Solved KDE doesn't seem to be installed

No no, you decided to go the xsession way, and I needed to make sure that you moved your ~/.xinitrc out of the way. Now did you sudo service hald enable, then sudo service hald start & check it's up & running with service hald status?

Please correct exec ck-launch-session startplasma=x11 (note the "=") to be
echo "DISPLAY=:0; export DISPLAY" > ~/.xsession and then echo "exec ck-launch-session startplasma-x11" >> ~/.xsession
You can also try right now from the running X11 in the xterm: exec ck-launch-session startplasma-x11

What happened when you started KDE from inside the xterm(1)?
I thought ~/.xsession should be in the steve directory. It is in root
Can you answer Yes to all the topics I mentioned in the list on the previous page? Except for [PMAN=(]hald[/PMAN] which is not needed if you don't have a webcam or don't need it.

Please let's asure the following topics

• you're logged in as user, let's say sajm, and the command id lists you're member of the video group. YES

• please post the output of cat ~/.xsession & cat ~/.xinitrc
  • DISPLAY=:0; export DISPLAY
  • exec ck-launch-session startplasma-x11

• Likewise, the output of cat ~/.xsession-errors Does not exist
  • bare, naked X11 starts to give you an oldschool xterm(1) or two. YES
  • you have sysrc dbus_enable & sysrc hald_enable both answer Yes, and YES
  • both services are up & running: service dbus status & service hald status show that. Both have PIDs

What happened when you started KDE from inside the xterm(1)?

Can you answer Yes to all the topics I mentioned in the list on the previous page? Except for [PMAN=(]hald[/PMAN] which is not needed if you don't have a webcam or don't need it.
Failed

From xorg it opened the KDE banner then exited
from the console its
DISPLAY is not set or it cannot connect to the x server

Do you have a file .xsession-errors in your (steve's) home directory? If yes and non-empty, please post it here; if it's long, attach (maybe cheat by giving it an allowed file extension e.g. .txt), else inline in [CODE]error log here[/CODE].
What do you mean "DISPLAY is not set or it cannot connect to the x server" I've never seen an error message that says: either this or that...

Do you have a file .xsession-errors in your (steve's) home directory? No it does not exist.

"DISPLAY is not set or it cannot connect to the x server"
is the error I get if I try startplasma-x11 from the console.

No you can't, that must be started from an already running X11. OK now I know why you get the error "DISPLAY is not set". Now again: please do as user steve on the text console: echo "exec ck-launch-session startplasma-x11" > ~/.xsession, then startx

No you can't, that must be started from an already running X11. OK now I know why you get the error "DISPLAY is not set". Now again: please do as user steve on the text console: echo "exec ck-launch-session startplasma-x11" > ~/.xsession, then startx
It opened xorg with 2 terms

That xsession method is for xdm(1)... You don't want that.
echo "exec ck-launch-session startplasma-x11" > ~/.xinitrc then startx
and you can safely rm ~/.xsession

I copied .xinitrc across to /steve

When I entered startplasma-x11 it still opens the KDE banner then closes again.

I am trying to redirect the output to a file then I can post it here

I need to see error messages. You can save (as user steve) mv ~/.xinitrc ~/xinitrc-save and then startx and start KDE from inside the running X11: in the xterm(1) window, type: ck-launch-session startplasma-x11 & press <ENTER>

Back