FreeBSD 14: no gnome3 and Firefox?

hi,
I've installed freeBSD 14 current in a virtual machine Parallels in my MacBook M1 pro (Silicon, ARM).
Mostly ok (mate + slim) a part of resolution stuck to 1028x768 (how to increase? here it need a virtue-gpu driver) and a fundamental problem with mouse in GUI (stuck) solved putting "ums_load="YES"" in /boot/loader.conf.

There are no gnome3 (so I'm using mate) and no Firefox, Chrome or other good browsers in repos.
No usable browsers: konqueror starts and soon closes, web (gnome) gives message "there will be a problem" for almost every page...

Is normal so?
Any hints?

thank you,
Salvo

Current release doesn't have pkg repository as it's for developing only/testing new features and everything is build via ports (from source) with high probability of not working at all. That's the reason that the topics in this forum about not supported releases are forbidden.

Firefox works just fine on FreeBSD-14 Current but you need to build it via ports.

If you look at www/firefox, you can see that there isn't a package for ARM on 14-CURRENT. It's only for amd64, i386 and powerpc64.

FreeBSD:14:aarch64--
FreeBSD:14:amd6497.0_1,2-
FreeBSD:14:armv6--
FreeBSD:14:armv7--
FreeBSD:14:i38697.0_1,2-
FreeBSD:14:mips--
FreeBSD:14:mips64--
FreeBSD:14:powerpc6487.0_3,2-

If you look at www/firefox, you can see that there isn't a package for ARM on 14-CURRENT. It's only for amd64, i386 and powerpc64.
ok, but in M1 I can only install an ARM 64 (aarch64) release. In another MacBook (Intel) I installed freeBSD 13 AMD 64 (and there there is Firefox)...
Here I've only Epiphany web for now unusable...

Why do you want to use a development version of FreeBSD anyway? Why not just install a supported version?
Simply because FreeBSD 13 on Parallels in M1 (ARM) at the moment I think it have problems due to some system bugs that I don't know: I tried to install it with the "other systems" option (not Linux), in this case it installs but does not goes to the network; then I tried with the "linux" option and in this case it goes into a loop at the installation and restarts after few seconds...

FreeBSD 14 installs without difficulty, even if it then has these drawbacks.
See here

Yes, of course, but rightly in the tutorial they talk about FreeBSD 13 AMD that myself have already configured on an Intel MacBook, where it's very fine.
However, this installation cannot run on a MacBook M1 because it has a different architecture, ARM.

So I was forced to recreate another virtual machine for ARM, finding the difficulties we are talking about.

I think trying to get it to work on FreeBSD 14 may be of more value on the mailing lists.

edit: (or on any FreeBSD version)

Eventually I tried the 13 Stable and it works well, the network also works (vtnet0 from virtio isn't seen at all in the 13 Current).
I installed the GUI (Gnome3 + GDM) but when it goes to login again the message "something has gone wrong" comes out in a white page and I cannot enter the desktop. What to do? Is Gnome so buggy? :)

Back