GNOME 3 locking after login

D

Deleted member 67029

I am running FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE. After I login to GNOME 3, it locks the screen. Then when I enter my password, it says authentication failure. Then when I try and enter my password again, I can't enter my password - I type but nothing shows up.

What could be causing this problem?

Nice thought, but no. Plus, when I show the password, the password is correct.

What is strange is it was fine the first time I logged in.

I just logged in as root, rebooted, and then logged in as root again. The problem didn't happen. The problem only happens with me, GNOME 3 doesn't like me for some reason. Ow, well that's not very nice!!

It appears FreeBSD developers don't actually test what they build. I have installed FreeBSD and GNOME and X Window System exactly as per the instructions, yet it doesn't work!

You are badly delusional. If it was working fine I wouldn't be stuck trying to login.

I am going to seek help from the GNOME community. I will report back if I find success.

That's what happened to me! I didn't mention it though because I thought it was irrelevant!

What do you think?! Bug?

Does anyone know how I can find out which version of GNOME 3 I have? FreeBSD's 'About FreeBSD Ports' page doesn't return anything for 'gnome3'.

So I logged in as root and restarted the system from a virtual terminal but the problem did not happen when I logged in. The problem still persists for my user account.

Maybe not related but, is your $USER in the video group?

BTW, you can remove the .xinitrc in the homefolder of your $USER because you use gdm.

If I want to run something as root then I will run it as root. That's my choice and no one can stop me.

I'll be a little more friendly when people stop giving me attitude.

I deleted everything in my home directory and rebooted. The problem persists.

If you're using ZFS and had done a snapshot before any installed components; I'd suggest reverting back to that state, and try from scratch again. Are you able drop into a tty and see what you can gather from logs in it's current state?

Actually, I didn't delete everything because I used the Ubuntu command 'rm -rf *' and thought it would work here, but I noticed the files still existed, so I used the command 'rm -rf .*' and it did the trick. I then rebooted and the problem is no longer present.

Back