really didn't look hard saw windows and free on the page and went no further...OK, going back to Skyrim now!

http://www.elitepvpers.com/forum/me...in2-shutdown-illegal-private-servers-h-n.html

http://www.elitepvpers.com/forum/me...active-take-legal-action-private-servers.html
Our position on private servers
Over the past few weeks, our company TEC Interactive has started to take actions against the owners of certain Metin2 private servers. As we know many of you have played private servers, have friends playing them, or even are or were part of their staff.

Private servers, whatever the justification is, are illegal. The logos, imagery, content, translations and game code of Metin2 are the intellectual property of Ymir Entertainment which require a license for their use, commercial or not. Intellectual property rights are recognized by the laws of virtually every country in the world, with penalties ranging from fines to jailtime depending on the country and severity of the infringement.

I'm about to move this to the thread with all the other closed Metin2 posts, unless OP can convince me that there's a totally innocent reason to host a very specific version of FreeBSD behind a Tor network because 'someone' bothers him about 'his rights' ............................ (that's me holding my breath)

Our position on private servers
Over the past few weeks, our company TEC Interactive has started to take actions against the owners of certain Metin2 private servers. As we know many of you have played private servers, have friends playing them, or even are or were part of their staff.

Private servers, whatever the justification is, are illegal. The logos, imagery, content, translations and game code of Metin2 are the intellectual property of Ymir Entertainment which require a license for their use, commercial or not. Intellectual property rights are recognized by the laws of virtually every country in the world, with penalties ranging from fines to jailtime depending on the country and severity of the infringement.
I have no doubt they want everyone to believe that it's true, but I don't think it is.
There are countries with very relaxed copyright laws (Iran, Seychelles) where they probably don't have any rights to the content they crated at all.
Even in countries with more regular copyright, certain uses might be legal. In Poland one couldn't run their server, but could use some parts of the game (everything but code) in limited ways (i.e. for personal use). ADDED: And I wouldn't be surprised if there were more countries where running private servers would be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back