FreeBSD Screen Shots

1643481700398.png

Image credit: John Baldwin

Came across a cheap ThinkCentre M92p Tiny, had to relearn FreeBSD somewhat, but was able to do a simple gnome3-lite install, edit some config files and the thing is flying.

Kuddos again to user mrclksr for this script. No DRM and sound issues with the website of the Dutch public broadcaster using # ./linux-browser-installer install chrome.

Screenshot from 2022-02-04 17-57-54.png

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-02-04 18-38-45.png
    Screenshot from 2022-02-04 18-38-45.png
    583 KB · Views: 146
Came across a cheap ThinkCentre M92p Tiny [...] and the thing is flying
Very nice machines. I actually picked up a ThinkCentre M73 the other day for less than the price of a Raspberry Pi 4. Fantastic machine!

In some ways, rather than use some random SoC for a hobby IoT project, I might just buy a replacement M73 mobo and an old Intel i3 and use that. It would be cheaper than many of them and not far off it in terms of size.

For a few weeks, I experimented with an extended desktop separated by my TV in the distance. Larger display (Philips) to the right.

I made little use of the smaller display (circa 2013 HP notebook, docked), so I reverted to placing the dock and notebook to the right of the Philips display.

1644063622222.png

My TV remains in the distance, to the left of what's above.

Firefox, new window, randomly bugged by the most beautiful array of broken toolbar icons:

1644268495781.png

– thank you, Bug Goddess, for providing so beautiful a patchwork.

A few hours later, the same type of thing in Thunderbird. Less beautiful, but still enjoyable:

1644302519767.png

Last edited:
beautiful array of broken

The same breakage is reported in FreeBSD bug 261773, which is currently against graphics/drm-fbsd13-kmod but seems to be broader than originally reported. I might be the only person thinking of it as beautiful. The power of positive thinking 🌻

Weirdly, I have no difficulty ignoring the functional impact of 261773, but I had to stop using the sci-fi wallpaper pictured above because the rings of the planet are cosmetically wrong. The rings are some way below, not in line with, the equator.

Instead, I reused one of my previous favourites:

2022-02-08 07-08-02 ringed planet not aligned with its rings.png

– but after seeing the rings wrong around one planet, now I can't stop seeing that the rings are wrong here, too :-/

I now have a wallpaper that reminds me of imagery in A Matter of Life and Death (one of my favourite films), plus an image from the film itself:

2022-02-08 07-16-34 A Matter of Life and Death ish.png 2022-02-10 15-19-10 three displays.png

Postscript

As far as I can tell, <https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-src/commit/b51927b7b018d268c91b2127d82786caf68254de> in main and <https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-src/commit/3261dea72c24aa7b33eb90aeae95d82078cfc5e4> in stable/13 were (together) the fix for FreeBSD bugs 261773 and 261707.

Last edited:
I'm currently working on updating port x11-wm/jwm to v2.4, but there are some errors to resolve before submitting a PR.

Those out there using it might enjoy this sneak preview. See release notes for new features.

The port you see a image of is built with CAIRO and SVG enabled to display icons in the root menu, and x11-themes/icons-tango installed.

Default style is "motif", but can be changed to "flat".

JWM03.png

This is my old color scheme and style "flat". Be advised the v2.3 jwmrc is not compatible with v2.4, JWM core dumps with it.

JWM02.png

I'm currently working on updating port x11-wm/jwm to v2.4, but there are some errors to resolve before submitting a PR.

Those out there using it might enjoy this sneak preview. See release notes for new features.
That's cool.
The port you see a image of is built with CAIRO and SVG enabled to display icons in the root menu, and x11-themes/icons-tango installed.

Default style is "motif", but can be changed to "flat".
When I installed SVG and Cairo, an SVG JWM icon can go where the words "JWM" are in the window bar. The default SVG icon was oversized and made the taskbar much wider (taller).

Cairo and SVG brought in too many unrelated dependencies.

x11-themes/icons-tango puts files into /usr/local/share/icons/Tango/. What I found is that .svg files go into the folder scalable/, while .png files are in the folders of specific sizes.

Cairo and SVG brought in too many unrelated dependencies.
That's true. I built the port with them to demonstrate the visual capability of the root menu.

I personally don't care about the root menu, rarely use it, on all WM's I work with. I prefer keyboard over mouse. Ten fingers, hovering over the keyboard, to mange the WM all possible actions the WM permits and I find useful are bind to keys.

Back