I am currently running FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE on a ThinkPad T400.

I will often be using my device, when the WiFi will suddenly shut off. i3status reports that it's "down" and wifimgr(8) is blank.

I've tried restarting all and any network-related daemons, to no avail, and wifimgr(8) doesn't seem to be able to bring the interface up, either. Also, my hardware switch is still in the "on" position.

I have been getting a few of these errors in /var/log/messages:

Code:
Feb  5 09:09:45 amethyst kernel: iwn0: iwn_intr: fatal firmware error

And I have attached the full logs from the point I started getting errors, up until I rebooted.

Can anyone help?

Attachments

• netlog.txt
    58.6 KB · Views: 50
Do you have Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG?
This happened to me in NetBSD [iwlwifi/wpi], and apparently it has the same behavior in FreeBSD.
The response on the UnitedBSD forum was: I wouldn't expect a solution. It's legacy firmware.

Curiously, I didn't have this issue in the past for FreeBSD/amd while it failed on NetBSD/amd. The recommendation was to use NetBSD/i386 where I reproduced the same error. 🤷‍♂️

iwn%d: fatal firmware error For some reason, the firmware crashed. The
driver will reset the hardware. This should not happen.
Just try if you're lucky with your interface (yes, duplicate):
ifconfig wlan0 down
ifconfig wlan0 up
ifconfig wlan0 down
ifconfig wlan0 up

Solution: wifi dongle or ethernet.

I find my error when searching for your device model.
I used iwlwifi (wpi), it has basically the same issue. Try FreeBSD/i386 to avoid what appears to be an issue with the NX bit.
Luck.

I have Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak] on two machines (Lenovo T430 & Dell E6430) and everything works as expected. T430 is running FreeBSD 13.2 and E6430 Arch GNU/Linux. For both I'm using the built in tools, wpa_supplicant for FreeBSD and netctl for Arch GNU/Linux.

I have Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak] on two machines (Lenovo T430 & Dell E6430) and everything works as expected. T430 is running FreeBSD 13.2 and E6430 Arch GNU/Linux. For both I'm using the built in tools, wpa_supplicant for FreeBSD and netctl for Arch GNU/Linux.
Do you have the same Wi-Fi adapter?
Can it be a regression in 14.0?
Wifimgr simply handles the connection via wpa_supplicant. It should not provide firmware errors.

Yeah, I've had issues with iwn on an HP Elitebook 8560w with Centrino Advanced-N wifi previously, unreliability in the firmware. My T430s doesn't have the issue, that was the case in 13.0, 13.1, 13.2.

The HP runs OpenBSD now and no such issue with the same wifi card. I use FreeBSD on a desktop using a rtwn TP-Link USB Wifi card, which is very reliable.

Yeah, I've had issues with iwn on an HP Elitebook 8560w with Centrino Advanced-N wifi previously, unreliability in the firmware. My T430s doesn't have the issue, that was the case in 13.0, 13.1, 13.2.

The HP runs OpenBSD now and no such issue with the same wifi card. I use FreeBSD on a desktop using a rtwn TP-Link USB Wifi card, which is very reliable.
I'll see if I can get a replacement PCI adaptor. In the mean time, I have an rtwn(4)-compatible dongle I could use.

I've also noticed that the bug generally only occurs when I'm watching a video or streaming music, so I could probably just do that on my phone instead.

Also, does anyone have any commands I can use to bring the interface back up without rebooting? It's annoying to have to do this when I have work to do.

I'll see if I can get a replacement PCI adaptor. In the mean time, I have an rtwn(4)-compatible dongle I could use.

I've also noticed that the bug generally only occurs when I'm watching a video or streaming music, so I could probably just do that on my phone instead.

Also, does anyone have any commands I can use to bring the interface back up without rebooting? It's annoying to have to do this when I have work to do.
See post #2

As root

ifconfig wlan0 down
ifconfig wlan0 up

If dhclient needs a kick, then

dhclient wlan0

Or wpa_supplicant

wpa_supplicant -B -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

I was having problems with my wifi a few weeks ago which I couldn't fathom - Thread 91200

This was using a 'Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak]' on a ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 1.

I was getting weird errors such as:-
Code:
iwn0: iwn_intr: fatal firmware error
firmware error log:
  error type      = "UNKNOWN" (0x00002074)
  program counter = 0x00009258
  source line     = 0x000004BE
  error data      = 0x0000000100000080
  branch link     = 0x0000925000009250
  interrupt link  = 0x0000D6BE00000000
  time            = 4175983029
driver status:

I never solved this, although I'm not aware of it happening recently.

Back