FreeBSD Screen Shots

hunter0one

snapshot34.png

I've finalized the look I've been wanting for a while now, so this should be the last screenshot for a while :D. I only ran another konsole to show the non-WINE window decoration. On another note, this is such an underrated desktop environment..

kpedersen

Son of Beastie

On another note, this is such an underrated desktop environment..

Nice. Certainly agree. This was from the generation just before DEs became impossibly sh*t. ;)

Out of interest, can you give an approximate ram usage? My guess is that TDE is probably even lighter than Xfce and yet also provides vastly more features compared to all current DEs combined! Amazing how developers like that existed back then.

hunter0one

Out of interest, can you give an approximate ram usage? My guess is that TDE is probably even lighter than Xfce and yet also provides vastly more features compared to all current DEs combined! Amazing how developers like that existed back then.

Sure! Without Firefox running, and only using the apps that I use daily that are native to TDE (such as Kmail and KlamAV), the memory usage is right at 400 MB. I'm also using a SuperKaramba theme I made and several Kicker applets so it could be lowered, but I think the real amazing part is that this is with all of that running. :eek:

Unfortunately, if you're wanting to run TDE for yourself on FreeBSD it takes dedication. For one, it's not in the ports collection (sadly) so you have to get Slavek's builds from Gitea. Secondly, there is still a bug in the make process related to one of the library packages that halts everything so you have to build it yourself according to the make files (and skip what doesn't work). However, it was worth it in the end and maybe one day it will wind up in the ports collection. I have 0 complaints. ;)