Solved FreeBSD Jails or bhyve hypervisor

Hello community of freeBSD

I have a project in mind to replace my windows server park.
Currently I have a netgear as router and a Windows 2008 server that does AD and windows share.

I have for idea to replace the netgear by PFSENSE and the active directory by samba4 for the domain controller and freenas or another Freebsd for windows sharing.

What is the best solution for performance and security:

- XenServer or FreeBSD bhyve with a vm pfsense, vm samba, vm share (or freenas)
- FreeBsd Jail

I have read that the kernel of all the jails must have the same version, it may be possible.

There may be a VM windows 10 later, bhyve can turn next to a jail?

Here is my little problem.

I thank you in advance !

I'm sorry for my English, I think the translator did not help me a lot

I have read that the kernel of all the jails must have the same version, it may be possible.
Jails don't have a kernel and run on top of the host's kernel.

bhyve can turn next to a jail?
Yes.
Code:
root@molly:~ # vm list
NAME            DATASTORE       LOADER      CPU    MEMORY    VNC                  AUTOSTART    STATE
pptimg01        default         uefi        1      512M      -                    No           Stopped
ppttst01        default         uefi        1      512M      0.0.0.0:5900         No           Locked (molly.dicelan.home)
sdgame01        default         grub        2      4096M     -                    No           Stopped
sdkerb01        default         uefi        1      512M      -                    No           Stopped
sdtest01        default         uefi        1      512M      -                    No           Stopped
wintermute      default         bhyveload   4      2048M     -                    Yes [1]      Running (992)
root@molly:~ # jls
   JID  IP Address      Hostname                      Path
   152  192.168.10.202  j-ports.dicelan.home          /jails/j-ports

Hello community of freeBSD

I have a project in mind to replace my windows server park.
Currently I have a netgear as router and a Windows 2008 server that does AD and windows share.

I have for idea to replace the netgear by PFSENSE and the active directory by samba4 for the domain controller and freenas or another Freebsd for windows sharing.

What is the best solution for performance and security:

- XenServer or FreeBSD bhyve with a vm pfsense, vm samba, vm share (or freenas)
- FreeBsd Jail

There may be a VM windows 10 later, bhyve can turn next to a jail?

Here is my little problem.

I thank you in advance !

I'm sorry for my English, I think the translator did not help me a lot

SirDice explained it succinctly. I'm just expanding...

If you are running only FreeBSD and they are all always going to be running the exact same version of FreeBSD (same kernel), then jails will make better use of your system resources as they have less overhead than a VM (Xen or bhyve).

If you need to run different versions of FreeBSD or different operating systems entirely (like windows) then you need a full-on VM solution (Xen or bhyve). If the host OS is FreeBSD, then bhyve will probably be more efficient (I haven't tested this).

If the operating systems you want to run won't run on bhyve (it is newer than Xen), you may need to move everything to Xen or try a different VM solution that does run on FreeBSD as a host (like VirtualBox).

Finally, in most cases, your firewall should run on it's own hardware. running PFSense in a VM or jail won't protect the host OS and you rely much more heavily on the reliability and security of your VLAN solution and configuration to protect everything.

Back