C Good IDE for C/C++ programming that doesn't look like the 1990's??

I simply do not have the time to keep pressing "ctrl+F" all the time
But you have time to scroll up and down through all the colors to find a function name?

Point is, using colors other than just simply just plain monochrome is far better. Yes it is the same thing, the brain is able to distinguish multiple selected colors.
Your references talk about sensitivity to colors, not the ability to find one color of one piece of text amidst other text in different colors. This is why I say such things become a blur of clowns.
Instead, one should structure the document. Just like books and documentation you will find everywhere in print and online.

Have you read the naval scientific paper?
Oh, all the time.

Illumination does play a role for productivity for your eyes to visually see the colors on your computer display
You were using that for reasons to use color in text. Room illumination is not the same thing as colored text for reading.

Well science proves that data displayed on screens works better with color.
In case, you missed it, I said there is a difference between displaying limited data on a screen versus text for reading--such as programs for reading, novels, etc.

It's possible that "I like colors" and "I don't like colors" are equally valid.
Absolutely. Everyone should try both for a while and see which they prefer.

Same with IDEs to be fair. However I wonder if there is a trend of people only wanting to move in the direction that they perceive as forward. "Color and big IDEs are newer so I *must* use them", kind of thing. Ultimately it doesn't matter so long as upper management don't enforce either choice on the rest of the developers (which apparently some places they do!).

But you have time to scroll up and down through all the colors to find a function name?

No, your context of using the "search" tool is only required when needed. Its for programmers who failed in finding what they're looking for or when trying to find texts at the very top or bottom of the page when they're at the center of the page or to count or highlight the texts to aid in debugging.

Not to mention, the search tool is also "color" coding since it literally overlays/highlights colors to the texts so that the coders who gets "blinded by color" are not blinded anymore to find what they're trying to find.

You're not aware of the fact that you're so blind to find monochrome texts, to which you have to heavily use the search tool to spoon feed in highlighting (color coding) the texts which was immensely difficult to find to start with. This is super unproductive and a nuisance since humans have developed many ways to avoid this burden.

These are what professional programmers do when they do programming so that they specifically avoid "barbaric" programming styles which requires the "search tool" every second:

1) Color coding (Syntax high lighting)
2) Adding to the code file with lines or symbols, to notify the coder of differentiating a particular code block using: ---- **** ____ //// #### etc.
3) Using professional mouses specifically made for professional programmers or computer users.
3) Using keyboards specifically made for professional programmers or computer users.
4) Bookmarking code lines.
5) Camel case certain functions
6) Using USB touchpads/trackpads.
7) Using a dedicated USB trackball.

Matter of fact, professional modern programmers do not use basic mouse anymore. They use advanced mouses which have free scrolling mouse wheels. This is to prevent using the search tool all the time since it drastically degrades programming performance and needing to keep typing to find stuff. Using color coding and fast scroll/motion you can quickly find functions or text and start debugging/editing/programming so much faster than to keep on entering "ctrl+f" and typing words to find stuff.

You talk so much about comparing programming to books, alright lets go that route, let me show you how blind you are by the fact that even "professional" book writers color codes when they're "writing" (programming?) books before it is published. Look how they use different "colored" high lighters, colored pencils, colored markers, colored pens to mark on their books/codes so that their 'eyes" can easily find texts to which they marked and make changes to edits before publishing.

Your references talk about sensitivity to colors, not the ability to find one color of one piece of text amidst other text in different colors. This is why I say such things become a blur of clowns.

You stay in denial and wish to not comprehend what "references of sensitivity to colors" is all about, and I have to explain it again, it's because every professional environment, uses specific colors on displays so that their eyes can stay in "focus", "find" and be "productive" for parsing texts/symbols on the screen. Using monochrome texts/symbols are not used on those screens, "colored" texts/symbols are used on those displays for obvious reasons of the fact that the eyes are sensitive to certain wavelengths of color and therefore those "colored" wavelengths are used on those displays in conjunction with certain wavelengths of room lighting to aid/help the eyes to lock on or focus on the colored texts/symbols displayed on screen.

It's so important that colors are used on screens that even the environment of the lighting plays an important roll so that it better suits the eyes for parsing and distinguishing colored texts/symbols. This is also true why all control centers uses specific lighting environment so that the computer displays are always easy to discern colored texts/symbols. You can stay in denial as long as you want, but the scientific papers says colored texts/symbols are productive and why professional entities uses them.

Instead, one should structure the document. Just like books and documentation you will find everywhere in print and online.

As again, you seriously have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and just trying to find excuses that horrendously and grossly goes against with your very own conjecture of comparing programming with story books and novel books that "no color coding" is involved.

There are two types of book users: One that reads and those who have proper talent to "write" (programmer?).

There is only one type of programmers: Those who "Writes" programs.

The CPU (computer) is the one who does the "reading" of your unsafe program my friend, not your brain.
I hope you understand the differences now between book writers and computer science programmers. Both write stuff for very different audiences.

Guess what tools in the trade the author (writer) uses when making a book? Hmmm... please you see where I'm going right?

Just read, pay attention and take notes from a professional author's advice, "read" what he has to say for people who do not know how to "write" (program?) books and staying organized for finding texts/symbols/content.

I'll quote some things what the professional author (Ryan Holiday) gives advice with helping to stay organized and uses a method called the "Notecard System" invented by another great author named "Robert Greene" (who was the mentor for Ryan). So here are references to color coding used in Notecard System, I'll put them here since I assume you do not know how to read without using the search tool:

"Dustin Lance Black uses different colored inks to categorize characters and plot points, and a long table that, when covered with cards, he knows will translate to two hours onscreen."
"Bestselling novelist Jennifer McMahon color codes chapters by point of view or timeline, then thumbtacks cards to a bulletin board to map her stories."
"Robert Greene also uses color-coded cards for an extra layer of organization. With The 33 Strategies of War, he explained in his Reddit AMA, “blue cards would be about politics, yellow strictly war, green the arts and entertainment, pink cards on strategy, etc.”

Reference: https://medium.com/thrive-global/the-notecard-system-the-key-for-remembering-organizing-and-using-everything-you-read-4f48a82371b1

So, do you realize how grossly wrong you are? Would like to stay in complete denial as well for knowing the fact that professional book writers/content creators literally relies in using "color coding" to stay professional, productive and organized?

Oh, all the time.

Sure, sure... that explains why you have no idea what you're talking about saying that color coding is useless, not productive and causes color blindness/blurriness. It's scientifically proven that it is productive. Even professional best selling authors who makes novels for you to read also uses color coding to write books.

You were using that for reasons to use color in text. Room illumination is not the same thing as colored text for reading.

You are confused, who said I said those statements? It was the scientists stating that room illumination is vital for viewing colored texts/symbols on displays.

You are failing to understand why Room illumination is in the context here, its mentioned because it helps the eyes to view colored texts/symbols better on the screen. They use color texts/symbols on displays and Room illumination is better for the eyes to stay in focus and productive to see the colors, which means it helps the eyes for parsing colored texts/symbols in the current window pane. Remember "parsing" means reading, finding, comprehending and acknowledging. I had to repeat this like a million times because you're not understanding the science and also the fact that color is used on the displays.

Maybe I'll give more examples to make it more understandable for you, since your not getting it (the science of it).
I'm sure you went to the movie theaters at some point in your live, right? Did you take note how the theaters are precisely designed? Do you remember how crappy the picture on the screen looks like when the Room lights are "on" as compared to when the lights are turned off?
Do you remember how much better the picture looked on the screen when the Room lights was completely turned off, but still looked crappy, did you ever thought to yourself how could it be improved?

So the point is, do you have any idea how much ridiculous science is involved and money people pays just for the professional "white" screen fixed on to their "home theaters" to watch movies using their expensive LCD/Laser/DLP projectors?

Theres is a whole ton of science for the human eyes to view colors properly on the displays and room illumination is a factor.
Professionals pays thousands of dollars for both the white screen material and projectors to see texts/symbols/dolphins/Arnold Schwarzenegger etc for the best colors/hues/contrasts the eyes and brains can parse in experiencing. The same is true for professional computer programmers.
I myself use a 55-inch SONY 4K TV for programming, its much more productive than a 1080P 20-inch barbaric desktop monitor.

Many professional programmers uses 4 or more LCDs to make a large multi-screen desktop display, many are using high resolution multiple single ultrawide 49-inch curved desktop monitors for programming. We all use a specific room illumination to our desire, so that it helps and aids our eyes for programming to view the colors/hues/contrasts of the texts/symbols on the screen.
Similar implementation programmers are doing today, which is proved by the scientific papers decades ago...

Room illumination plays a factor for certain types of audiences such as: military, weather stations, air force control rooms, submarine control rooms, programmer's room and etc. Room illumination is used to help the eyes to see better whats being displayed on the colorized desktop screens.
If this doesn't explain it, I feel sorry for you.

In case, you missed it, I said there is a difference between displaying limited data on a screen versus text for reading--such as programs for reading, novels, etc.

As again simply just do not make assumption here and create wishful thinking. Who told you and what in the world makes you think that there is limited data on the screen?
You think the military's Intelligence employees who are operating on the advanced computers and raking in $70-$100K+ a year are simply analyzing/parsing limited data? They are parsing more data than computer programmers, the amount of brain power and computation is far greater needed for military analysis as compared to programmers at their home desktops.
This just proves why room illumination and color coding is vital and needed for these professional professions.

Absolutely. Everyone should try both for a while and see which they prefer.

Same with IDEs to be fair. However I wonder if there is a trend of people only wanting to move in the direction that they perceive as forward. "Color and big IDEs are newer so I *must* use them", kind of thing. Ultimately it doesn't matter so long as upper management don't enforce either choice on the rest of the developers (which apparently some places they do!).
You could be right it is irrelevant for irrelevant jobs, however when people lives are into the question, a standard should be followed, sadly no one created such standard for programmers. It's like we're at the wild west, people doing whatever they want in programming. This is why the military have strict standards which military employees must follow and uses regardless if they like it or not. They need to use color coding on the displays which are most likely permanently set into place.

Alright, so all the coder naysayers who say's syntax highlight (color coding) is not useful and it causes "blurriness and blindness" to code and debug.

I have a paper for you to digest, which is presented by NASA aerospace software engineers (real professional programmers). The paper discusses to let NASA software engineers know a more intelligent and professional way to write safe code using a new IDE standard which NASA created. It uses the VS Code text editor which have it's own syntax highlighting standard.

They use VS code instead of emacs because emacs standard front-end grossly fails, which NASA software engineers (professional programmers) specifically states:

"VSCode-PVS provides functionalities that developers expect to find in modern verification tools, but are not available in the standard Emacs front-end of PVS, such as auto-completion, point-and-click navigation of definitions, live diagnostics for errors, and literate programming."

NASA aerospace software engineers also went into great lengths of creating a standardize syntax highlighting feature embedded into their IDE, which NASA states:

"VSCode-PVS is a new integrated development environment for creating, evaluating and verifying PVS specifications. The environment, shown in Figure 1, redefines the way developers interact with PVS, and better aligns the PVS front-end to the functionalities provided by development environments used by software developers. The main features provided by the environment are as follows:
Syntax highlighting. PVS keywords and library functions are automatically highlighted."

So there you have it my friends who gets blinded by color, even NASA software engineers (professional programmers) uses syntax highlighting. Why you may ask? Well its so obvious, safety and it's simply more productive and better. They also use VS code (which I use) since it's better than emacs.

Reference: https://shemesh.larc.nasa.gov/fm/papers/EPTCS2019-MM.pdf

Heres a picture of NASA's IDE:

NASA_IDE_PVS.jpg

I have a hunch that even software engineers in the professional entities such as in the Military, Boeing, SpaceX, Airbus, Lockheed Martin and etc, all needs to use syntax highlighting required by their job standards. This is because their program needs to be extremely safe and in good order with lowest amount of bugs.

First_Law_of_Unix Dude, would you please not imitate the tabloids with the big screaming headlines? Your posts look like clickbait.

Back on topic. I tried out CodeBlocks, since codelite is out of order now. I even tried to get it working again, but it fails to build rather obscurely. Also, CodeBlocks can do Fortran, which I have some code in, and verilog, which I also have some. PHP/JS/... does not interest me.

Has anyone good experiences with that, or a tipp what can be used? And I don't care if it is looking like the 90s, I did some of my best coding back then.

First_Law_of_Unix Dude, would you please not imitate the tabloids with the big screaming headlines? Your posts look like clickbait.

Back on topic. I tried out CodeBlocks, since codelite is out of order now. I even tried to get it working again, but it fails to build rather obscurely. Also, CodeBlocks can do Fortran, which I have some code in, and verilog, which I also have some. PHP/JS/... does not interest me.

Has anyone good experiences with that, or a tipp what can be used? And I don't care if it is looking like the 90s, I did some of my best coding back then.
or
geany

The idea of NASA developers all using VS Code did make me chuckle. However I was interested in the kinds of software (some departments within) NASA actually uses and did a little bit of searching and found this:

https://www.nas.nasa.gov/hecc/support/kb/software-103/ (Last updated 2022)

In particular was the mention of pkgsrc here. I understand that pkgsrc can potentially run on most platforms but in practice it ends up needing so many patches, it isn't really feasible outside of NetBSD. So now I wonder what kind of platform their HPC and "High End Computing" uses.

It is looking like Linux's monopoly over the supercomputer market has missed a spot.

Edit: Darn, no it seems that they are just maintaining pkgsrc themselves for RHEL-clone and later SUSE.

Quick remark: While many (most? all?) cognitive scientists and serious programmers agree that color-coding text helps with quick understand, we need to be aware that color-blind people exist. And that color blindness is neither a very rare disability, nor is it simple or always has the same symptoms. In general, visual perception can be quite different from individual to individual.

If we went to 3D user interfaces, we'd have to also remember that a significant fraction of the population has issues with depth perception. For example, in our household 2 of 3 people have badly reduced vision in one eye.

Unfortunately I keep getting drawn back into this thread and it's starting to look a lot like religion or political or "which is the best editor" discussions.

Noone has argued that colors/syntax highlighting are not a benefit to helping write better code, but blanket assertions that (paraphrased) "If you don't use colorization when writing code you cannot write good code" are what really annoy the heck out of me.

Overuse of anything makes it easy to lose the important bits (forest for the trees analogy) and for me colorization is one of those things that is often overused.

Don't try and tell me that because I don't use it to the extent you say I should I can't write good/safe/critical code.

Alain De Vos Ada. That's a blast from the past better left in the past.

Quick remark: While many (most? all?) cognitive scientists and serious programmers agree that color-coding text helps with quick understand
That statement seems reasonable but is more based on face validity. There has been some research on this (I think I linked to some further up in this thread). However one of the reasons why i.e the AT&T guys didn't add it to Plan 9 ACME text editor is because they doubted its impact.

For slightly less heavy reading, some of the ideas are detailed here (linking to) here. At this point I really do feel it is personal opinion with a bit of added peer pressure for good measure.

That said, I am willing to concede on this because I feel Plan 9 made a big mistake with the mouse obsession; so it is entirely possible that they didn't get their stance on color highlighting right either. These guys are great but perhaps usability isn't their strong point.

Reading this thread reminded me of how I kept getting lost in Visual Studio when I was in college in early 2000s.. I knew that stuff needs to be written, saved, compiled, run, and output needed to be checked. Even back then, there was already a bewildering proliferation of different IDEs that made my head spin. I tried to pick and choose something that helps me get my programming homework done, helps me keep track of what I was learning (types, functions, scopes, identation), and was hopefully free (as in free beer) and not a resource hog. Yeah, that was fun times.

When I was done with coding up my homework assignment, I still had to make sure it runs in the IDE that the Teaching Assistants use to grade that homework. In my case, that IDE was Borland for Java. I think I only had to use Visual Studio for just one class... The rest of the time, the grading relied on old-school UNIX compile/run procedure that we all know and love. Yeah, color coding and other IDE features help us pay attention to our work, but at end of the day, the code has to run, and not blow up in our faces.

That said, I am willing to concede on this because I feel Plan 9 made a big mistake with the mouse obsession; so it is entirely possible that they didn't get their stance on color highlighting right either. These guys are great but perhaps usability isn't their strong point.
What exactly was the mouse obsession? I’m interested, all I know about Plan 9 is it gave us UTF-8.

This discussion got me thinking about the color coding of hazard signs. They tend to be yellow and black or red and black.
Or yellow. It's actually a very interesting topic; there is strong feedback between red/yellow/black being the colors of dangerous things (poisonous berries, wasps and bees), the development of color vision in animals, and the evolution of poisonous things. To some extent, berries are poisonous to protect themselves from being eaten, and if they weren't red, they would get eaten first, and it doesn't help the berry that the bird dies shortly thereafter. By the way, the tomato is an interesting exception here, as are some flies that are harmless, but colored yellow and black.

The real fun anecdote is about politics: In high school, we had a literature teacher (who was also a member of parliament for the social-democratic party) who tried to convince us that the reason that traffic signs used "red" for "stop" was a government conspiracy: By teaching the population that "red" means inconvenience and having to wait to cross the street, the government was really doing subliminal convincing that socialists and communists are bad people who prevent progress.

Interestingly, the yellow party at the time was libertarian and fiscally conservative. And the green party (the environmentalists) hadn't been invented yet; at the time they were mostly still anti-war and anti-nuclear demonstrators, not an organized political force. While a black (christian conservative) party existed, there were (obviously) no black traffic lights. So his understanding of traffic light colors was woefully incomplete, and his theory made little sense.

Just looked at my python code in the editor: Comments are red, function names are green, keywords (like "if" or "self") are purple, and variables are black. Sometimes variables are yellow (looks more like orange on the screen), for reasons that I can't logically discern. It seems whoever designed this color scheme was not a member of the same party as my old high school teacher.

Back