FreeBSD 12.2 missing xorg qxl video driver

Hi FreeBSDers,

I have noticed that FreeBSD 12.2 no longer appear to have xorg qxl video driver which was needed to run FreeBSD Desktop on QEMU / KVM.

Was this a deliberate omission ?

I initially did a pkg install of X11 & Gnome but X11 fails to start and qxl video driver is not found.

So I did ports fetch / extract and the driver is now not even in the ports collection.

What is needed to get it back ?

In mean time I will see if 11.4 has the same issue.

Cheers from Oz,

Zebity

Thanks SirDice,

can you advise how this can be addressed.

Would dependency have to be address via upstream or is it specific to FreeBSD port ?

Thank you.

Zebity

Hi SirDice,

thanks again for response.

i have also noticed that the gnome3 desktop (in full and light guise) are also no longer available as compiled packages.

Is this again a deliberate choice ?

I checked on FreshPorts and it still has then listed as available (Ie. not deprecated).

cheer from Oz,

Zebity.

Hi SirDice,

I tried a source build from 11.4 ports tree but this failed.

So I did source build from: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-qxl on FreeBSD 12.2

With the following pkgs installed: git, autoconf, automake, xorg-macros, m4, pkgconf, libtool, python37
+ evdev & utouch (for QEMU EvTouch USB Tablet)

This built and installed without a hitch (just run the configure script, make & make install)

With a small update to /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d X11 I was once more able to get FreeBSD X11 working on KVM / QEMU (currently without gdm or gnome desktop)

So no change was required to upstream.

Wondering if can get pkg fixed as it is still missing gdm / gnome stuff with 11.4 and the qxl driver for 12.2

Cheers from Oz,

Zebity

i have also noticed that the gnome3 desktop (in full and light guise) are also no longer available as compiled packages.
There may have been build failures with dependencies. You can check the status of the build clusters here: https://pkg-status.freebsd.org/builds?type=package

Wondering if can get pkg fixed
Don't focus on the packages, all packages require a port. Get the port fixed and the package will automatically follow. Anyone can submit PRs, preferably with patches but that's not mandatory. You only need to register an account with the bugtracker. In this case open a PR to get the port reinstated.

it is still missing gdm / gnome stuff with 11.4 and the qxl driver for 12.2
There is only one ports tree, it's used for all versions of FreeBSD. We don't have this kind of version differences of software as is common with a lot of Linux distributions.

Hi SirDice,

I completed testing of x11-drivers/xf86-video-qxl including building from upstream source and via old port tree "2020Q3".

The "deprecation" seemed to have been very pre-emptive as fixing the port is trivial:

$ git diff Makefile
diff --git a/x11-drivers/xf86-video-qxl/Makefile b/x11-drivers/xf86-video-qxl/Makefile
index fb265dd39d71..42cb413cebf7 100644
--- a/x11-drivers/xf86-video-qxl/Makefile
+++ b/x11-drivers/xf86-video-qxl/Makefile
@@ -17,7 +17,7 @@ BUILD_DEPENDS= spice-protocol>=0.12.10:devel/spice-protocol \
${LOCALBASE}/include/linux/input.h:devel/evdev-proto
LIB_DEPENDS= libspice-server.so:devel/libspice-server

-USES= localbase:ldflags pkgconfig python:3.7 shebangfix xorg \
+USES= localbase:ldflags pkgconfig python shebangfix xorg \
xorg-cat:driver
USE_XORG= xfont

However the process of restoring it seems convoluted.

Seems that the x11 tree is accumulating a large back log of issues, is there still a maintainer for this ?

I ask as, having found how to fix the qxl problem I have now been hit with this one: https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=256454

But this is seperate from the qxl depracation...

Thank you.

Zebity.

Last edited:
SirDice and zebity

This worked with a FreeBSD 13.1 install on KVM with a Dell R620 with a Zotac 25w video card host running debian 11.6.
When reading how to do the install I wondered what changes exactly zebity made.

One peculiar thing I noticed is with other VM's I can freely move between the VM window and my regular desktop but with FreeBSD it captures the mouse and you need to hit Ctrl-Alt to move the mouse out of the VM window. I disabled moused in /etc/rc .conf
moused_enable="NO" # Treat non-default mice as enabled unless
moused_nondefault_enable="NO" # Treat non-default mice as enabled unless

VM driver installation and configuration
pkg update && pkg upgrade
pkg install nano xinit git autoconf automake xorg-macros m4 pkgconf libtool python

I was not able to use git fetch for some reason so downloaded and extracted the tar.gz file.
tar xfzv xf86-video-qxl-master.tar.gz
cd xf86-video-qxl-master
./autogen.sh
make
make install
<reboot>

I didn't seem to be able to get it working at first so after fiddling found the following works.
Xorg -configure

I tested with
X -config xorg.conf.new

Which gave me a black screen but didn't crash so copied the config to /etc/X11
cp xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Testing with startx brought X with twm and a few xterm windows but running xrandr crashed X
startx

The host is a Dell R620 with a 25 watt Zotac card, the only card that seems to work withthe R620 albeit with a bowed BUT successfully latched case.
I used xrandr on the host to get some possible resolutions and edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf
nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

The driver showed up in the Device Section as Driver "qxl"
The Display SubSections should look as below, note the first Mode will be the Modes is default on startup.
I used slightly lower for default for testing since I am not able to resize with xrandr and not sure of the behavior once i have a wm working.
I added the Mode lines to all of the color depth SubSections, here are some of them.
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 15
Modes "1600x900" "1920x1080" "1440x900" "1280x800" "1024x768"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 16
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection

This all seemed to work at the specified resolution so continued with install and configuration of lightdm and xfce

Sorry forgot to add during autogen.sh there was an error which can be fixed by running.
pkg install spice-protocol

Back