Solved KDE login hangs with circle stopping on FreeBSD 13

Before I just blow away my FreeBSD 13 Virtual Box instance, I thought I would check in with the gurus. I have been experimenting with FreeBSD 13 in VBox for a day. I used caution and bectl'd my way to a working system that had KDE installed. I removed my last bectl and then...

I too hastily power cycled the machine a couple of times when I ran into the black KDE screen (I know, ill advised, I should have Fn-CTL-ALT-F2'd and soft rebooted. Anyhow, I was testing the Plasma (Wayland) session after installing VBox guest additions and it still hung, so one last power cycle and now I can't log into KDE w/or without wayland. The SDDM screen accepts my credentials and then goes to the screen with the spinning circle. After a few seconds, the circle stops and that's it. The system is still responsive otherwise and I'm able to switch virtual consoles.

I have tried:
rm ~/.config

But it's still not logging in.

I do see drkonqi.core, and kwin_x11.core, but I'm no core debugging whiz.

Update: I’ve deleted all dot dirs that weren’t needed: .local, .cache, .kde, .gtk.., etc. Same issue. KDE circle freeze. I did notice if I jiggle the mouse, it grows, so the gui isn’t frozen.

- Can you run other window managers then kde ?
- Or try to remove sddm and put "exec plasma_session" in ./initrc to see what is going on ?

I’m guessing that XFCE would work fine, but it’s just a guess. I have commented out SDDM in etc/rc.conf and run startx manually w/.xinitrc - same result. I’ll try it with stderr/stdout redirected.

Does anybody know where kde logs are and how/if to enable them?

Well... this is a bit beyond my ken. Here's the tail end of xorg-session.log...

couldn't find any notifier backend ("/usr/local/lib/qt5/plugins", "/usr/local/lib/libexec")
org.kde.plasma.session: Starting autostart service "/usr/local/etc/xdg/autostart/vboxclient.desktop" ("/usr/local/bin/VBoxClient-all")
kf.notifications: env says KDE is running but SNI unavailable -- check KDE_FULL_SESSION and XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP
New PolkitAgentListener 0x803a49200
Adding new listener PolkitQt1::Agent::Listener(0x803a431d0) for 0x803a49200
Listener online
QKqueueFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: open: No such file or directory
org.kde.kmix: Mixer id was empty when creating DBUS path. Emergency code created the id= "OSS:::1"
Authentication agent result: true

I'm in the process of reinstalling on identical setup to see if I can figure out if it's KDE on 13 on VBox, or my power cycling that caused this or what the differences are between the screwed up system and a fresh install are.

Update: the clean install setup works flawlessly. Here's the broken version sterr:
xauth: file /home/wsenn/.serverauth.910 does not exist

X.Org X Server 1.20.9
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 13.0-RC5-p1 amd64
Current Operating System: FreeBSD palas.sentech.home 13.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE #0 releng/13.0-n244733-ea31abc261f: Fri Apr 9 04:24:09 UTC 2021 root@releng1.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC amd64
Build Date: 08 April 2021 07:49:01AM

Current version of pixman: 0.40.0
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Apr 15 22:34:53 2021
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
scfb trace: probe start
scfb trace: probe done
failed to set mtrr: Device not configured
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-wsenn'
kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/local/lib/libexec/kf5/klauncher'
kdeinit5: Launched KLauncher, pid = 945, result = 0
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
kdeinit5: opened connection to :0
kdeinit5: Got SETENV 'GTK_RC_FILES=/etc/gtk/gtkrc:/home/wsenn/.gtkrc:/home/wsenn/.config/gtkrc' from launcher.
kdeinit5: Got SETENV 'GTK2_RC_FILES=/etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:/home/wsenn/.gtkrc-2.0:/home/wsenn/.config/gtkrc-2.0' from launcher.
kdeinit5: Got SETENV 'XCURSOR_SIZE=24' from launcher.
org.kde.plasma.session: process job "kcminit_startup" finished with exit code 0
print-manager.kded: unable to register service to dbus
Installing the delayed initialization callback.
Qt: Session management error: networkIdsList argument is NULL
kdeinit5: Got SETENV 'SESSION_MANAGER=local/palas.sentech.home:/tmp/.ICE-unix/990' from launcher.
kdeinit5: Got SETENV 'SESSION_MANAGER=local/palas.sentech.home:/tmp/.ICE-unix/990' from launcher.
org.kde.plasma.session: Starting autostart service "/usr/local/etc/xdg/autostart/org.kde.plasmashell.desktop" ("/usr/local/bin/plasmashell")
kcm_touchpad: Using X11 backend
org.kde.plasma.session: Starting autostart service "/usr/local/etc/xdg/autostart/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1.desktop" ("/usr/local/lib/libexec/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1")
org.kde.plasma.session: Starting autostart service "/usr/local/etc/xdg/autostart/kaccess.desktop" ("/usr/local/bin/kaccess")
Xlib XKB extension major= 1 minor= 0
org.kde.plasma.session: Starting autostart service "/usr/local/etc/xdg/autostart/pam_kwallet_init.desktop" ("/usr/local/lib/libexec/pam_kwallet_init")
org.kde.plasma.session: Starting autostart service "/usr/local/etc/xdg/autostart/baloo_file.desktop" ("/usr/local/bin/baloo_file")
org.kde.plasma.session: Starting autostart service "/usr/local/etc/xdg/autostart/xembedsniproxy.desktop" ("/usr/local/bin/xembedsniproxy")
org.kde.plasma.session: Starting autostart service "/usr/local/etc/xdg/autostart/gmenudbusmenuproxy.desktop" ("/usr/local/bin/gmenudbusmenuproxy")
org.kde.plasma.session: Starting autostart service "/usr/local/etc/xdg/autostart/org.kde.discover.notifier.desktop" ("/usr/local/lib/libexec/DiscoverNotifier")
org.kde.plasma.session: Starting autostart service "/usr/local/etc/xdg/autostart/restore_kmix_volumes.desktop" ("/usr/local/bin/kmixctrl", "--restore")
org.kde.plasma.session: Starting autostart service "/usr/local/etc/xdg/autostart/powerdevil.desktop" ("/usr/local/lib/libexec/org_kde_powerdevil")
org.kde.plasma.session: Starting autostart service "/usr/local/etc/xdg/autostart/org.kde.korgac.desktop" ("/usr/local/bin/korgac")
org.kde.plasma.session: Starting autostart service "/usr/local/etc/xdg/autostart/kmix_autostart.desktop" ("/usr/local/bin/kmix", "--keepvisibility")
org.kde.kmix: Mixer id was empty when creating DBUS path. Emergency code created the id= "OSS:::1"
org.kde.plasma.session: Starting autostart service "/usr/local/etc/xdg/autostart/vboxclient.desktop" ("/usr/local/bin/VBoxClient-all")
klauncher: Exiting on signal 15
xinit: connection to X server lost

waiting for X server to shut down klauncher: Exiting on signal 11
QDBusConnection: name 'org.kde.kglobalaccel' had owner '' but we thought it was ':1.9'
QDBusConnection: name 'org.freedesktop.UDisks2' had owner '' but we thought it was ':1.5'
Delayed initialization.
The X11 connection broke: I/O error (code 1)
XIO: fatal IO error 2 (No such file or directory) on X server ":0"
after 326 requests (324 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = klauncher path = /usr/local/lib/libexec/kf5 pid = 945
KCrash: Arguments: /usr/local/lib/libexec/kf5/klauncher --fd=8
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/local/lib/libexec/drkonqi
KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = ksmserver path = /usr/local/bin pid = 990
KCrash: Arguments: /usr/local/bin/ksmserver
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/local/lib/libexec/drkonqi
....failed to unset mtrr: Device not configured
qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display :0
qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display :0
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: wayland-org.kde.kwin.qpa, bsdfb, minimal, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: wayland-org.kde.kwin.qpa, bsdfb, minimal, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

(II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

xinit: unexpected signal 1
If you see anything telling, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll be doing some investigating, but prolly not for a couple of days.

… clean install setup works flawlessly …

I have an almost clean guest that fails with the given symptom –

KDE login hangs with circle stopping

– at 13.0-RELEASE and 12.2-RELEASE-p6. Discovered after I updated the KDE-provided Quick start that's linked from <https://forums.FreeBSD.org/threads/kde-sddm-install.79790/post-505837>.

Re: <https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/kde-sddm-install.79790/page-2> I'm discussing the problem in Matrix. If the developers there have accounts here in FreeBSD Forums, I might shift the discussion to here.

Update: "Clean install works flawlessly" was not accurate. I hadn't installed virtualbox extensions yet. Once I installed the extensions, I got the same stopped circle. grahamperrin's work around took care of it.

So, I played around a bit including installing the 6.1.18 additions and adding the following to my rc.conf:
vboxservice_flags="-v -l /var/log/vboxservice.log"

after rebooting, lo and behold, I found the following error in my log... vminfo Error: Unable to connect to system D-Bus (1/3): Faled to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory.
hmm... dbus is enabled

so then I uninstalled additions and reinstalled legacy additions and the same error is present in the logs, so I give up. Looks like a problem between kde and the 6.1.18 guest additions, but logging doesn't tell the tale.

… Looks like a problem between kde and the 6.1.18 guest additions …

From today's <https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=254266#c3> for a different bug, but relevant:

… If additions are installed the best driver (and correct one) is VBoxSVGA. …

In the guest, please comment out any workarounds in e.g. /etc/rc.conf, reinstall emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions, remove x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware (if installed), stop, set it to use VBoxSVGA, start.

From today's <https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=254266#c3> for a different bug, but relevant:

In the guest, please comment out any workarounds in e.g. /etc/rc.conf, reinstall emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions, remove x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware (if installed), stop, set it to use VBoxSVGA, start.
Hmm. That seems ok, too. I'm not sure I like the way VBoxSVGA works, but I'll try it out for a while and see if I can really tell any difference. The fonts seem bigger to me, but maybe it just scales better than the other adapter.

I am having the same issue and installing the legacy additions also resolved the plasma hang issue. I have noticed though the only feature I seem to have is mouse integration. No auto window resize feature. The graphics seem to be limited to 2d as well.

… FreeBSD 13

… legacy additions … No auto window resize … limited to 2d …

To (re)gain features:
  1. in the guest, ensure that you're a member of the wheel group
  2. pkg install virtualbox-ose-additions
  3. stop the guest
  4. set the guest to use VBoxSVGA.
<https://www.freshports.org/emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions/#message> for the package message. Re: <https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=254266#c7> there's to be an updated message with the VBoxSVGA recommendation.

I have experienced the same problem on FreeBSD 13 in VirtualBox.

Using virtualbox-ose-additions does not work, but virtualbox-ose-additions-legacy does. (I am using VBoxSVGA).

Also tried both KDE and Gnome from the packages with the same result: the login greeter comes up but hangs after login. (Also, only mouse pointer integration works, not guest resize; I haven't tried anything else yet).

What is the default? I haven't made any changes as far as that is concerned, so it will be whatever the default is. How can I tell?
The default is quarterly. You can check this with pkg -vv.

Anyway, I have the same problem with latest repo. I test each new version of virtualbox-ose-additions since 6.1.18 and still no luck. So, I stick to virtualbox-ose-additions-legacy.

There is something really bugged in the 6th version. Sometimes, you can get it to work after numerous tries and exchanges between the 6th version and the legacy one.

I have experienced the same problem on FreeBSD 13 in VirtualBox.

Using virtualbox-ose-additions does not work, but virtualbox-ose-additions-legacy does. (I am using VBoxSVGA).

Also tried both KDE and Gnome from the packages with the same result: the login greeter comes up but hangs after login. (Also, only mouse pointer integration works, not guest resize; I haven't tried anything else yet).
I am also experiencing similar problem.

I am not sure if your problems are related to virtualbox additions:
you don't need virtualbox-ose-additions to install and run DE/WM
you will have not very comfortable screen resolution, but that is all.

There are two things that virtualbox-ose-addition provides:
1) mouse integration
2) virtualbox shares

you can get full screen resolution without virtualbox-ose-additions
also you can replace virtualbox shares with samba or nfs

so based on the above I think that you may have different problems if you can't login.
Have you tried to start plasma from xinitrc?

… virtualbox-ose-addition provides:
1) mouse integration
2) virtualbox shares

There's a longer list of features in the User Manual under 4.1. Introduction to Guest Additions. For me, the most important feature of emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions is:
  • bidirectional clipboard sharing.
Beyond what's in the introduction: other features include bidirectional drag-and-drop, which I don't recall testing; and memory ballooning, which I have not tested but might work.

There's a longer list of features in the User Manual under 4.1. Introduction to Guest Additions. For me, the most important feature of emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions is:
  • bidirectional clipboard sharing.
Beyond what's in the introduction: other features include bidirectional drag-and-drop, which I don't recall testing; and memory ballooning, which I have not tested but might work.
:) yes I could list all the options provided by virtualbox additions. My point is, that none of this is needed to get DE/WM working.
I have OpenBSD and DragonFlyBSD that do not provide virtualbox additions and have full screen DE/WM working. At some point I had FreeBSD-14-current running without virtualbox-ose-additions (not available) also working well in full screen KDE/Plasma5.

That is why I think that logging problems are not related to virtualbox additions.

Back