C Good IDE for C/C++ programming that doesn't look like the 1990's??

[FONT=monospace]mer[/FONT], the thing is, without the colors, you always have to "scan" to the beginning of the line in order to know whether it is unchanged/new
Ahh, but my native language, books and other written things are meant to be read left to right, top to bottom, so my "eyes" start parsing at the beginning of the line. And since we're talking about microseconds here, if I'm scanning to the middle of the colored lines, I still need to "backspace" to the beginning of the line and then scan forward to find the difference. ;)

Really we just need 3D computer terminals and we would be able to keep to the monochrome goodness.
I wonder if the old 3D glasses from movies would work...

Again, I'm not against colorization of things, just for me to my eyes and work habits, it's a negative, not a positive. Always has been. I hated it when *nix systems started doing things like automatically colorizing things like prompts and diff and ls. It's the first thing I always turn off on a new system

Turns out there is support for in-line highlighting in git already, through some perl module (only available in the full "default" flavor).

Unfortunately, it's lacking a bit of intelligence 🙈 should have some "word detection" heuristics, but it seems it just assumes "only one change per line" :( With that result, I actually get the feeling it will make me slower again spotting the changed characters. So, probably back to just colored lines...

1662474343502.png

I'll write my own tool. With blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget about the tool.

Absolutely, color diff _is_ a feature. I remember I had to compile diff from sources on Sles 11 as diff there didn't have that option. Eyes do get more tired if you need to focus on colorless diff. Same goes to grep (--color=auto). Not necessarily always needed but a nice feature to have.

Same thing with vim - syntax highlighting is a feature. For those who doesn't like it it's easy to turn off ( <smallflame>compared to people who don't understand tabs and use spaces instead</smallflame>).

My contention is "why should ON be the default when OFF was the default for years?"
Because it's hard to find an actual drawback for most people? That is, as long as it's implemented correctly (like, check stdout whether it actually is a tty, and use termcap and similar, so you only output stuff the actual terminal would understand ...)
"Forget the tool. Forget blackjack" :)
That's too far from the original quote 🤡

Because it's hard to find an actual drawback for most people?
One of the things I learned a long time ago with FreeBSD is POLA: Principle Of Least Astonishment.
Basically, how many people are going to disagree with this change? Change the default editor from vi/vim to nano when it's been vi/vim forever? Be prepared to have a technical discussion as to "why".

The "colorization of all the things" to me breaks POLA and in my opinion it started with someone high enough up a food change that simply forced their preference onto a distribution. Then it spread to other distros and just like a lot of things "Windows", it became the default. Just like systemd.

mer, from what I've seen, there wasn't much time between initial implementation of some "colorization" feature and enabling it by default in most tools. So, you can hardly argue someone ever "forced" that – it's just what most people seem to prefer.

As for POLA, that's about changes breaking things unnecessarily (and if it's only what you consider "intuition"). So IMHO, this can't be applied to simple visual changes that seem to be considered improvements by many.

It would be a different thing with broken implementations, that e.g. deliver escape-sequences to a pipe or other redirection. Unfortunately, those exist as well. This is indeed breaking POLA if I have to add some flag, just to get a correct text-only log for example.

edit: "useless use of cat" just got promoted to "maybe not so useless for color-haters": some-colored-tool | cat 😈

I thought there was another "rule" about not breaking the ABI, POLA was about "user visible changes".

Lets look at the handbook: :)

"For example, arbitrarily rearranging system startup variables in /etc/defaults/rc.conf violates POLA."

At one time I was looking into having my editor highlight functions and other things using bolded gray only. I see there are themes that do such a thing for vim but my brief attempt to try them had them highlight the wrong things or, even then, highlighted more than I wanted.

When you have more than two or three colors, it all becomes blurred together and you can't pick out what you want, such as red only.

That reminds me of the problem we had in my restaurants. We had too many types of chips. Fritos, plain Lays potato chips, BBQ chips, and on and on. Too much choice. I think we had 10 or more different kinds. It got to the point where customers would give up and not buy anything!

We cut it down to like five varieties and chip sales actually went up! There are studies about this "too much choice" syndrome. I think the same is true of the multitude of color highlighting to the point it adds nothing and actually detracts. As I said earlier in this thread, it's why we have indenting, braces, quotes, and so on.

Reactions: mer
Well, another thought to keep in mind on the colorized output does not work so well if you pipe it to some other tool. So I always felt generic monocolored output is good for a default output as it doesn't risk breaking anything (including any scripts) and just have an option that people have the choice on making the output colored or not.

Reactions: mer
Well, another thought to keep in mind on the colorized output does not work so well if you pipe it to some other tool.
Only if the implementation is broken. And yes, it's broken to send escape sequences to anything other than a tty. That's what isatty(3) is for.

edit, just for completeness, there are exceptions of course, like piping to the $PAGER, which is expected to output itself to the terminal and handle escape sequences correctly. But then, you'll set up the pipe yourself and execute $PAGER yourself (there's a reason there is an environment variable for it!). Correct code will never ever spit escape-sequences to stdout if it is not a tty.

For many types of tasks (like interactive data analysis, development in non-compiled languages, tasks that involve graphics such as image or video processing and data analysis that involves graps), the old-fashioned workflow with emacs or vi is nearly always very inefficient.
I use Emacs specifically as an IDE for C++, realizing, of course, that something is missing in it compared to modern IDEs. While understanding Emacs, I realized that theoretically it could close these gaps because it uses special Lisp dialects (Emacs Lisp and Guile). But what exactly needs to be implemented, and what can be abandoned? To shed light on this I spent a lot of time interviewing C++ developers about what advantages modern C++ IDEs might have over Emacs. Even if they never used Emacs (less than I thought), I found out about their assumptions about what Emacs certainly can't do from the functionality of their IDE. Therefore, it would be interesting to know your opinion. Please, could you give an example of the following two features (from your answer):
  • interactive data analysis;
  • data analysis that involves graps.
As an example, I mean a screenshot (link to the IDE documentation, Youtube video), where these features were demonstrated. Which modern IDE would you prefer for these features? The expression 'interactive data analysis' makes me associate with tools like Vtune Amplifier, features like GPU offload profiling, hotspot analysis, performance snapshot, etc. Did I understand correctly?

At the same time, I deliberately omit the mentioned area "image or video processing", since I do not do this at all.

vim and emacs both support language server protocol (which I believe came from VS code?) so it may be easier to get more out-of-the box IDE features.

fwiw people have been using both editors as bona fide IDEs across lots of languages for many years now. So it’s not a matter of whether they can do that stuff - they absolutely can - it’s just a matter of how much time and effort is involved in configuring them that way.

The problem with emacs is that it’s the only app on the desktop that behaves like emacs. So there’s always this massive disconnect between apps that function exactly as most sane desktop apps have since 1995, and emacs that does its eccentric 80s thing. I just can’t get past that.

people have been using both editors as bona fide IDEs across lots of languages for many years now.
Make that decades.

it’s just a matter of how much time and effort is involved in configuring them that way.
In emacs, there's an app for that, and you don't have to configure it. But you can if you want to. That's the beauty of it.

The problem with emacs is that it’s the only app on the desktop that behaves like emacs.
And emacs users love it for that cause they made it that way. Or not.

there’s always this massive disconnect between apps that function exactly as most sane desktop apps have since 1995
You can make emacs behave like anything you want. There's an app for that or you can roll your own.

emacs that does its eccentric 80s thing
First there was emacs. Then there were other desktop apps. Without looking it up, I believe emacs came out in the 1970s. There are some amazing things two of my former employees used to do with emacs.

One used to tell me, "I can make emacs run around anything you do and spit in your face!" And he could. Emacs is almost like an operating system unto itself. Some say they boot up their computer just to get into emacs and they never leave that space due to all the advantages. Well, I witnessed that myself with these guys and was always a bit jealous that I never took the time to learn it all myself.

The problem with emacs is that it’s the only app on the desktop that behaves like emacs. So there’s always this massive disconnect between apps that function exactly as most sane desktop apps have since 1995
I think it is similar for both vi and emacs in that these are predominantly command line based (and keyboard driven) programs and there is some amount of context switching to be able to go between GUI and TUI/CLI. I personally find it difficult so I stay with the TUI/CLI for most things.

In some ways I feel I am missing out from decent GUI programs but many of my CLI ones are ultimately more important to me.

Color is used an out of band way of adding more information to a standard 2D output. Same with bold / underlines characters when on an "extended" terminal.

Really we just need 3D computer terminals and we would be able to keep to the monochrome goodness. ;)

You made a valid point here, 3D monochrome does seem more useful... however it will never be used by professionals (military, airports, transportation, medical, planes, cars... etc). It will be used maybe for unimportant things, like knowing the price tag of an Apple laptop while at the computer/electronics store.

Heres the thing, adding color into the equation is like quantum computing.
Humans will have more information/states that can be used to identify as syntaxes or meanings in conjunction with physical unique symbols/characters.

Matter of fact adding symbols/characters is rather considered nothing more than spam information.

Imagine you are trying to find the text: "function_something()".
And you put like a bunch of lines like this to find it: ---------------------------------
Good luck finding it when many functions or spam lines like that exists in the code file.
Imagine adding color in conjunction with that particular function and different functions have different shades of color or different color entirely. People who can utilize this new skill in parsing information will be far more advanced and productive than programmers still using monochrome style blinded/blurred by "color".
The analogy is like using a car to travel to work but get stuck in traffic as compared to using a helicopter (use the helicopter since it's better).

But thats not all, here are more reasons why using colorized texts is crucial for programming (specially for those who codes for mission critical/safety applications). I'll give scientific reasoning to why this is the case below:

The human eyes are also highly sensitive to certain colors than simply unique symbols/characters. Theres a whole science in this and it is seriously utilized and taken seriously. Why do you think military's state of the art intelligence and warfare equipment are deliberately, specifically and scientifically engineered to use colors on the displays so that it can drastically help the operators/users and also prevent enemies finding them?
You think all those military movies are nothing but hollywood fantasy in adding color to the command room, sonar/radar screens, navy ship control deck, air force cockpit, submarine control room and airport control towers? You think all of these colors added into these military/professional computer devices/equipment is so that kids can go have a disco party?

Here is the perfect scientific proof why advanced programming (specially for mission critical/safety applications) needs "colorized" texts/symbols and should be a legal standard. All the way back in 1958 a paper was written of the precise problems of crappy room lighting and improper colors used on CRT screens for military. It's literally explaining that using different and precise colors for room lighting and CRT monitors are more meaningful and productive.

Just read the first chapter overview if you're not convinced:
"The illumination requirements of the two groups of people who must jointly use a radar center (operations personnel, and maintenance and other personnel) differ radically. The requirement of both groups cannot be met by ordinary lighting procedures. Under ordinary conditions, light which is needed by supporting personnel to do maintenance, etc., destroys most of the information available on a phosphor cathode ray tube (CRT) display and greatly diminishes the ability of the radar operator’s eye to use the information that remains. The sensitivity of the human eye to light of different frequencies, and the frequency characteristics of the light energy emitted by the phosphor of a CRT display must be fully understood to appreciate the nature of the radar room lighting problem."
Here is the link to the PDF paper:
Reference: https://etd.ohiolink.edu/apexprod/rws_etd/send_file/send?accession=osu1486472030898113&disposition=inline

Hmm... still not convinced? I got more scientific and professional facts why "colorized" texts/symbols/screens is better, safer and productive. I have another paper as proof from the US DOT (Department of Transportation) discussing about ATC (Air Traffic Control) displays to support my claim.
Here is what is mentioned in the first chapter of the paper:

"Color is an effective and attractive tool for coding information on a display. It can help to organize and categorize complex information and can also have a profound effect on our ability to search for specific information. Color is both attractive and functional."

Here is the link to the PDF paper:
Reference: http://www.tc.faa.gov/its/worldpac/techrpt/ar-99-52.pdf

Alright, you still might be scratching your head now, still not convinced and confused why scientists/engineers have never used color or made a standard for it in computer science/programming.
However, here is what the "US Naval Submarine Medical Research Laboratory" have to say about "colorized texts/symbols" for US Naval Undersea (submarines) control center systems, a paper released on 1984.

Below are some things mentioned in the scientific paper:

"color coding can offer many advantages when used properly. Its most useful application is to visual search, although it is an effective way to organize information on various types of displays."
"The six colors recommended for use on SUBACS
displays are red, yellow, green, cyan (blue~green), blue, and white. Previous work has shown that no one size of color set is best for all possible CRT applications. The optimal number of colors in a display depends on the specific task. This color set was limited to six, because, in SUBACS, it is desired that different colors be used to categorize different types of information, although they will be used redundantly with other codes. The color of a piece of information will, along with the other codes, convey the meaning of that information. Therefore, it is advantageous if the operator can not only discriminate the colors when seen side-by-side"
"ADVANTAGES OF COLOR CODING
Search/Identification:
Superior for finding a particular item of random location on a display
Superior to size, brightness, shape coding on identification tasks
Helpful for counting members of a class and locating information

Attention/Recognition/Memory:
Focuses attention
Effective for coding low probability or very important events
Useful for alerting operator to a change in status
Superior for process control and monitoring
Speed of recognition increased for contrasting colors
Increases retention of information

Information:
Increases information content; provides additional dimension to
display
Acts as a "chunking" unit to organize information, separate categories
Need only a small number in most applications

Learning:
Natural association of certain colors with well known physical states
Speed, ease of learning & comprehension; requires littte additional
training

Vision:
Awareness of color common to all color normals
Improvement of visual acuity from color contrast at low luminance
contrasts
Enhances contrast

Coding:

Superior for areal coding, as in maps
Beneficial as a redundant code

Preference/Aesthetic:
Generally preferred as less monotonous, producing less eye strain
and fatigue
Has known aesthetic properties

Display Design
Allows for reduced display brightness
Reduces display clutter
Practical to implement
Colors effective under wide range of broad-band ambient lighting conditions
"

Reference: https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA148924.pdf

Alright that submarine paper above already proves why color coding is scientifically useful, hence it can be said that it is also useful in computer programming. Note, I am not saying that color coding is by all means the holy grail for programming, just saying that when programmers say "color coding is effective and helpful", please keep in mind that they know what they're talking about and its simply based on facts. Deliberately saying that the conjecture of color coding is useless by all means and will always cause blurriness/dizziness is grossly wrong and false propaganda.

I have more evidence why color coding is crucial for computer displays for professional usages mentioned below.

Here is what The National Weather Service (NWS) mentions why "color" is so important for parsing information and people who are "blinded" by colorized texts are seriously weird:

"By their nature, radar images use color as a means of communicating information. This can be a problem for people with color vision deficiency. Visolve is a software application (free for personal use) that transforms colors of the computer display into the discriminable colors for various people including people with color vision deficiency, commonly called color blindness."
Reference: https://www.weather.gov/jetstream/refl

The reason why humans are able to avoid getting wet during a bad weather or killed during an incoming storm, its thanks to weather radar systems displaying color. The scientists who sits all day at their desks looking at the computer monitor (just like programmers) uses "color" to help them to "parse" the activity of storms:

Here is a quote from National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) for the National Severe Storms Laboratory (NSSL) radar system:

"Inside the control room of the experimental Doppler weather radar at NOAA's National Severe Storms Laboratory (NSSL) in Norman, Okla., the storm showed up as a color-coded mass on the radar's television screen."

Reference: https://vlab.noaa.gov/web/nws-heritage/-/introducing-nexrad

Here is what the US military do to color code different aspects or variables on their Military Map:

Red - Classifies cultural features, such as populated areas, main roads, and boundaries, on older maps.
Brown - Identifies all relief features and elevation, such as contours on older edition maps, and cultivated land on red-light readable maps.
Green - Identifies vegetation with military significance, such as woods, orchards, and vineyards.
Blue - Identifies hydrography or water features such as lakes, swamps, rivers, and drainage.
Other - Occasionally other colors may be used to show special information. These are indicated in the marginal information as a rule.
Red-Brown - Indicates cultural (man-made) features such as buildings and roads, surveyed spot elevations, and all labels.
Black - Indicates cultural (man-made) features such as buildings and roads, surveyed spot elevations, and all labels.

Reference: https://www.boisestate.edu/sps-militaryscience/current-cadet-corner/colors/

Even certain cars/trucks/buses/planes/ships are "colored" to a precise color not because of just random choice. Scientists and engineers add specific colors to things so that monochrome programmers who gets blinded/blurred with colorized texts would pay attention to certain colors regardless of what they personally think about it. The fact is that your eyes and brain alerts you about it even when you're not aware of it consciously since these acknowledgement events happens subconsciously:

Don't believe me? Here is a professional Japanese Optics Manufacture (Olympus Corporation) have to say:

"In recent years, consideration of human color visual sensitivity has led to changes in the long-standing practice of painting emergency vehicles, such as fire trucks and ambulances, entirely red. Although the color is intended for the vehicles to be easily seen and responded to, the wavelength distribution is not highly visible at low light levels and appears nearly black at night. The human eye is much more sensitive to yellow-green or similar hues, particularly at night, and now most new emergency vehicles are at least partially painted a vivid yellowish green or white, often retaining some red highlights in the interest of tradition."
Reference: https://www.olympus-lifescience.com/en/microscope-resource/primer/lightandcolor/humanvisionintro/

Even the invention of the first monochrome CRT television is immensely colorized with just white and black color. You might think I'm talking nonsense, but the fact is that the CRT television would never be a proper TV without using many different "shades" of color(gray). So ask yourself, is it not monochrome TV "colorized"? (Answer: It is).
Because of colorization, humans are able to get much more information just from two colors and varying the intensity among these two colors.

Reference: Of how monochrome TVs work, scroll to 8:44 timestamp which discusses about the shades of gray:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ivc95tsfOU

With just using two colors of white and black and varying the intensity, humans are able to distinguish 1,000 different shades of gray (AKA color):
Reference: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3043920/

However, sadly, for CRT monitors for computers in the old days were rather not advanced like televisions. This is due to limited hardware, and the texts displayed are simply dead on two colors with no additional shades of color in between without varying the intensity of the two colors. This could be maybe programmers/computer engineers/computer scientists did not care for more advanced colorized texts which are used in a more professional environment such is airports, planes, military etc.

Time have changed over the decades and today, there is a great need for colorized texts, its benefits are obvious for programmers and this is nothing more than human evolution for more complex and intelligent ways to be better in programming which is literally a huge factor for advanced computer science.

So parsing through many lines of code, you'll have a higher chance of missing unique symbols/characters or put more effort in finding it as compared to finding colored texts/symbols.

I mean, yes you could say you can train yourself intentionally for months or years to defeat human's gift in evolution to see color and have precise sensory sensitivity for it, but thats like degrading your ability to not make use of it.

With this said, scientifically, it seems silly to program literally with just monochrome (even without different shades of color for it). The the scientific facts and proof are given, color texts/symbols in programming is useful and productive. Does not mean it should be used for everything but needs to be acknowledged that colorized texts/symbols are valid instead of blindly disapproving it.

Imagine you are trying to find the text: "function_something()".
And you put like a bunch of lines like this to find it: ---------------------------------
Good luck finding it when many functions or spam lines like that exists in the code file.
That's why editors have a search function but color coding won't help you find that function amongst an equal number of similarly color coded function names.

The human eyes are also highly sensitive to certain colors than simply unique symbols/characters.
Yes they are but not as sensitive to all colors and the ability to distinguish among multiple colors is not the same thing.

"Color is an effective and attractive tool for coding information on a display. It can help to organize and categorize complex information and can also have a profound effect on our ability to search for specific information. Color is both attractive and functional."
This is true but you must limit the colors. Otherwise they dissolve into a blur. Look at military operation screens and you'll see limited coloring. Look at airport radar screens and, again, limited coloring. As your own quotes show, it was advantageous to limit the colors to six so information could be discernable when side-by-side.

However, this information is not textual! In that case it is graphic display with connected text. Not programming code which is read similarly to reading a novel (if I may).

Illumination of rooms is also not the same thing as information display. Visual display of a scene in a movie is not the same as information exchange.

Note that most, if not all, coding styles say nothing about color. All text for coding style and writing manuals and writing books deals with margins and indentation and text size and line height and not color!

With just using two colors of white and black and varying the intensity, humans are able to distinguish 1,000 different shades of gray
Time have changed over the decades and today, there is a great need for colorized texts
We need more than 1,000 shades of gray to convey information? You forget or don't know that color is color and its intensity is based on shades of gray. You can mix colors but but discerning between purple and violet and indigo is far more difficult.

That reminds me of the problem we had in my restaurants. We had too many types of chips. Fritos, plain Lays potato chips, BBQ chips, and on and on. Too much choice. I think we had 10 or more different kinds. It got to the point where customers would give up and not buy anything!

We cut it down to like five varieties and chip sales actually went up! There are studies about this "too much choice" syndrome. I think the same is true of the multitude of color highlighting to the point it adds nothing and actually detracts. As I said earlier in this thread, it's why we have indenting, braces, quotes, and so on.

Customer did not buy anything because you have everything? Seriously lol?

You seem to be right and it does make sense by logic. Here is what PhD psychologists have to say:

"In fact, some researchers find that too much choice can actually lead people to take less positive risks in making selections and to use simplifying strategies in lieu of more considered choices."

Reference: https://www.apa.org/monitor/jun04/toomany#:~:text=In%20fact%2C%20some%20researchers%20find,lieu%20of%20more%20considered%20choices.

I have to admit, I do think like this, there is no reason to torture the brain to do complex analysis for shopping. It's one of the reasons why I dislike shopping. I spend hours in shopping (and it benefits me greatly).

Daniel Kahneman (Professor in Psychology) describes how humans think and won the Noble Prize in economics in 2002 for showing that people think two ways, which he describes in systems:

"System 1" - Buy things quick and simple without much effort. (Which your customers do, basically everyone)
"System 2" - Buy things using as much thought process for better outcomes. (Which I do).

Reference:

Although from personal experience, having few varieties does not help business but having more popular varieties helps increase sales. But theres more to the story, business dynamics and customer interaction are also vital.

I actually did a lot research in this. The problem with physical store businesses is not helping the customer narrow down what they want, this causes them to stress in shopping. I mean how can store employees babysit customers? Yeap, never going to happen.

This is the very reason why online shopping is taking over physical shopping. With online shopping you can have thousands of chips of different brands at a warehouse and customers will never go through the burden for needing to pick which one they one out from it.
Customers will simply type "chips" on the search platform of your site and it's up to you to properly present which chips should be displayed. This gets immensely complicated and many parameters needs to be known so that you present the right chips. This gets into complex data science, it is why data scientists are raking over $100K a year using only Python.

One of the tactics used by online businesses to help their customers to buy products is called "Fear Of Missing Out" (google it). How can these implementations be applied to physical stores? Never going to happen effectively as to online website stores.

However, theres also a big problem with online shopping, theres not enough product diversity/selection, those customers who knows precisely what they want (the system 2 people) and will search "Corn Tortilla", if your site doesn't have it, even not at the right price... customers will be disappointed and will go back to the big players like Amazon or Walmart.

With this said, color coding in essence is not applicable in human psychology of "too much choice" syndrome, since there are always programmers who wants to think rationally using complex details which helps them greatly (System 2 guys).

That's why editors have a search function but color coding won't help you find that function amongst an equal number of similarly color coded function names.

This is why the militray and professional users who uses computers do not have the time to "search" hundreds/thousands of data. This will cause unproductivity. I simply do not have the time to keep pressing "ctrl+F" all the time, it becomes a nuisances and programming performance degrades immensely.

Yes they are but not as sensitive to all colors and the ability to distinguish among multiple colors is not the same thing.

Point is, using colors other than just simply just plain monochrome is far better. Yes it is the same thing, the brain is able to distinguish multiple selected colors. It helps humans to parse information and be productive for whatever they're doing. You haven't read the references supporting the claims.

This is true but you must limit the colors. Otherwise they dissolve into a blur. Look at military operation screens and you'll see limited coloring. Look at airport radar screens and, again, limited coloring. As your own quotes show, it was advantageous to limit the colors to six so information could be discernable when side-by-side.

Exactly, so now you agree the fact that plain "monochrome" is not scientifically useful as compared to "colorized" screens. I stand correct. This means you have more than two colors, most likely 4 or more colors better than monochrome. The discussion was that plain texts/symbols in monochrome is not productive, the scientific papers simply states that. I mean spamming the computer display with hundreds of colors is obviously nothing more than a confetti party of spam (blur).

However, this information is not textual! In that case it is graphic display with connected text. Not programming code which is read similarly to reading a novel (if I may).

No, programming is not like reading a novel, far from it. That is simply wishful thinking. Have you read the naval scientific paper? You think the navy's submarine control center operators are searching on the colorized computer displays of full blown symbols that looks like perfect dolphins, sharks and squids at the ocean?
They do have colorized texts, read the scientific naval paper.

Matter of fact, any PhD computer scientist will tell you that "texts" that you think of is no different than symbols like "OVX/\<>". The fact is that "texts" is nothing more than "symbols", no difference at all. This is literally the basis how humans were literally able to make computers using numbers of just 1s and 0s to represent "symbols".
You seriously think programmers only program in English texts? There are Chinese programmers who are programming in Chinese. Did you know Chinese texts are nothing more than glyph characters, then ask yourself, what are "glyph" characters? Hmm... yeap, you guessed it, nothing more than symbols.

Recent survey shows China has the best AI research and AI research is heavily based in programming.

Illumination of rooms is also not the same thing as information display. Visual display of a scene in a movie is not the same as information exchange.

Illumination does play a role for productivity for your eyes to visually see the colors on your computer display, regardless of the fact you're using CRT displays (I bet many still uses them today for programming). The point was that the "color" (Illumination of colors) is vital for professional tasks which helps/aids the "eyes" heavily in reading/parsing information/data. You haven't read the paper why this is the case.

Note that most, if not all, coding styles say nothing about color. All text for coding style and writing manuals and writing books deals with margins and indentation and text size and line height and not color!

Well science proves that data displayed on screens works better with color. Regardless what the data is and how you parse or use it, adding color to texts/symbols on the screen is proven to be productive and effective. You are in denial even with the scientific papers presented. There are numerous papers on the google stating so.

We need more than 1,000 shades of gray to convey information? You forget or don't know that color is color and its intensity is based on shades of gray. You can mix colors but but discerning between purple and violet and indigo is far more difficult.

You're confused with the objective here. Programmers who are blinded/blurred by "color" only uses two specific shades of colors for programming on their PC desktop. This is what color "blurries" coders were saying on this thread. They only need "plain monochrome", and lets not forget that "plain monochrome" on text editors for PC desktops are nothing more than "two colors", like literally "two colors", no shades of colors used at all.
They simply use one specific "white" intensity color and one specific "dark" intensity color and thats all to it.

Seems like the color "blurries" coders are now trying to switch their claims here after I have proven the fact that colorized displays are productive backed by scientific research papers.

What I was implying with the 1,000 shades of gray color is that humans have the immense ability and skill to distinguish many shades of color and people who learns to utilize this skill in programming will benefit for better coding performance and productivity.
Coders obviously will not use 1,000 shades of gray but maybe at least 2 or 3 shades at max rather than just one specific shade of gray.
This is also proves that it is false conjecture to say that coders gets "blurred" with different shades of gray, this proves those who does get "blurred" with different shades of gray are seriously color blinded or have lost the ability to use this effective skill in using different shades of gray for programming on colorized displays(texts/symbols).

This discussion got me thinking about the color coding of hazard signs. They tend to be yellow and black or red and black. I always thought that was because these colours are associated with unpleasant insects/reptiles etc., that one might like to avoid. But I don’t know?
There’s an interesting Wikipedia article on the science of communicating to humans in the distant future that nuclear waste ought to be avoided.

Regarding emacs, I was developing a program in Haskell and all the Haskell IDEs available seemed half finished or had fallen into disrepair. So I tried using emacs. My recollection of it is having to copy and paste lisp code from disparate parts of the web into a config file to get even basic features like a list of the functions in a particular source file. There were several other steps too in configuration, and more features each with its own lisp snippet - I can’t recall them now but I can recall the extreme frustration involved and the time spent. And when it was done I still had to contend with all the bizarre keybindings and so on.
So that’s the reason I moan about emacs and will never voluntarily use it again!

Back