FreeBSD Screen Shots

No, I don't have i3-gaps on my machine and that's because I'd like to use all available space on desktop. If I'd want gaps I'd use Mod+Shift+Space. On Arch I have i3-gaps but the gap it's only 1 pixel. Gaps are good on big screens 24"+, mine it's only 14".

i3-gaps+i3blocks
i3wm28-27.01.2018.png i3wm27-27.01.2018.png

Last edited:
You might want to try my port instead, which I maintain for my own use.

First I tried to update that port Sensucht94 mentioned but I had no luck then I've discovered your port which I'm using right now. Thanks for the work you've done!
Why don't You add it to the official ports tree collection?

i3-gaps-freebsd.png

It would nice to see a screenshot that includes x11/xconsole, that isn't started from xdm, to show connected or disconnected devices like printers, like the output on ttyv0. It would be started from any window-manager, and configured to not have borders, like onscreen terminals. Now that I think of it, transparency of it would be a problem.

It would nice to see a screenshot that includes x11/xconsole, that isn't started from xdm, to show connected or disconnected devices like printers, like the output on ttyv0. It would be started from any window-manager, and configured to not have borders, like onscreen terminals. Now that I think of it, transparency of it would be a problem.

TBH, I've never used it before even though it's included in the x11/xorg metaport. But there is plenty of room for it on my desktop and a welcome addition. It would be nice if it didn't have that x11/xterm white BG.

I'm running it on both my T61. One shows this error when I open my browser (formatted to not blow out the side), the other which should have been built exactly the same does not:

Code:
NVRM: API mismatch: the client has version 304.306 but this kernel version has 304.304.
NVRM: Please make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components have the same module.

I'm putting that one to work compiling ports to see if I can get anything else out of it. It's kind of boring, but here's a shot of me using this box with # xconsole -verbose -daemon, which releases the terminal you invoke it from, to scan it from the LAN. If I can manage one with more info I'll replace it:

xconsole.png

I've found that Configuration files for x programs like xconsole can be moved from /usr/local/share/X11/app-defaults to /usr/local/etc/X11/app-defaults and be adjusted.

That broke it for me. I no longer got the "Console log for obake" message , my attempt at changing colors didn't work and I had to kill the process from top to stop it.

But this works. Just add this to the bottom of /usr/local/share/X11/app-defaults/Xconsole:

Code:
*background:            black
*foreground:            white

xconsole03.png

Just add this to the bottom of /usr/local/share/X11/app-defaults/Xconsole:
Code:
*background:            black
*foreground:            white
I think xconsole needs root access, that it gets when started from XDM. That's something graphical programs can't normally get, like when started from .xsession or the desktop's startup script. I put your code by itself in /usr/local/etc/X11/app-defaults/Xconsole, and left /usr/local/share/X11/app-defaults/Xconsole alone. x11/xconsole works properly when set in /usr/local/etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0, and not started within the desktop.

* edit - Programs started from the desktop use ~/.Xdefaults, as /usr/local/etc/X11/app-defaults breaks programs started from here (also mentioned above). If started from xdm, use only the added lines in /usr/local/etc/X11/app-defaults/.

maybe just start xconsole with setuid?
Or is this risky?
I don't know. If I can figure out how to start/use desktop graphical programs (like xconsole or cdburning tools) from the desktop that need root or more permissions, through some /etc/ configuration. From xdm, it works just fine.

Yes, it does require root access, but if you use the -daemon flag it will release the terminal it's invoked from and you can continue on. I plan on using it on all my desktops from now on since I like to monitor everything anyway. It tucks under where I have x11-fm/xfe and is at home there. :)

I fixed it on the OpenBSD box I have running ATM by importing the whole FreeBSD /usr/local/share/X11 directory to /etc, as the OpenBSD /etc/X11 directory is empty in its current condition. The "Console log" message, color fix and everything works just as well and it's running now.

I always start programs like sysutils/tkdvd from the commandline. It's one of the reasons I keep two terminals open most of the time.

just checked... doesn't work with setuid :'‑(

But hmmm...
maybe a login script for a uid 0 user for an admin shell window, which starts xconsole?

It works when I do su in a Konsole and start it from there.

btw, thanks for reminding me of xconsole, I love it :)

Back