How to set default sound input device

FreeBSD-12.3p2

I am trying to set up an A/V capability for chrome. Unlike firefox the chrome browser does not enumerate all of the available sound input devices. It only lists default as the available device.

The input device I have configured is a Microsoft-Microsoft-LifeCam-HD-3000 . The system I have has a builtin audio but I want to use the mic in the (USB) webcam.
Code:
[root@vhost01 ~ (master)]# cat /dev/sndstat
Installed devices:
pcm0: <NVIDIA (0x0051) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
pcm1: <NVIDIA (0x0051) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
pcm2: <Realtek ALC892 (Rear Analog 5.1/2.0)> (play/rec) default
pcm3: <Realtek ALC892 (Front Analog)> (play/rec)
pcm4: <Realtek ALC892 (Rear Digital)> (play)
pcm5: <USB audio> (rec)
No devices installed from userspace.

If I do a mic test in Firefox it allows me to select which of the three input devices to use. And the test works with the USB audio. However, Chrome only shows default as the available. I cannot find in setting in Chrome that allows me to set the device to use. So my question is how to set the USB webcam as the default recording device. I realize that this likely will not work but it seems worth a try.

Google Chrome for Linux, or www/chromium?

Chromium. I do not use it usually and forgot the name. The web site we had to access required either Edge or Chrome. It would not accept Firefox. I probably should have just modified the user agent string.

Anyway, the microphone worked in the conference webapp despite not responding at the mic test website. All is good ATM.

www/chromium

Build the port with pulse audio enabled.

True, however this requires disabling support for sndio(7).

Also:

This requires tremendous port rebuild. …

Like, for www/chromium alone a FreeBSD Project server took more than twenty-two hours for a recent build <http://beefy18.nyi.freebsd.org/buil...amd64-default&build=pff8f3a1b75aa_s1b602f641a>.

Plus around 280 dependencies (172 of which might be fetched, if poudriere is used), including llvm, rust and so on:

1646372297363.png

mixer =rec pcm5
This should set the current recording device.

I didn't test it, but it should be possible via mixer(), somehow.. Mixer was rewritten, so there might be new ways to do this..

To list the current recording device:
mixer rcsrc
To add your device to the list of possible recording devices:
mixer +rec pcm5

It might require a restart of chrome.

Back