C/C++ Good IDE for C/C++ programming that doesn't look like the 1990's??

Mjölnir

Daemon

• Eclipse has a plethora of plugins & options (not my choice but YMMV; it's biased towards Java?).
  • KDE's text editor Kate also has some plugins to make it a lightweight IDE.

failure

• Eclipse has a plethora of plugins & options (not my choice but YMMV; it's biased towards Java?).
  • KDE's text editor Kate also has some plugins to make it a lightweight IDE.
If you mentioned KDE then I suggest KDevelop.

failure

I've been helping another team at work evaluate IDEs for C++ recently. The 3 they started looking at were Qt Creator, vscode and NetBeans (that's my influence, lots of Sun baggage). IMO they are all much of a muchness GUI wise, pretty similar in terms of features. I find NetBeans better for navigation, but Qt Creator better for searching code. At work we have a large code base (many millions of lines of code). How the IDE copes with that is, for me, the main issue.

- RAM. Particularly Java based IDEs can consume many 10s of Gbytes when loading a large project, which can make them very unwieldy.
- "Code Model" This is _the_ big thing, and the USP for this kind of environment. The code model is what will allow the IDE to do smart navigation - jumping between definition/declaration/uses, refactoring, opening headers etc etc. Sadly there is an infinite number of bad build systems. And the IDE needs to grok the build system in order to build an impeccable code model - it needs to know all of the include paths and compilation macros.

My advice is to try a few IDEs and see which one works best with your project(s).

If you ware working on an open source project then JetBrains does offer licenses for CLion. The conditions seem fairly stringent.
Contrary to you I dislike NetBeans C++ even before it was donated to Apache. The old C++ plugin is no longer developed now and even not yet contributed to Apache by Oracle. The hack Apache currently employs is just some sort of language server, maybe CCLS. It's incomplete, and the actual C++ plugin is still not yet there.

But even on the Oracle era NetBeans C++ always sucks. Code completion sucks. It's a very stupid plugin that suggestions almost always not what I'm looking for.

NetBeans for Java rocks, but NetBeans C++ always sucks!

If you want a good Java based IDE for C++ then Eclipse CDT is much better.

Paul Floyd

Mainly because of the poor ongoing C++ support I've moved from NetBeans to Qt Creator.

I never liked Eclipse.
* difficult to set up projects
* code model always flaky and hard to fix
* could never get remote builds to work
* for really big source files (and I've worked on files over 100k lines long) it just gives up

It has some nice features
* macro expansion view
* decent refactoring

OP
V

veryuniquename

This is frankly not very convincing. I mean, uninterruptible calculations in Visual Studio? Definitely "cool story" tier.
Sorry what? I am unsure what part of this is "cool". Feel free to lurk the internet for other identical stories, mine is far from original. I remember seeing some other guy on reddit about when W10 came out who had a 3D rendering or something and lost lots and lots of money because Windows 10 "had to update" despite them disabling everything Windows 10.

Make a quick google search and you'll find similar stories where lots and lots of people have their work destroyed or delayed because MS wants to "update their product or OS" despite being actively disabled in the settings. A "cool story" as you describie it would probably be something like "Yeah I used to work for Pentagon and they never used Windows or any Microsoft products because of all the leet 1337 backdoors". "Uninterruptible calculations" was approximation calculation to get a design more correct. Saving all the data would increase the time by a huge factor so we decided not to keep a cache or backup, since the risk was assesed to be close to zero of the program crashing. I did not crash, it was shut down in conjunction with the unwanted and disabled auto update.

debguy

don't kno haven't looked. but Apple has a unix shell and it's dev GUI is absolutely great, and are affordable these days, and microft can no longer be ignored (if you like them keeping your source?! on "azure")

there are much higher level languages today than "dev kits"

since Oracle Java was alredy mentioned i'll mention:

INTEL compiler (for linux) which has a nice ide. it also contains some (not all) linkage to their hardware so if you want to write software that supports modern intel hardware - i would definitely try it. it's more for the hardware nuts. it's no xbox or unity dev kit for sure.

unitrunker

Aspiring Daemon

I very much like juci++.

Netbeans and Eclipse try to be all things to all people. Juci++ focuses in cmake and clang. For C/C++ development on FreeBSD, that's all I need.