FVWM

ILUXA

Aspiring Daemon

Don't get me wrong, I've nothing to complain about pcmanfm, I've been using it for some 5 years now and rather like it. It really goes a long way as a standalone file manager, I'm very thankful for it. It does provide everything you'll need in a file manager, that's true.
My FVWM config related to this FM only onсe, I added icon to start it quickly from dock. But it's very easy to switch this icon to start any another one FM, so I cannot understand, why we discuss pcmanfm in serious FVWM topic. Personally I use GUI FM pretty rarely, to perform most of file operations, I use drop-down terminal, which is also present in my config and may be easily launched with F1 hotkey.

Last edited:

ILUXA

Aspiring Daemon

Wmatrix.gif

In FVWM (x11-wm/fvwm2) it is pretty easy to "dock" whatever application you want. If app has WM_CLASS or WM_NAME in its properties (use FvwmIdent or xprop to find it out), then, it's possible to add it to your dock (FvwmButtons module). For example, it is possible to "dock" graphics/sxiv, which will play your favorite gif animation, for example, to add it to my config (https://forums.freebsd.org/posts/390111), find lines containing "*Dock:" and replace one of dockapps with it. To replace wmclock with animated gif, find
Code:
*Dock: (2x2, Frame 2, Swallow(UseOld,NoClose) wmclock 'Exec exec wmclock -led green -24', \

in ~/.fvwm/config and replace it with
Code:
*Dock: (2x2, Frame 2, Swallow(UseOld,NoClose) myanimation 'Exec exec sxiv -g 64x64 -N myanimation -ba /path/to/your/animated.gif, \

If you want to change this animated dockapp click actions, edit few lines, which follows the line from above:
Code:
Action(Mouse1) 'Exec exec $[infostore.terminal] -g 66x36 -cr white -bd white -bg white -fg black -b 25 -hold -e cal -A11', \
Action(Mouse3) 'Exec exec $[infostore.terminal] -g 74x31 -cr black -bd black -fg white -bg black -b 25 -hold -e ncal -A11')

Change commands after "Exec exec". By default, these lines should open two types of calendar with left/right click. "Action(Mouse1)" is left click, "Action(Mouse2)" is middle click and "Action(Mouse3)" is right mouse click.
Here is couple of ~ 60x60px gifs, for example:
whypnotic.gif

wmatrix.gif

But it is even possible to use some terminal applications as dockapps, for example, to "dock" misc/termatrix, it is possible to use the following code
Code:
*Dock: (2x2, Frame 2, Swallow(UseOld,NoClose) wmatrix 'Exec exec urxvt -fn xft:Andale\\ Mono:size=6 -name wmatrix -g 4x6 -e termatrix')

termatrix.gif