Solved I finally have created an experimental BSD Project called CultBSD it uses uzip compressed with zstd level 19 compression its pretty fast.

third pre-alpha

Cool.

VBoxManage convertfromraw cultbsd.img cultbsd.vdi

Previously-created CultBSD-installed.vdi, from my installation of the second pre-alpha, still at IDE primary device 0.

cultbsd.vdi attached as IDE primary device 1.

EFI disabled before boot – without this, F12 might be not recognised, we must not inadvertently boot from ada0.

VirtualBox started, F12, booted from the installer.

gpart destroy -F ada0 && shutdown -p now

EFI enabled, booted, CultBSD installed to ada0.

Shutdown with EFI enabled might culminate in a blackout (an issue with VirtualBox, not CultBSD) with the underlying state not visible until the close dialogue is presented:

1630327542871.png

cultbsd.vdi detached.

Booted, all good so far with one exception: I don't know the password.

Code:
cultbsd@cultbsdpc ~> df -h ~
Filesystem                   Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/gpt/mdroot1630324757    124G     13G    101G    11%    /
cultbsd@cultbsdpc ~> df -h
devfs                        1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
linprocfs                    4.0K    4.0K      0B   100%    /compat/linux/proc
linsysfs                     4.0K    4.0K      0B   100%    /compat/linux/sys
devfs                        1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /compat/linux/dev
fdescfs                      1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /compat/linux/dev/fd
tmpfs                        986M    4.0K    986M     0%    /compat/linux/dev/shm
cultbsd@cultbsdpc ~> pwd
/home/cultbsd
cultbsd@cultbsdpc ~> uname -aKU
FreeBSD cultbsdpc 13.0-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE-p4 #0: Tue Aug 24 07:33:27 UTC 2021     root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC  amd64 1300139 1300139
cultbsd@cultbsdpc ~> htop
fish: Unknown command: htop
cultbsd@cultbsdpc ~ [127]> pkg -vv | grep url
    url             : "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/latest",
cultbsd@cultbsdpc ~> passwd
Changing local password for cultbsd
Old Password:
passwd: sorry
cultbsd@cultbsdpc ~ [1]> sudo -u root csh
root@cultbsdpc:/home/cultbsd # pkg upgrade
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
Fetching meta.conf: 100%    163 B   0.2kB/s    00:01   
Fetching packagesite.pkg: 100%    6 MiB   6.6MB/s    00:01   
Processing entries: 100%
FreeBSD repository update completed. 30890 packages processed.
All repositories are up to date.
Checking for upgrades (0 candidates): 100%
Processing candidates (0 candidates): 100%
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Your packages are up to date.
root@cultbsdpc:/home/cultbsd # exit
exit
Old Password:
cultbsd@cultbsdpc ~ [1]> passwd
Old Password:
cultbsd@cultbsdpc ~ [1]>

With a few applications running – Dolphin, Firefox, KCharSelect, Konsole, System Settings, VLC media player, LibreOffice Calc, Impress and Writer – around half of the 2,048 MB base memory was in use. Not excessive ☑

Some time during installation of graphics/gimp, I noticed that the panel had disappeared from the foot of the screen. I could still Alt-Tab to switch between running applications, from which I guessed that plasmashell was still running. I minimised all windows to leave a black background – the absence of a desktop background was remarkable.

Alt-F2 presented KRunner, I intended to run something in ttyv8. Stupidly I keyed right-Control-F2 (equivalent to Control-Alt-F2 in the guest). Stupid because I half-expected what followed: blackness at ttyv0, ttyv1, and ttyv8. Where previously there was a partly usable desktop environment, there was no response to Alt-F2, Alt-Tab and so on. Broad-ranging, show-stopping blackness probably symptomatic of a graphics issue.

In response to ACPI shutdown: no visible response in the (black) screen of the guest, however the status bar of VirtualBox showed disk activity for a while. After this ceased, closure of the window allowed – as before – a view 'through the blackness' with:

Code:
…
All buffers synced.
Uptime: 1h29m36s
uhub0: detached

– so it was safe to (work around the VirtualBox EFI issue) power off the machine, which should have happened automatically.

I guess, this type of thing might be avoidable if I add a virtual disk so that swap can be enabled.

1630331074104.png

I mean of course you shouldn't but the main purpose is to lure more people to FreeBSD and show them its cool if not even cooler than linux.
You said something about vanilla of course it is 100% FreeBSD i won't install anything that has modified FreeBSD even its package servers .
NomadBSD would be something i would be glad to install and i have tried it its ok but if i was to use a portable usb FreeBSD it would be my own
because the compressed root gives a big performance boost. If you just install FreeBSD on a flash disk
it would be very very very slow and almost unusable not even try to install a heavy desktop it won't even start except we talk about high speed ssd external drivers and still its performance would be bad.
--- The idea is to have a ready installed system having all you need to start , maybe you're doing overtimes in your job , imagine being a programmer i'm sure you won't even talk about installing anything other than ghostbsd if you had to reinstall of course.
😩...
Same for me, that's why i would not install CultBSD. Vanilla FreeBSD it is, nothing else.
Don't want to spoil your hard work, but you see, there are reasons not to use your project.
I'm frankly of the same opinion as eternal_noob ... I think that a better way to accomplish the same results is to install a few useful packages and customized .conf files using a shell script. Basically, start with a barebones install of vanilla FreeBSD, download your own script from SourceForge using /bin/fetch, and run it. Make sure it's something that can be replicated. No need to reinvent the wheel from ground up. If you have that script debugged to the point that it can reliably work, then you just might stand a chance of getting it to be an official FreeBSD port. Such a script will probably not be more than 1 or 2 MB of text (as opposed to hosting your own .iso images on SF).

I think that a better way to accomplish the same results is to install a few useful packages and customized .conf files using a shell script.
You mean something like sysutils/desktop-installer or sysutils/mkdesktop? :) In such case may be more useful to try to add something to the existing solutions than trying to reinvent wheel again and again. Same applies to USB live system - there are already some, wouldn't be more useful to try make them better than add new one?

However as OP's learning excercise - go ahead and try what you want :)

The password is 123
Its not ready for virtualbox yet plasma can cause problems and give 5k res that can't be handled from virtualbox limited gpu memmory
You could run every other desktop and be working ok i've tried everything only plasma has this problem if i use xrandr and change res it would work
anyway you should test it on a usb flash stick you can see its fast enough maybe faster than linux distros like garuda kde (you can check this by yourself)
It runs a compressed root and i can make it run even faster !!!!
But because of that plasma reports falsely there's no more space on home where it should have at least 300Mbytes in worst case scenario

Cool.

VBoxManage convertfromraw cultbsd.img cultbsd.vdi

Previously-created CultBSD-installed.vdi, from my installation of the second pre-alpha, still at IDE primary device 0.

cultbsd.vdi attached as IDE primary device 1.

EFI disabled before boot – without this, F12 might be not recognised, we must not inadvertently boot from ada0.

VirtualBox started, F12, booted from the installer.

gpart destroy -F ada0 && shutdown -p now

EFI enabled, booted, CultBSD installed to ada0.

Shutdown with EFI enabled might culminate in a blackout (an issue with VirtualBox, not CultBSD) with the underlying state not visible until the close dialogue is presented:

View attachment 11140

cultbsd.vdi detached.

Booted, all good so far with one exception: I don't know the password.

Code:
cultbsd@cultbsdpc ~> df -h ~
cultbsd@cultbsdpc ~> df -h
devfs                        1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
linprocfs                    4.0K    4.0K      0B   100%    /compat/linux/proc
linsysfs                     4.0K    4.0K      0B   100%    /compat/linux/sys
devfs                        1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /compat/linux/dev
fdescfs                      1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /compat/linux/dev/fd
tmpfs                        986M    4.0K    986M     0%    /compat/linux/dev/shm
cultbsd@cultbsdpc ~> pwd
/home/cultbsd
cultbsd@cultbsdpc ~> uname -aKU
FreeBSD cultbsdpc 13.0-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE-p4 #0: Tue Aug 24 07:33:27 UTC 2021     root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC  amd64 1300139 1300139
cultbsd@cultbsdpc ~> htop
fish: Unknown command: htop
cultbsd@cultbsdpc ~ [127]> pkg -vv | grep url
    url             : "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/latest",
Old Password:
cultbsd@cultbsdpc ~ [1]> sudo -u root csh
root@cultbsdpc:/home/cultbsd # pkg upgrade
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
Fetching meta.conf: 100%    163 B   0.2kB/s    00:01  
Fetching packagesite.pkg: 100%    6 MiB   6.6MB/s    00:01  
Processing entries: 100%
FreeBSD repository update completed. 30890 packages processed.
All repositories are up to date.
Checking for upgrades (0 candidates): 100%
Processing candidates (0 candidates): 100%
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Your packages are up to date.
root@cultbsdpc:/home/cultbsd # exit
exit
Old Password:
cultbsd@cultbsdpc ~ [1]> passwd
Old Password:
cultbsd@cultbsdpc ~ [1]>

em0

– in an HP EliteBook 8570p.

route show default
  • does not show a route (in good time).
resolvconf -u
  • is appropriate, because the content of /etc/resolv.conf is incorrect for my router
  • fails, probably due to a read-only file system (I didn't bother to note the details).
I would have attempted a workaround to gain Internet connectivity, however edits to /etc/rc.conf and /etc/resolv.conf can not be written to the read-only file system.

… port. Such a script …

Porting might be good, however this misses a key point.

… trying to reinvent wheel again and again …

… No need to reinvent the wheel …

The invention here is welcome. It's an almost unique wheel.

Offhand, I know of only three other distributions one other distribution that can achieve this simplicity:
  1. download
  2. decompress
  3. write to an inexpensive USB drive
  4. boot rapidly to an immediately usable desktop environment.
Steps 2 and 3 might be condensed to a single step, if someone can suggest a method to dd the ⋯.img content of the ⋯.7z to a device.

… if the image is compressed with xz, …

Code:
% file cultbsd-third-prealpha-codename-ufocult.7z
cultbsd-third-prealpha-codename-ufocult.7z: 7-zip archive data, version 0.4
% 
… 
xzcat: cultbsd-third-prealpha-codename-ufocult.7z: File format not recognized
%

1630344583842.png

… If Garuda didn't had all these bloatware :)

Many people here might have fond memories of multi-desktop environment PC-BSD. I do :)

Me making many mistakes. Ha. Maybe someone can put me right.

Code:
% sudo 7zr e ./cultbsd-third-prealpha-codename-ufocult.7z | dd bs=10M of=/dev/da3
dd: /dev/da3: Permission denied
% sudo 7zr e ./cultbsd-third-prealpha-codename-ufocult.7z | sudo gdd status=progress bs=10M of=/dev/da3
gdd: error writing '/dev/da3': Invalid argument
0+1 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes copied, 0.0321306 s, 0.0 kB/s
^C^C%
% sudo 7zr e ./cultbsd-third-prealpha-codename-ufocult.7z | sudo dd bs=10M of=/dev/da3
^C0+3 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes transferred in 10.430068 secs (0 bytes/sec)
^C%
% su -
Password:
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:~ # 7zr e ./cultbsd-third-prealpha-codename-ufocult.7z | dd of=/dev/da3 bs=10M

ERROR: No more files
./cultbsd-third-prealpha-codename-ufocult.7z

System ERROR:
Unknown error: -2147024872
dd: /dev/da3: Invalid argument
0+1 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes transferred in 0.005778 secs (0 bytes/sec)
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:~ # /usr/home/grahamperrin/dev/lsblk/lsblk da3
DEVICE         MAJ:MIN SIZE TYPE                                          LABEL MOUNT
da3              2:81  1.9G cd9660                iso9660/13_0_RELEASE_AMD64_BO -
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:~ # geom disk list da3
Geom name: da3
Providers:
1. Name: da3
   Mediasize: 2003828736 (1.9G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Mode: r0w0e0
   descr: General UDisk
   ident: (null)
   rotationrate: unknown
   fwsectors: 63
   fwheads: 255

root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:~ #

Erm, changing the working directory would have helped.

Still, I'm doing something wrong:

Code:
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:/Volumes/t500/VirtualBox/BSD/other BSD/CultBSD # 7z e ./cultbsd-third-prealpha-codename-ufocult.7z | dd of=/dev/da3
load: 0.41  cmd: dd 4705 [piperd] 26.62r 0.00u 0.00s 0% 2400k
mi_switch+0xc1 sleepq_catch_signals+0x31a sleepq_wait_sig+0x9 _sleep+0x1be pipe_read+0x3d6 dofileread+0x81 sys_read+0xbc amd64_syscall+0x10c fast_syscall_common+0xf8
^C0+3 records in
1+0 records out
512 bytes transferred in 33.356492 secs (15 bytes/sec)
^Croot@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:/Volumes/t500/VirtualBox/BSD/other BSD/CultBSD #
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:/Volumes/t500/VirtualBox/BSD/other BSD/CultBSD # 7z l ./cultbsd-third-prealpha-codename-ufocult.7z

7-Zip [64] 16.02 : Copyright (c) 1999-2016 Igor Pavlov : 2016-05-21
p7zip Version 16.02 (locale=C.UTF-8,Utf16=on,HugeFiles=on,64 bits,4 CPUs x64)

Scanning the drive for archives:
1 file, 3504779745 bytes (3343 MiB)

Listing archive: ./cultbsd-third-prealpha-codename-ufocult.7z

--
Path = ./cultbsd-third-prealpha-codename-ufocult.7z
Type = 7z
Physical Size = 3504779745
Headers Size = 130
Method = LZMA2:26
Solid = -
Blocks = 1

Date      Time    Attr         Size   Compressed  Name
------------------- ----- ------------ ------------  ------------------------
2021-08-29 23:11:38 ....A   8589934592   3504779615  cultbsd.img
------------------- ----- ------------ ------------  ------------------------
2021-08-29 23:11:38         8589934592   3504779615  1 files
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:/Volumes/t500/VirtualBox/BSD/other BSD/CultBSD #

I don't use 7zip but it seems like you are missing the -so (write data to stdout) switch.
Try something like 7z e -so ./cultbsd-third-prealpha-codename-ufocult.7z | sudo dd of=/dev/da3

Yay. Thanks. A partial test, just enough to confirm the sanity:

Code:
% /usr/home/grahamperrin/dev/lsblk/lsblk da3
DEVICE         MAJ:MIN SIZE TYPE                                          LABEL MOUNT
da3              0:220 7.2G MBR                                               - -
  <FREE>         -:-   512B -                                                 - -
  da3s1          0:221  40M efi                                               - -
  da3s2          2:83  3.9G BSD                                               - -
    da3s2a       2:85  3.9G freebsd-ufs                         label/nomadroot -
  da3s3          2:84  3.2G BSD                                               - -
    da3s3a       2:86  3.2G freebsd-ufs                         label/nomadhome -
% sudo gpart destroy -F da3
grahamperrin's password:
da3 destroyed
% cd /Volumes/t500/VirtualBox/BSD/other\ BSD/CultBSD
% 7z e -so ./cultbsd-third-prealpha-codename-ufocult.7z | sudo gdd bs=10M status=progress of=/dev/da3
103153664 bytes (103 MB, 98 MiB) copied, 11 s, 9.4 MB/s^C
0+1658 records in
0+1658 records out
108658688 bytes (109 MB, 104 MiB) copied, 11.6635 s, 9.3 MB/s
%

Unfortunately your title is a bit off as you are using FreeBSD as a base and not BSD in general.

What are the advantages of using it? How is it different from the other FreeBSD based projects?

I have tried with Nvidia and Intel only but i will test it with amd very soon before leave the pre-alpha
The gpu driver auto-loader doesn't support older amd gpus that use radeon ! I have this statement to description of sourceforge , youtube channel etc
Need to find these older amd gpus and make gpu driver auto-loader load radeon for them :)
Also send me the result of /usr/sbin/pciconf -lv|grep -B 2 display
and inxi -G

Thanks,

Extraordinary fast boot ☑

AMD Thames [Radeon HD 7550M/7570M/7650M]

Booting normally fails, maybe through load (or attempted load) of amdgpu.

Workaround:
  1. boot in single user mode
  2. kldload radeonkms
  3. exit
  4. after automated login begins, be patient during the blackout.
<https://www.freshports.org/graphics/drm-fbsd13-kmod/#message>

Need to add network config for ethernet it would be fairly easy .
Don't be afraid it will be fixed in the next release it will have also networkmgr i forgot to include it the last time.
I will fix it as soon as possible ofcourse
It will also have plenty of software ,obs studio,olive video editor, krita etc etc and steam .

About the project: Its purely experimental right now , i can also take a completely different root and just use the bsdinstall for everything and i could create a script that bsdinstall would run to make any changes i need, also give it an additional txz file. If i did that i would have created it in a jiffy !
Also there's an issue with plasma baloo its contents should not be copied to another installation it can cause problems i have completely disable it now and prevent installer copying those files

em0

– in an HP EliteBook 8570p.

route show default
  • does not show a route (in good time).
resolvconf -u
  • is appropriate, because the content of /etc/resolv.conf is incorrect for my router
  • fails, probably due to a read-only file system (I didn't bother to note the details).
I would have attempted a workaround to gain Internet connectivity, however edits to /etc/rc.conf and /etc/resolv.conf can not be written to the read-only file system.

rc.d initgfx

If you're not already aware (when I last checked, this was also used by helloSystem):

Graphics hardware

/usr/sbin/pciconf -lv|grep -B 2 display

From a few days ago:

<https://bsd-hardware.info/?probe=fae9e84f60#d11> | <https://bsd-hardware.info/?probe=fae9e84f60&log=pciconf>

More graphics info

and inxi -G

Conflicts with graphics/glx-utils, which provides binaries glxgears and glxinfo.

Code:
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:~ # glxgears --help
Usage:
  -display <displayname>  set the display to run on
  -srgb                   run in sRGB mode
  -stereo                 run in stereo mode
  -samples N              run in multisample mode with at least N samples
  -swapinterval N         set swap interval to N frames (default 1)
  -fullscreen             run in fullscreen mode
  -info                   display OpenGL renderer info
  -geometry WxH+X+Y       window geometry
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:~ # glxinfo -h
Usage: glxinfo [-v] [-t] [-h] [-b] [-l] [-s] [-i] [-display <dname>]
        -display <dname>: Print GLX visuals on specified server.
        -i: Force an indirect rendering context.
        -B: brief output, print only the basics.
        -v: Print visuals info in verbose form.
        -t: Print verbose visual information table.
        -h: This information.
        -b: Find the 'best' visual and print its number.
        -l: Print interesting OpenGL limits.
        -s: Print a single extension per line.
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:~ # pkg install --quiet -y inxi
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:~ # inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Thames [Radeon HD 7550M/7570M/7650M] driver: vgapci
           Device-2: Chicony HP HD Webcam [Fixed] type: USB driver: N/A
           Device-3: 317GAWCM001LON33N1ED USB Video device type: USB driver: N/A
           Display: server: X.org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: ati,radeon unloaded: modesetting,vesa tty: 212x60
           Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable in console for root.
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:~ # pkg install --quiet -y glx-utils

Yep, skip this for now. FreeBSD bugs include:

Need to add network config for ethernet it would be fairly easy .
Don't be afraid it will be fixed in the next release it will have also networkmgr i forgot to include it the last time.
I will fix it as soon as possible ofcourse
It will also have plenty of software ,obs studio,olive video editor, krita etc etc and steam .

About the project: Its purely experimental right now , i can also take a completely different root and just use the bsdinstall for everything and i could create a script that bsdinstall would run to make any changes i need, also give it an additional txz file. If i did that i would have created it in a jiffy !
Also there's an issue with plasma baloo its contents should not be copied to another installation it can cause problems i have completely disable it now and prevent installer copying those files
I need to remove this , also the etc will be read write so it wont have any problems and i will include networkmgr . Next release would be big it will have more apps

rc.d initgfx

If you're not already aware (when I last checked, this was also used by helloSystem):

Graphics hardware

From a few days ago:

<https://bsd-hardware.info/?probe=fae9e84f60#d11> | <https://bsd-hardware.info/?probe=fae9e84f60&log=pciconf>

More graphics info

Conflicts with graphics/glx-utils, which provides binaries glxgears and glxinfo.

Code:
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:~ # glxgears --help
Usage:
  -display <displayname>  set the display to run on
  -srgb                   run in sRGB mode
  -stereo                 run in stereo mode
  -samples N              run in multisample mode with at least N samples
  -swapinterval N         set swap interval to N frames (default 1)
  -fullscreen             run in fullscreen mode
  -info                   display OpenGL renderer info
  -geometry WxH+X+Y       window geometry
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:~ # glxinfo -h
Usage: glxinfo [-v] [-t] [-h] [-b] [-l] [-s] [-i] [-display <dname>]
        -display <dname>: Print GLX visuals on specified server.
        -i: Force an indirect rendering context.
        -B: brief output, print only the basics.
        -v: Print visuals info in verbose form.
        -t: Print verbose visual information table.
        -h: This information.
        -b: Find the 'best' visual and print its number.
        -l: Print interesting OpenGL limits.
        -s: Print a single extension per line.
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:~ # pkg install --quiet -y inxi
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:~ # inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Thames [Radeon HD 7550M/7570M/7650M] driver: vgapci
           Device-2: Chicony HP HD Webcam [Fixed] type: USB driver: N/A
           Device-3: 317GAWCM001LON33N1ED USB Video device type: USB driver: N/A
           Display: server: X.org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: ati,radeon unloaded: modesetting,vesa tty: 212x60
           Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable in console for root.
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:~ # pkg install --quiet -y glx-utils

Yep, skip this for now. FreeBSD bugs include:
Its not its fault i just forgot to exclude the baloo index cant copy it from a different system and expect to work. Also i spend half of a minute in vi to add radeonkms support for some Old radeon hd familes in the gpu autodetection script , but i need to include every card (freebsd has a page for these gpus) who works only with older radeonkms so no prob.
It will have many apps . But i will create a minimal version that will be 1 gbytes compressed it will be cool with lxqt kvantum , and it will use openbox,herbstluftwm and bspwm. rounded corners blurred transparency etc etc

Back