Solved I finally have created an experimental BSD Project called CultBSD it uses uzip compressed with zstd level 19 compression its pretty fast.

UFS file system inconsistencies

6) Again i've tried anything checked the filesystems a million times no error messages whatsoever

Here's the source of the problem:

Code:
echo "formatting the main ufs partition  !!"
sudo newfs -U "/dev/"$thediskos"p4"

1631832033615.png

-U without (lowercase) -j gives us soft updates without soft updates journaling, which is risky.

Minor issues

User & – in the Application Launcher, for example:

1631860006132.png

Is journaling gonna make it less fast or it doesn't affect performance ?
The User& is shown on the live i don't remember but i will check it out

Code:

View attachment 11359

-U without (lowercase) -j gives us soft updates without soft updates journaling, which is risky.

Minor issues

View attachment 11361

Bugs:
1) Needs to install plasma5-plasma-pa and add a Pulseaudio Volume Icon on Taskbar sudo pkg install plasma5-plasma-pa (Plasma5 Plasma pulse audio mixer)
2) I did it again !
The scripted user creation file that installer creates doesn't include a Full Username or ask for a full username so adduser commands add as full username a user & that plasma's menu shows.
You can add your full username giving this command sudo pw usermod shortusername -c "Full UserNAME"

Code:

View attachment 11359

Minor issues

View attachment 11361

Code:

View attachment 11359

Minor issues

View attachment 11361

Is journaling gonna make it less fast or it doesn't affect performance ?

I do not imagine any impact on performance of the running system.

SU+J (softupdates plus journaling) journals all the metadata updates; that helps on system boot for fsck or integrity checks to run faster.

As far as I can tell, there's no comparable explanation in any of:

<https://sourceforge.net/projects/cult-bsd/files/> I see yesterday's cultbsd-alpha2-ufocult.img.lzma. Thanks.

7ac82c96fe7; <https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/log/?qt=range&q=7ac82c96fe7> from around ten days ago.

Testing in VirtualBox.

Normal mode

Kernel panic:

VirtualBox_CultBSD_13_11_2021_16_11_43.pngVirtualBox_CultBSD_13_11_2021_16_11_59.png

christhegeek please, did you upgrade packages before distribution?

Safe mode

Can't boot:

VirtualBox_CultBSD_13_11_2021_16_14_20.png

Environment

Code:
% pkg info -x virtualbox
virtualbox-ose-6.1.28_1
virtualbox-ose-kmod-6.1.28_1
% uname -aKU
FreeBSD mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd 14.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT #114 main-n250511-5f73b3338ee: Sat Nov  6 21:15:23 GMT 2021     root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC-NODEBUG  amd64 1400040 1400040
%

1400040 is slightly outdated. I don't imagine that it's relevant to what's above, but I will update.

Also, I removed the .img and .vdi files. I'll start afresh with a second extraction from the .lzma.

Also, in safe mode (with a virtual AHCI (SATA) controller):

View attachment 12012

With PIIX4 (IDE): kernel panic in safe mode.
Try the Kde Plasma release has less problems :)
It runs so fast even on the cheapest gigabyte brix on linux kde plasma brakes almost instantly and has problems with tearing and bad performance on freebsd is so much better try it if you want.
Its time for some more "professional" work so i will start from the basic freebsd packages extracted and chroot also i plan to make it in the form of a script to upload it on gitlab just for more advanced users that wants more packages or other desktop environments the builder script will ask the user to select the desktop environment and additional packages it will have some cool themes ofcourse cause the purpose is to make a freebsd based project with the WoW factor like some linux distros has.

But first i need to make a light edition in iso format with just openbox based on FreeBSD 13 as its better right now .
I had a user with a very very modern amd gpu that didn't worked with freebsd 13 so i decided to make a freebsd 14 project with the updated drm for better support .
Needs a lot of work specially when it comes to size that is very large but the purpose of the project was to also provide a fast working live portable system for people to use it on other computers.

Hello world there, hail to yee all,

First, please excuse my English and this personal self-introduction. It's not for the sheer pleasure to tell the tale of my life. It is aimed at providing elements for you to judge if I can belong here. If not, Chris, I have found your email address on your blogspot and I can write to you there instead.

I am not sure yet --yee please tell me-- that this is the very right place to post in. I have read (and sometimes skimmed) all the posts of this thread from its beginning and everyone here seems to be quite an expert.

Which I am not. Although running various Unices since 2008, I don't (and can't) consider myself yet as a Unixist: I am no developer, I am no coder, I am no packager, I am no bug-reporter. And I do not test OSes in virtual machines either. (Yet, I have distro-hopped my share, yes, and I did install OSes a thousand times! But always on bare metal.)

I am an end-user.

I eventually registered to the FreeBSD forum today for two main reasons (so far):

All my computers have been running various GNU/Linuces since 2008. And I have managed so far so that most of them remained more or less radically clean of systemd: MX-Linux, Obarun, Void, Devuan. (I'd like to make a special mention of Obarun, which is a very ambitious distro, of which forum was the very first forum I signed up into and whose developers and community are fantastic.)

Nevertheless, I now consider seriously going *BSD --not sure yet though that it will be FreeBSD: I also hear much good about NetBSD and OpenBSD, including the touchy issue of laptop support.

I have given a try (in live-sessions) to all recent available desktop-oriented and live-session capable "derivatives" based on FreeBSD that I know of, namely: GhostBSD, NomadBSD, LiveSTEP, helloSystem, Airyx. (I have even installed NomadBSD v1.2 & 1.3, successively, two years ago on real 32-bit CPU hardware, a netbook laptop. But I broke the system rather quick. I have tried again the latest NomadBSD on the same netbook a few days ago, but this time the right screen-resolution was impossible to set. I tried again with previous v1.4, still available, but the same joke occurred. I suspect there must have been a regression in graphic-drivers out-of-the-box support between FreeBSD versions 12 and 13...)

Anyway, among all these user-friendly "derivatives", and although I am also much impressed by NomadBSD for its portability and by helloSystem as being much ambitious and promising, yet, as of today, CultBSD is the only one I can seriously consider installing on my 64-bit laptop. --And for that, I'll have to erase a system that I am very happy with! It's no complain: it's a compliment! :D

So far, I have only performed one live-session (from a 8 GiB USB pendrive) of cultbsd-alpha1-thesupreme.img, as it was still downloadable in lzma one or two weeks ago --the sourceforge resource seems to have vanished since.

Before making the jump to installing CultBSD on bare metal I would still possibly have a few questions.

What I can propose in return is to give feedback of its usability from an end-user perspective. (I switched from Windows to GNU/Linux before Vista, I have little experience of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard as my daily system during one year. And, after having been mainly a Gnome2 and Mate user during 10 years, with little experience of Unity, Xfce and OpenBox, I have now become a huge fan of Plasma for two years, a desktop that has greatly improved these last few years! I have also been using LXQt on my 32-bit netbook for a year now.)

Since --if my understanding is correct-- Chris is devoted to build a GUI-oriented system that aims at being a gateway to FreeBSD for regular end-users (whether come they from GNU/Linux, Mac, Windows or... else), such feedback can be valuable to help reach this noble purpose.

But that's up to yee all people to tell if I may be welcome here, although not yet a FreeBSD user and not very techie.

Best regards from France!

Oneirosopher

P.S. @admins & moderators: If for some reason you think that some parts of this (long) self-introduction would be better placed somewhere else in this forum, please do let me know. Regards again!

P.P.S. Chris: Cheers for the fantastic job! Even in live-session from an old usb-key, CultBSD flies swifter than the host system of the laptop I tried it on (a Lenovo ThinkPad X230). That is amazing!

I'm using Linux since 1999 the last 2-3 years i'm using FreeBSD because FreeBSD is the Linux of 2021 and it has less crap and less shit means less problems.
Its more stable than linux (on some apps im using) compared to the previous linux distros i was using and i like it more.
I wanted to move this project to be done differently but i'm not sure if its good to create another project and name for that , and i have to make a new sourceforge account
and youtube channel and blog but i will keep the name and i will still make new releases with the old cultbsd way and i will work on the CultBSD builder script along with that.
I was about to move this project to another that everything would be done with a script but i decided to continue and start work on the builder along .
I wanted to create a FreeBSD project that has the WoW factor you can find on some Linux distros like Garuda Linux etc this project gives priority also to the portable usability
so it would be usable on a usb flash stick and you can use it on other computers without changing anything. Also the installer doubles as a cloner if you just enter your current installed
system username and password.
I had some plans ahead and i remove this project for that but i think i will work on both project with the same name CultBSD.
I like also LxQT with kvantum ,picom with backends and dual-kawase and the qt applications gives a consistent and cool theme on all applications.
My only problem was that i need to make it smaller in size so i will focus in that and on the creation of the CultBSD builder script.

PS1: Best is the enemy of the good.

Hello world there, hail to yee all,

First, please excuse my English and this personal self-introduction. It's not for the sheer pleasure to tell the tale of my life. It is aimed at providing elements for you to judge if I can belong here. If not, Chris, I have found your email address on your blogspot and I can write to you there instead.

I am not sure yet --yee please tell me-- that this is the very right place to post in. I have read (and sometimes skimmed) all the posts of this thread from its beginning and everyone here seems to be quite an expert.

Which I am not. Although running various Unices since 2008, I don't (and can't) consider myself yet as a Unixist: I am no developer, I am no coder, I am no packager, I am no bug-reporter. And I do not test OSes in virtual machines either. (Yet, I have distro-hopped my share, yes, and I did install OSes a thousand times! But always on bare metal.)

I am an end-user.

I eventually registered to the FreeBSD forum today for two main reasons (so far):

All my computers have been running various GNU/Linuces since 2008. And I have managed so far so that most of them remained more or less radically clean of systemd: MX-Linux, Obarun, Void, Devuan. (I'd like to make a special mention of Obarun, which is a very ambitious distro, of which forum was the very first forum I signed up into and whose developers and community are fantastic.)

Nevertheless, I now consider seriously going *BSD --not sure yet though that it will be FreeBSD: I also hear much good about NetBSD and OpenBSD, including the touchy issue of laptop support.

I have given a try (in live-sessions) to all recent available desktop-oriented and live-session capable "derivatives" based on FreeBSD that I know of, namely: GhostBSD, NomadBSD, LiveSTEP, helloSystem, Airyx. (I have even installed NomadBSD v1.2 & 1.3, successively, two years ago on real 32-bit CPU hardware, a netbook laptop. But I broke the system rather quick. I have tried again the latest NomadBSD on the same netbook a few days ago, but this time the right screen-resolution was impossible to set. I tried again with previous v1.4, still available, but the same joke occurred. I suspect there must have been a regression in graphic-drivers out-of-the-box support between FreeBSD versions 12 and 13...)

Anyway, among all these user-friendly "derivatives", and although I am also much impressed by NomadBSD for its portability and by helloSystem as being much ambitious and promising, yet, as of today, CultBSD is the only one I can seriously consider installing on my 64-bit laptop. --And for that, I'll have to erase a system that I am very happy with! It's no complain: it's a compliment! :D

So far, I have only performed one live-session (from a 8 GiB USB pendrive) of cultbsd-alpha1-thesupreme.img, as it was still downloadable in lzma one or two weeks ago --the sourceforge resource seems to have vanished since.

Before making the jump to installing CultBSD on bare metal I would still possibly have a few questions.

What I can propose in return is to give feedback of its usability from an end-user perspective. (I switched from Windows to GNU/Linux before Vista, I have little experience of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard as my daily system during one year. And, after having been mainly a Gnome2 and Mate user during 10 years, with little experience of Unity, Xfce and OpenBox, I have now become a huge fan of Plasma for two years, a desktop that has greatly improved these last few years! I have also been using LXQt on my 32-bit netbook for a year now.)

Since --if my understanding is correct-- Chris is devoted to build a GUI-oriented system that aims at being a gateway to FreeBSD for regular end-users (whether come they from GNU/Linux, Mac, Windows or... else), such feedback can be valuable to help reach this noble purpose.

But that's up to yee all people to tell if I may be welcome here, although not yet a FreeBSD user and not very techie.

Best regards from France!

Oneirosopher

P.S. @admins & moderators: If for some reason you think that some parts of this (long) self-introduction would be better placed somewhere else in this forum, please do let me know. Regards again!

P.P.S. Chris: Cheers for the fantastic job! Even in live-session from an old usb-key, CultBSD flies swifter than the host system of the laptop I tried it on (a Lenovo ThinkPad X230). That is amazing!

Hello out there!

Thank you, Chris, for your answer! And thank you Graham for the nice comment to my previous and very 1st post here! :)

christhegreek said:
I'm using Linux since 1999 the last 2-3 years i'm using FreeBSD because FreeBSD is the Linux of 2021 and it has less crap and less shit means less problems.
Its more stable than linux (on some apps im using) compared to the previous linux distros i was using and i like it more.

Yes, indeed! I quite concur with this. If you have some time for reading long prose, you may want to have a look at these two posts o' mine:

the reasons why I got interested in FreeBSD
in which I mention CultBSD. ;)

asking "Where 'Take Refuge'?" on the Obarun (linux) forum
where I draw audacious analogies between Unix and the Dharma!

To reformulate the long story short, in Buddhism (all schools of Buddhism! --except, maybe, the Zen ones), it is considered that the "Refuge" (Shelter) is three-fold:
- Buddha himself, ie the fully enlightened one
- the Dharma, ie the law, the right doctrine, the correct teachings
- the Sangha, ie the community of the devotees who are more advanced on the path

The analogical transposition I draw, for computing, is roughly as follows:

- the Enlightenment is: a way of computing where computers liberate the user instead of enslaving the user
(which might be "the Unix way" for the OS and the "KISS" principles for both the OS and the applications running on it? And more generally code-correctness!)

- the Dharma: is a correct reference documentation --"RTFM!"
-- it goes for both software AND hardware too: documented specifications (on the hardware side, we are very far from it! That is why and where Richard Stallman begun his fight!

- the Sangha is: the Community of advanced users --and the help they provide to each other and to less advanced users

Now, in a very general way: (ALL) SOFTWARE SUCKS! But some software suck more than others, and some suck less.

Linux-wise, systemd sucks and the linux kernel sucks: it's become a bloat. (In this regard, the BSD way seems much better to me.)

Unix-wide-wise, there is something that sucks indeed all over the place, it is the X-server!

(That is one of the reasons I wish I had the courage and expertise to give OpenBSD a try: they have the Xenocara project. --I don't know how good it is. But at least they try something else.)

christhegreek said:
PS1: Best is the enemy of the good.
As far as I know, it's a quote from my compatriot Voltaire. Beware: he was very far from the nice guy he is often told he was...

christhegreek said:
I like also LxQT with kvantum ,picom with backends and dual-kawase and the qt applications gives a consistent and cool theme on all applications.

I have not tried yet the v1.0 of LXQt --I run LXQt on Devuan Daedalus, where the version is still old v0.16. I can't wait to see how the version 1.0 is and behaves. It took them something like a decade to reach it. And the LXQt project, which is very humble on the public relations side, is actually pretty ambitious on the deed side.

By the way, PCManFM is one of the coolest file-managers I know of, even better than Dolphin in at least one regard: it "folders" applications and lets you launch them from the very FM, à la Mac OS X Finder. Which may be one of the reasons why it is the file-manager that helloSystem uses --or bases its (home?) file-manager on, not sure about this.

And when you consider (as still do many of us, ie everybody except the Gnome3 fanboys) that the desktop metaphor is still the best one to do actual stuff, a good (feature-rich yet simple) graphical file-manager is absolutely CORE to the experience and work-flow!!!

More digressions on file-management:

I have been a (reluctant) user of MS-Windows from 1994 to 2007. Among many other flaws, I was always amazed by the dumbness of Windows Explorer. (Even today, the MS devs have not yet managed to get it right!)

Much later, in 2016-2017, I have had a second-hand (Intel) 2008 Macbook. The highest version of Mac OS X that I could run on it was 10.6, which was okay because Snow Leopard was one of the best versions of Apple's OS, as far as I know. I liked it much. Yet, there were several (basic) features that were missing for me (who had already been running Linux nine years) in the Finder. One of them was the possibility to create an empty file. (!) Can you believe this? In Apple's 2009 OS, you just could not create an empty file in the Finder!... unless you would download and add a script, published by another Mac user, which was sort of a graphical front-end for command touch!?! (And that's what I did: I installed this unofficial "add-on" to my Finder!) And yet, it was not very ergonomic because you still had to use the mouse to click on an ugly button, instead of a keybind.

By the way, even in today (Plasma) Dolphin, there is no native keybind to create an empty file (and no way that I found to set one), which is tremendously stupid! (It is possible to create an empty text-file via the context menu. But then, even empty, it results NOT a 0 byte file, go figure why!) Consequence: I often run touch from the shell... (And when I say often, I do mean: several times a day.) Which is not a big issue for me, since I like to spend time with the Fish shell in Konsole. Nevertheless, UX-wise, it remains quite a mistake!

Now... to CultBSD!

Just a question, not a complain. When I run my first CultBSD live-session, a few days ago, I was eager to know how it would behave with the wireless (all good, sir!), with the screen resolution (all good, sir!) and also with the management of "volumes". On the latter, Plasma "sees" the volumes (say, a FAT32 USB-pendrive with personal data), and proposes to mount and open them, and then... fails to do so.

For having tried (also live) user-friendly GhostBSD a week before, and having noticed there is no auto-mount, and having performed a research on forums, I know that the user has to mount volumes using command line.

Still, I am curious to know if, in CultBSD, that is an intentional "feature" (due to your respect of FreeBSD policy of not auto-mounting volumes), --or a "bug", ie something you forgot (or failed) to fix?

christhegreek said:
My only problem was that i need to make it smaller in size so i will focus in that and on the creation of the CultBSD builder script.

Unless your attempt to "make it smaller" has something to do with the frugality and speed of booting and running, I personally think the size is not an issue per se.
Yesterday, I went to the next city to make some hardware shopping, in "real life" stores. (I am in France, the situation I am about to describe may be different in other countries.) A few years ago, I had noticed that it was already impossible to purchase a 2GB USB pen-drive (very handy to try most of ISOs out there) and even a 4GB one. Now, it has just become impossible to purchase an 8GB USB-key! The minimum you can buy in a shop is 16GB! (And yet, they are rarely USB 3 capable, go figure!)

christhegreek said:
I wanted to move this project to be done differently but i'm not sure if its good to create another project and name for that, and i have to make a new sourceforge account and youtube channel and blog but i will keep the name and i will still make new releases with the old cultbsd way and i will work on the CultBSD builder script along with that.
I was about to move this project to another that everything would be done with a script but i decided to continue and start work on the builder along.

What you call "the old CultBSD way", is it, for instance, the live-iso I have tried, namely cultbsd-alpha1-thesupreme.img?

About this very system, I have a few questions.

Let's say I want to install this system on a 64-bit CPU laptop (in case you want to know: Dell Latitude D630)...

A. Can I expect the hard-installed system to behave approximately like the one I run live?

B. Will there be updates? More precisely, will there be (security) updates for 1. the FreeBSD base; 2. the Plasma desktop; 3. the other third-party applications?

C. Will there also be version upgrades of these three different types of software components?

(Sorry for yet another Linuxian reference here on the FreeBSD forum, it's just aimed at clarifying my question.) You may have heard about the KDE Neon distro. Although based on Ubuntu LTS, it proposes the last Plasma experience, continuously upgraded. With CultBSD the Supreme, can I expect the FreeBSD 13 upgrading to future point releases (13.1, 13.2, etc)? And, in both cases (yes/no), can I expect the Plasma desktop upgrading, independently?

(Here again, just asking!)

christhegreek said:
I wanted to create a FreeBSD project that has the WoW factor you can find on some Linux distros like Garuda Linux etc this project gives priority also to the portable usability so it would be usable on a usb flash stick and you can use it on other computers without changing anything. Also the installer doubles as a cloner if you just enter your current installed system username and password.

Without meaning to flatter, and as far as I have glimpsed of it --remember: I have NOT installed CultBSD on real hardware yet--, the Wow factor is already there, dude! :)

I have not tried yet this functionality (and hence cannot give user feedback), but if you really manage to propose a viable feature that lets the user create a bootable image of the system, as s/he has customized it after installation, that would be more than great: AWESOME!

One big and decisive "plus" in the "wow factor" would be the integration of persistence for the user preferences AND data --on a separate partition, maybe? A bit in the same manner as what NomadBSD proposes. (A great project too, by the way!)

Speaking of which, it reminds me to ask: what are the filesystems that the CultBSD installer is able to partition to?

(If my memory serves well, the NomadBSD installer can perform UFS and XFS partitioning, defaulting on XFS. --But I might be wrong with UFS, maybe it's ZFS?)

christhegreek said:
I had some plans ahead and i remove this project for that but i think i will work on both project with the same name CultBSD.

Although I quite dislike reddit --that's one of the reasons I write here, and also one of the reasons why I do not stick with Void Linux (they do not have a real forum, just some stupid reddit thread!)--, I have seen on reddit an announcement for a highly experimental CultBSD based on FreeBSD 14. Have I been daydreaming or is that a fact? Is it what you are refering to?

If you do wish to manage several projects simultaneously --see what I think about it below--, then, you should care for legibility. Use, if not different names, at least different codenames. (It seems you already do, don't you? I've seen "codename: UFO" somewhere.)

Now about what I think about running several projects at a time: BEWARE! You know yourself better than anyone, and that's for you to know. But beware nonetheless. As far as I know, you are alone to run this crazy ambitious project. You need to rest sometimes. You need to live. Consequently, you also need to focus, so that this project leaves you free time to enjoy your life.

It seems there are here quite a bunch of nice persons ready to provide help, feedback, advise and so on. --Thanks to all of them, by the way!!!

Nevertheless, CultBSD is YOUR baby, right?

Are you ready to bear twin babies... alone?

If I was you (but I'm not!), I would try to make ONE thing really right instead of several half right.

By the way, it's on RoboNuggie Youtube channel that I heard about CultBSD the first time. When he shot his video, CultBSD was running MATE desktop, right? You have moved it to Plasma since. And I think this is a very clever move, for several reasons.

1. I think Plasma is now much better than MATE --and I have run both.

2. MATE is the default and flagship desktop of GhostBSD, and you don't want to compete with another FreeBSD-based graphical and live-capable system that has been around for so long, do you?

3. The very existence of a (Plasma) CultBSD can bring some other new users to FreeBSD. And a real solid bunch of them!

4. Unlike NomadBSD (with OpenBox), CultBSD might become something HUGE! NomadBSD is a project I have much respect for. (It is the first FreeBSD-based OS user-friendly enough to convince the end-user I am install it on his computer! That's already quite something...) But I fear that NomadBSD, as is, will remain a niche system. Quite an opposite way, a convincing Plasma-focused FreeBSD-based system can possibly become a GAME-CHANGER. Plasma is not just a desktop. As of today, it has become (again) THE desktop. (Partly thanks to its own intrinsic merits, partly because of the many flaws of the other desktops.) I am all the more convinced of this, that, at the very exception of Devuan on a 32-bit laptop, ALL the (Linux) distros that I have tried and installed for a year are Plasma-centric. One of them being KaOS (the most Plasma-centric of them all), a distro I wanted to try for some time despite the (very ennoying) fact that it's a distro with systemd! I have much liked it and even installed it. --And it is this very system I am about to delete to install CultBSD instead. :)

Which also reminds me to come to another feedback/question. I have noticed that you managed (quite well) to have the Plasma panel behave a bit like Mac OS X system menu (or panel, or whatever its name): when an application is opened, the left side of the panel holds the application menu. Well done! :) Especially for a laptop user: that's all the more space regained for the application window to view actual content. (It was one of the reasons Unity also made this UX choice back in the days.)
Unfortunately, it doesn't work with Firefox. I have tried to install the browser Plasma-integration add-on (available from mozilla) but it wasn't sufficient. Does it work if/once the Plasma-integration package is installed too?
(That's just a detail. But the kind of detail of consistency which, once fixed, will really make people say: WOW!!!)

I think you already know most of what I've just said. But I also think that it may not be useless for you to hear from a mere end-user like me. :)

All that being said, thanks again for the awesome good job, Chris, also thanks in advance for any further answers to my end-user newbie questions, and see you around soon in the cyberspace! :)

Take good care of yourself,

O.

… in CultBSD, that is an intentional "feature" (due to your respect of FreeBSD policy of not auto-mounting volumes), …

The system tray of KDE Plasma should automatically present a notification, with (at least) the option to mount.

My preferences are set to automatically mount this device:

1639308254003.png

First thing first If you like tiling window managers and you want an image with almost every software (including steam) preinstalled try the latest experiment
it is made with the old way a bit sloppy i may say. It is called CultBSD Studio/Ultimate Edition install it and you have an instant Studio with photo editors, Many Video Editors, Qt Creator for programmers and other stuff.
(I'm gonna be more serious in the future i promise i will also open a channel on Odysee so you can see the creation of my new line of releases with its builder script on github and the new light iso releases)
Don't miss the cheatsheet.

1 )About the mounting problem a fat32 partition should be easilly be mounted it might not be fat32 try mounting via terminal . Simple fat32 formatted usb flash sticks works on my computer.
I suspect something has to do with the live system that has read only /media folder i hope it doesn't but if that is the case i will fix it the next time with readwrite /media folder .
2) About the WoW factor i will try harder to improve also the design of my Installer's Gui and add some more options as i should have done from the beginning.
3) About the filesystems i use UFS you are probably gonna use it as a Desktop with a single disk configuration so UFS is Ok !
When you will have a sudden power-outage you will thank me.
4) About Mate and Plasma i have tried CultBSD with its heavilly themed desktop on the worst pc you can buy today a gigabyte brix bace something with an old celeron and 4gbytes of ram and it can run the desktop fine and fast , tried to test with linux with budgie and was slow and its graphics were broken for some reason and it can't run Gnome . Also i found Wayland is actually Slower i tried sway tiling window manager .
KDE Plasma can work on every pc from what i saw it consumes reasonable resources.
5) About Persistance and NomadBSD i like it too but its slow on usb its not its fault its how things are i was thinking a way to make a fast compressed image that will be persistent and have maximum performance but it would have to compress and save the modifications before you shutdown the computer i'm not sure if users would be interested in something like that.
I like nomadbsd and i liked also furybsd and i like any FreeBSD based project that has not modified a bit from FreeBSD not even its repositories/mirrors.
6) About the Plasma Desktop needs to be more cool i'm not satisfied with only that level of coolness :)

Sway is nice i like it but i think wayland its a bit slower than xorg i have tried on older pcs and seems to be slower. With modern hardware you won't notice anything i think.
lxqt is a nice window manager. I used it on my desktop , with qt5ct, before switching to sway.

Hi!
grahamperrin said:
The system tray of KDE Plasma should automatically present a notification, with (at least) the option to mount.
Thanks for your post, Graham!
Well, yes, indeed, it does: the Plasma system tray pops up a notification that proposes to mount the volume (in my case, a USB pen-drive, formatted in FAT32). Except it then fails to do so.
--Please bear in mind the issue I am talking about is in a live-session. Maybe it behaves otherwise once installed? (Is that your case?)

Today, I have tried another session, on yet another computer. (The first time, three days ago, I had tried on a Lenovo ThinkPad X230.) This time, I run a live-session on a Dell Latitude D630, to check if its hardware too is managed well. Same thing: boot all right, screen resolution all right, wireless all right, and the system flies! Yet, the same problem occurred.
Once again, I set automount volumes in (Plasma) System Settings > Removable Storage > Removable Devices > and then checked "Enable automatic mounting of removable media" and also sub-item "Automatically mount all removable media when attached". Also tried checking the other sub-item "Automatically mount all removable media at login", although irrelevant, just in case. But it doesn't work.

20211212_1656_plasma-settings_automount.png

As you can see, my USB key, named RED15, is listed in the attached devices. But I cannot check the boxes in columns "On Login" and "On Attach". Strange, isn't it?

Dolphin "sees" the USB-key too, as you can see in the following screenshot, in the corner, left and below. Here is the message I get when trying to open it:

20211212_1652_dolphin.png

Hence the question I asked Chris in my previous post. I thought it could (possibly) be due to a FreeBSD default behaviour/policy regarding mounting volumes, since I had a similar experience with GhostBSD --in a live-session too, shall I mention.

No big deal though. I mention it for feedback, and asked the question out of curiosity.

Now, if the same issue was to persist once the system is installed, that would be a bit more annoying...

--By the way (and completely off-topic), I've seen your name mentioned in the list of contributors and benefactors of helloSystem. That's super cool! :) The more I read and view about that project, the more I expect it will become something quite big!

Best regards,

O.

christhegreek said:
I suspect something has to do with the live system that has read only /media folder i hope it doesn't but if that is the case i will fix it the next time with readwrite /media folder.
Well, that could be a reason...
Is that something I can fix on the spot from the live session, changing permissions for this /media folder as root?

... And, sorry to ask again, is it something that is fixed once the system is installed? I'd rather know before installing on real hardware, erasing another system for such purpose. :)

christhegreek said:
About the filesystems i use UFS you are probably gonna use it as a Desktop with a single disk configuration so UFS is Ok !
When you will have a sudden power-outage you will thank me.
Thanks for the advise!
Besides, I don't see either the big interest of using ZFS on a mere desktop station...

By the way, I said in a previous message that the NomadBSD installer defaults on XFS. I was mistaken saying so. I have not checked, but I now seem to recollect better that it defaults partitioning in UFS (with ZFS also proposed alternately). Not XFS.

Yes you found a Bug !!!
/media should be read/write :)
The Live Media Needs a tiny partition on Ram to keep the /media/ mounting points for usb flash etc (For example /media/SamsungExternal or /media/USBDISKxxxxx etc ) nothing more than 1Mbyte at most little partition
It happens only on the Live the /media should be on Ram and be read/write :-O It doesn't affect the installed system i usually mounted my drives using terminal
and thats why i didn't found this mistake ! Thank you again !

This happens because i don't load everything to Ram only some parts that either needs read/write access and some that are better on Ram for improved performance compared to GhostBSD it occupies about the half.

Hi!

Thanks for your post, Graham!
Well, yes, indeed, it does: the Plasma system tray pops up a notification that proposes to mount the volume (in my case, a USB pen-drive, formatted in FAT32). Except it then fails to do so.
--Please bear in mind the issue I am talking about is in a live-session. Maybe it behaves otherwise once installed? (Is that your case?)

Today, I have tried another session, on yet another computer. (The first time, three days ago, I had tried on a Lenovo ThinkPad X230.) This time, I run a live-session on a Dell Latitude D630, to check if its hardware too is managed well. Same thing: boot all right, screen resolution all right, wireless all right, and the system flies! Yet, the same problem occurred.
Once again, I set automount volumes in (Plasma) System Settings > Removable Storage > Removable Devices > and then checked "Enable automatic mounting of removable media" and also sub-item "Automatically mount all removable media when attached". Also tried checking the other sub-item "Automatically mount all removable media at login", although irrelevant, just in case. But it doesn't work.

View attachment 12284
As you can see, my USB key, named RED15, is listed in the attached devices. But I cannot check the boxes in columns "On Login" and "On Attach". Strange, isn't it?

Dolphin "sees" the USB-key too, as you can see in the following screenshot, in the corner, left and below. Here is the message I get when trying to open it:

View attachment 12285

Hence the question I asked Chris in my previous post. I thought it could (possibly) be due to a FreeBSD default behaviour/policy regarding mounting volumes, since I had a similar experience with GhostBSD --in a live-session too, shall I mention.

No big deal though. I mention it for feedback, and asked the question out of curiosity.

Now, if the same issue was to persist once the system is installed, that would be a bit more annoying...

--By the way (and completely off-topic), I've seen your name mentioned in the list of contributors and benefactors of helloSystem. That's super cool! :) The more I read and view about that project, the more I expect it will become something quite big!

Best regards,

O.

Last edited:
Back