I'm interested in that book myself, so I took a gander at the book in the local bookstore this weekend. In the time allotment that you're allowed before the clerks give you the evil eye, I picked up a few things, including that about thirty percent of the book is never-before published material, updated to include not just the original 4.x but now 5.x thru 11.x FreeBSD. It looks good. Kinda pricey, but you're probably not "official" until you have this one.

I'm interested in that book myself, so I took a gander at the book in the local bookstore this weekend. In the time allotment that you're allowed before the clerks give you the evil eye, I picked up a few things, including that about thirty percent of the book is never-before published material, updated to include not just the original 4.x but now 5.x thru 11.x FreeBSD. It looks good. Kinda pricey, but you're probably not "official" until you have this one.

ronaldlees

Thank you so much for the suitable information. I will make a note ;)

These are all on my reading list, as well as a book on the C programming language (http://c.learncodethehardway.org/).

I've been very lucky to be given another chance at college. I'm well underway with my general courses already. Hopefully by this fall or next spring, I should be ready to transfer to LSU to study software engineering. I don't think there are any courses specific to unix-like operating systems, so I'm going to start looking for graduate school programs that focuses on that.

Thank you all for your responses. Cheers :beer:

Could you recommend some schools that offer such courses? I've been unable to find any with my Google-fu.
Washington University in St. Louis One of the top science schools in the country
University of Missouri

Those are two I have direct knowledge of. Mine no longer has an engineering school. I'm not aware of any real college/university that doesn't have C as part of their curriculum though I heard it depends on whether Microsoft gives them free Windows software. Then real science and learning goes down the drain in favor of product placement.

Washington University in St. Louis One of the top science schools in the country
University of Missouri

Those are two I have direct knowledge of. Mine no longer has an engineering school. I'm not aware of any real college/university that doesn't have C as part of their curriculum though I heard it depends on whether Microsoft gives them free Windows software. Then real science and learning goes down the drain in favor of product placement.

I remember when I took an "Intro to Programming" class as a post-secondary option at my local university while I was in high school. We were taught Visual Basic, and it proved to be absolutely useless to me after I had finished the class.

I really appreciate the links to those programs. I've taken a look at both of them and I'm definitely liking what they offer in comparison to what is offered at the local universities.

Back