FreeBSD Screen Shots

snapshot34.png

I've finalized the look I've been wanting for a while now, so this should be the last screenshot for a while :D. I only ran another konsole to show the non-WINE window decoration. On another note, this is such an underrated desktop environment..

On another note, this is such an underrated desktop environment..

Nice. Certainly agree. This was from the generation just before DEs became impossibly sh*t. ;)

Out of interest, can you give an approximate ram usage? My guess is that TDE is probably even lighter than Xfce and yet also provides vastly more features compared to all current DEs combined! Amazing how developers like that existed back then.

Out of interest, can you give an approximate ram usage? My guess is that TDE is probably even lighter than Xfce and yet also provides vastly more features compared to all current DEs combined! Amazing how developers like that existed back then.

Sure! Without Firefox running, and only using the apps that I use daily that are native to TDE (such as Kmail and KlamAV), the memory usage is right at 400 MB. I'm also using a SuperKaramba theme I made and several Kicker applets so it could be lowered, but I think the real amazing part is that this is with all of that running. :eek:

Unfortunately, if you're wanting to run TDE for yourself on FreeBSD it takes dedication. For one, it's not in the ports collection (sadly) so you have to get Slavek's builds from Gitea. Secondly, there is still a bug in the make process related to one of the library packages that halts everything so you have to build it yourself according to the make files (and skip what doesn't work). However, it was worth it in the end and maybe one day it will wind up in the ports collection. I have 0 complaints. ;)

sunrise.jpg

My Thinkpad T400 running FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p7 after a 3 day run with portmaster -a to update all ports.

This is really the first time I've done that. Have done it on 3-4 machines, encountered the same failpoint problems on them all, worked through it the way way, finished successfully and could have rebuilt the whole thing from scratch in less time... :-/

Last edited by a moderator:
Robot_Overlord01.jpg

Todays_Becky_Thatcher.jpg

Top is my W520 running FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p7. Below, at 107 days uptime, my W520 .mp3 player running FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p3.

sweet_papa_john.jpg

Thinkpad T61 running FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p7 on Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 @ 2.0GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB Scorpio Black HDD @ 7200RPM, Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M and 15.4" 1680x1050 (WSXGA+) widescreen.

• KDE Plasma
  • 2,048 MB base memory
  • 32 MB video memory

With base memory halved to 1,024 MB, swap enabled and video memory increased to 48 MB:
  • less than 100 M memory (RES) used by KWin – not bad.

1630333862882.png

<https://bsd-hardware.info/?probe=337d878725>

Windowed applications comprised:
  • Dolphin
  • Firefox
  • GNU Image Manipulation Program
  • KCharSelect
  • Konsole
  • LibreOffice Calc
  • LibreOffice Impress
  • LibreOffice Writer
  • System Settings
  • VLC media player.

Last edited:
If Garuda didn't had all these bloatware :)
I can't do better than garuda for real .
Wait for the CultBSD Rice ...... i will not reveal its codename yet
Bspwm and Herbstluftwm will be my best choices and picom compiled from git with rounded corners blurred transparency with dual_kawase nice icons etc
View attachment 11142

• VirtualBox host (background) FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT
  • VirtualBox guest (foreground) CultBSD third pre-alpha, FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE-p4
  • KDE Plasma
  • 2,048 MB base memory
  • 32 MB video memory
  • x11-fonts/firago for use of Devanagari at <https://garudalinux.org/>

Skynet_World.png
W520 running Freebsd-RELEASE-p7

earachemyeye.jpg

Thinkpad T400 running Freebsd-RELEASE-p7

HoE_T43.png

IBM T43 running 1386 Freebsd-RELEASE-p7

Back