Solved KDE doesn't seem to be installed

I have the Xorg file
Now I have to work out how to use Mutt to mail it across to this laptop

P.S.: Hopefully they corrected the Handbook to include:
At runtime: do as root: mount /proc if you didn't reboot after adding /proc to fstab(5).
The handbook explains file systems, mounts, services etc in earlier chapters, so the KDE section really has everything you need and it's at least debatable whether adding a lot of text HERE makes sense…

I guess OP still didn't create a simple ~/.xinitrc as instructed in the handbook, so startx would automatically lauch a KDE session. Well, uhm...

Anyways just a side note: DISPLAY is a red herring here, because OP insists trying to run startplasma-x11 from the console. You never need to add it to ~/.xinitrc (and you shouldn't as it would break with multiple X servers).

I have to leave soon, since I didn't sleep this night... Should he come back while I'm sleeping, would you take over again? That guy is really patient to get FreeBSD + KDE up & running, but he's doing on an old i386 laptop... he's confused when & what to do as root and what should be done as user steve, and what is a command versus what goes into a file. Regarding preciseness: Yes, you're right; but if you're not used to that, you have to learn & get used to it 1st. So if your anger is gone, maybe drop him a PM that he can contact you? X11 runs, even w/o accel, but that can be fixed afterwards.
P.S.: let him cat ~/.xinitrc as user steve and mount | fgrep proc should show at least procfs on /proc (procfs, local)

Ok summary:
  • I updated my Handbook, it should be the very same like yours now: "Last modified on 2021-02-26 12:41:12 UTC"
  • I'm sorry that I didn't remember quickly that the xsession method is for xdm(8).
  • We're going the xinit method now => your (user steve) ~/.xinitrc should have just one line cat ~/.xinitrc: exec ck-launch-session startplasma-x11
  • you checked that /proc is mounted like I wrote above. A user can check that.
Then when you start X11 as user by typing startx, KDE starts but quits very quickly and that Xorg.0.log is the log file?

Just in case there is any confusion about that as well:

* /var/log/Xorg.0.log logs any output of the X server
* ~/.xsession-errors captures error output from clients launched inside the X session (and the file will not be there if there wasn't any output)

I'm not sure right now whether xinit/startx will use ~/.xsession-errors I'm just using sddm to login and start an X session.

It could be - this is a guess - you (user steve) just have to rm ~/.Xauthority and then this show-stopper about (EE) Failed to open authorization file "/home/steve/.serverauth.1109": No such file or directory is resolved.

FMLU the X11 server uses the vesa(4) driver. See the Xorg.0.log above.
EDIT getting a better GPU driver to run should be the 2nd step IMHO. For non-3D, any cheap vesa(4) mode will be sufficient. IIRC the modern linux-kms GPU drivers are amd64 (x86-64) only, for i386 we'll have to research (at least I have to). Maybe I should start my old i386 laptop to have a look?

[ 84.544] (--) PCI:*(0@0:2:0) 8086:2a42:1025:048a rev 7, Mem @ 0xd0000000/4194304, 0xc0000000/268435456, I/O @ 0x00004110/8, BIOS @ 0x????????/65536
[ 84.545] (--) PCI: (0@0:2:1) 8086:2a43:1025:048a rev 7, Mem @ 0xd3400000/1048576
Was the GPU specified by creating a line with BusID for in your Xorg config?

Example: BusID "PCI:1:0:0"

You can find out the BusID by using pciconf -lv | grep -B 4 VGA.

I agree with Mjölnir here as, although the driver will be important for good performance and extra features, it isn't the immediate problem. OP is able to launch the "default"/example X session (with twm and a few xterms). Last time I checked, KDE plasma desktop would run on any configuration as soon as the Xserver works.

Am I biting off more than I can chew here? I'm a layer 1 2 & 3 network man and my depth of knowledge (or lack of) higher up the layers is starting to show.

What's the current state of affairs? Did you check the prerequisites from above? As you can see, Zirias is keen to get your thang up & running, as well as I am. You helped me to learn much about myself (beeing imprecise two times, not checking the Handbook but acting on memory,...). SirDice is much more effective in this kind of online-support: 1-2-3 check, tell precise todo list, check success, next one, please...

Well, I'm the most "keen" to have people learn things that help them to solve problems themselves and therefore a bit annoyed we're kind of walking around in circles. Sure I'd like to help. But hey, it could be a lot more efficient.

Example: about ~/.xinitrc. Well, you might not know what ~ means in a path. Then you try google (whatever method of online research you like), and given this can be unsuccessful without an idea what to search, you ASK. Or maybe you're confused this file doesn't exist: then you ask whether you're supposed to create it. What you DON'T do: just assume the handbook means a DIFFERENT file, that has almost the same name, except without the period at the beginning, and further assume this is a typo in the handbook and ~ is just some weird styling or whatever...

That said: The expectation is that actually following the handbook will give you a working KDE plasma session. Sure it's possible to face a problem where this isn't the case. But we could be MUCH quicker here identifying that problem (if there is any) without this amount of red herring produced by sloppy habits…

So SAJM I just ASK you again: be precise. Double check what you do, and what's written in manuals. Ask about specific things you don't understand. Describe exactly (if possible *literal* commands typed) what you tried. Seriously, this WILL help.

It could be - this is a guess - you (user steve) just have to rm ~/.Xauthority and then this show-stopper about (EE) Failed to open authorization file "/home/steve/.serverauth.1109": No such file or directory is resolved.
that file ~/.Xauthority does not exist

My present state of play is where we left off last night.

I ran startx as user steve (not su) and posted the Xlog.0.log

Well, I'm the most "keen" to have people learn things that help them to solve problems themselves and therefore a bit annoyed we're kind of walking around in circles. Sure I'd like to help. But hey, it could be a lot more efficient.

Example: about ~/.xinitrc. Well, you might not know what ~ means in a path. Then you try google (whatever method of online research you like), and given this can be unsuccessful without an idea what to search, you ASK. Or maybe you're confused this file doesn't exist: then you ask whether you're supposed to create it. What you DON'T do: just assume the handbook means a DIFFERENT file, that has almost the same name, except without the period at the beginning, and further assume this is a typo in the handbook and ~ is just some weird styling or whatever...

That said: The expectation is that actually following the handbook will give you a working KDE plasma session. Sure it's possible to face a problem where this isn't the case. But we could be MUCH quicker here identifying that problem (if there is any) without this amount of red herring produced by sloppy habits…

So SAJM I just ASK you again: be precise. Double check what you do, and what's written in manuals. Ask about specific things you don't understand. Describe exactly (if possible *literal* commands typed) what you tried. Seriously, this WILL

please cat ~/.xinitrc into the forum, also ls ~/.x*. All as user steve.

cat ~/.xinitrc-save
exec ck-launch-session startplasma-x11

Attachments

• ls-list.txt
    1 KB · Views: 148
Back