FreeBSD Hosting/Shared/VPS etc.

Howdy

In the past I ran a vps that I found on lowendbox that I used to host my personal website and a few other things. It ran Debian, Nginx and a hugo static site.

Since I migrated to FreeBSD and use it full time now, I'd like to migrate my webserver to FreeBSD as well, it would be a lot lighter on the resources plus FreeBSD is a lot nicer from the shell.

Does anyone on here have any recommendations for a VPS that I can run FreeBSD on?

I've been running mine on digital ocean for about 3 months now and they have been excellent. They seem to take FreeBSD support quite seriously as well, FreeBSD 11.0 was available on digital ocean the day it was released, with support for ZFS and UFS.

If you want to try it use the promo code 'freebsdnow' which gives you $10 free credit and supports the BSD Now podcast :)

I have had some success with FreeBSD in production so far with Microsoft Azure (static sites only so far but I am planning on deploying some more complex websites written in Golang and Ruby soon). I have also been using FreeBSD in Hyper-V (the hypervisor used on Microsoft Azure) on my local computer for testing purposes and haven't encountered any issues so far. Microsoft itself releases the FreeBSD VM images on Azure, so you can use that to convince others that deploying on FreeBSD is not risky. On a side note, I have already had success with Ubuntu and CentOS with some Ruby on Rails and Golang deployments. I like Azure since you can create multiple VMs and set them up with your own network topology quite easily (like you can have to 2 load balanced web-facing machines in front of a database machine that is not directly exposed to the web).

Started on DigitalOcean a few years ago, but switched to Linode last year and have been happy with their service ever since. They are also very competitive in pricing compared to DO.

Started on Digital Ocean before FreeBSD was available, then switched to FreeBSD as soon as it was available. I've recently moved to Vultr because they had a local country data centre, provide twice the RAM, provide 25% more SSD and to top it off, disk i/o is 2x faster than DO. Same price $US 5/month.

The only reason I had investigated DO alternatives was that while DO provide IPv6, they non-negotiably block outgoing port 25 (for IPv6 only). Also DO only assign 16 IPv6 addresses per droplet; Vultr assign a full /64.

*BSD hosting service

Hello, forum!
Im looking now for maximum-stable and high-availability hosting, based preferably on OpenBSD.
Any suggestions or opinions?

As for me, http://bsdvm.com; http://arpnetworks.com and http://www.rootbsd.net look very interesting. has anyone used them?
bsdvm.com is shutting down its hosting operations: "BSDvm is shutting down its VPS and cloud hosting and will transform into BSD and Linux hosting review service" (22/07/2017)

What the... One euro a month? How are they making money?
No idea but besides that you get an ipv4 plus and ipv6 segment, really good for an ssh jump host, OpenVPN, irc, I have been testing them and speed I would say is ok, here is the output of cli speedtest:

Code:
> speedtest
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from Aruba S.p.A. (80.211.148.10)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by AirWifi (Siena) [50.18 km]: 22.145 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 777.90 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed................................................................................................
Upload: 506.11 Mbit/s

ZFS:

Code:
> zpool list
NAME    SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
zroot  17.9G  1.99G  15.9G         -    14%    11%  1.00x  ONLINE  -

The CPU and MEM:
Code:
Copyright (c) 1992-2016 The FreeBSD Project.
Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
        The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation.
FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE #0 r297264: Fri Mar 25 02:10:02 UTC 2016
    root@releng1.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
FreeBSD clang version 3.4.1 (tags/RELEASE_34/dot1-final 208032) 20140512
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650L v4 @ 1.70GHz (1700.00-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin="GenuineIntel"  Id=0x206d2  Family=0x6  Model=0x2d  Stepping=2
  Features=0xf83fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS>
  Features2=0x9e982203<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,SSSE3,CX16,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,POPCNT,AESNI,XSAVE,OSXSAVE,AVX,HV>
  AMD Features=0x28100800<SYSCALL,NX,RDTSCP,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
  TSC: P-state invariant
Hypervisor: Origin = "VMwareVMware"
real memory  = 1073741824 (1024 MB)
avail memory = 1006751744 (960 MB)

What is good and cheap VPS - FreeBSD?

Looking for servers FreeBSD VPS with the price to $ 15 per month, what do you recommend?

Hello,

I use this one for FreeBSD VPS - 5.49 Euro/Month

I am very happy with this Hungarian hoster. Very stable and fast.

And this FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, Debian/GNU/Linux, Linux ... hoster allows Tor Exit Relays/Nodes

https://serverastra.com/billing/kno...ed-and-obligatory-Tor-exit-node-policies.html

https://serverastra.com/

KVM Virtual Dedicated Servers
Kernel Virtual Machine Virtual Dedicated Servers
Intel E3 Xeon based VDS
30mbps/Unmetered Network
from €5.49/m

Yep, that's the idea!
I have an issue with liteserver. I can't get speed above 1.5Mbts (download) with ipsec VPN. As upload speed is 50+ Mbts and I use the same setup with vds6 without any problems I suspect something wrong within their infrastructure :(

Does turning off TSO on the network interface help?
Nope. TSO doesn't affect performance.
Here is the recent measurement - it looks very strange http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6946253190 I even asked support if my VPS is somehow limited - they assured me that it's not.

Looking for new VPS provider with 1Tb/mo minimum. I accidently pulled entire limit of my vds6.net VPS with etherium wallet, knew nothing that it syncs entire blockchain :)

http://en.tsukaeru.net/smb/vps/option/

The only VPS company I ever trusted. Back in the day - they'd do a FreeBSD VPS even though it's not listed on their site. A few years ago, the problem for most people was that it really helped to know Japanese to navigate their stuff. It's been awhile, but now their web pages are more english-readable, so I'd bet the control panels, etc are also.

It may not the quickest net transit for US folks, but depending upon what the target area is, and the usage is, it may be. Japan has lowest latency in Asia (and probably world).

Looking for new VPS provider with 1Tb/mo minimum.
I'm personally quite fond of TransIP. Their basic model has 1 core, 1GB RAM, 50GB SSD storage and a 1TB/month datalimit for 10 euro/month. My VPS has 2 cores, 4GB, 150GB SSD and 5TB/month for 20,-.

I'm testing https://www.arubacloud.com now. VPS is hosted on vmware, which is rather unusual. E5-2650L v4 core, 1Gb memory, 20Gb disk, 2Tb/mo, 1Eur/mo. DC location is Italy.
They provide rather outdated FreeBSD 10.3 ZFS installation with bunch of ports (140 or 240 - don't remember, I dropped them ASAP, with /usr/local). Some configs are modified and no src provided.
Installed src from official tars, updated to 11.1, resolved configs diff to default.
Hardware aes is exposed, which is good for VPN. I've got full speed download and upload (I'm limited to 100Mbt) with ipsec.

I think I'm missing something, they won't earn money with config provided for 1 euro.

BTW, I believe, Italy is not net neutral country, right? I remember I read about anti-piracy initiative in 2011...

I'm a big fan of Ramnode. Highly recommended, and not expensive.

They offer FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD images in addition to the standard array of Linux images you see at every VPS offering. Just make sure you're looking at their KVM plans.

It's been a while since I posted that, I have since had a VPS with them for quite a while and was really happy with them. I only switched to TransIP because I had other stuff running there to, it made more sense to consolidate everything to one provider. But for as long as I had the VPS with Tilaa I had very little issues and their support was quite good.

Does anyone have experience with Mythic Beasts? Currently looking around for a FreeBSD powered VPS and I like the idea of being able to upload your own ISO images which you can then use to install your VPS.

Back