FreeBSD 12.2 missing xorg qxl video driver

zebity

Hi FreeBSDers,

I have noticed that FreeBSD 12.2 no longer appear to have xorg qxl video driver which was needed to run FreeBSD Desktop on QEMU / KVM.

Was this a deliberate omission ?

I initially did a pkg install of X11 & Gnome but X11 fails to start and qxl video driver is not found.

So I did ports fetch / extract and the driver is now not even in the ports collection.

What is needed to get it back ?

In mean time I will see if 11.4 has the same issue.

Cheers from Oz,

Zebity

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Has nothing to do with the version of FreeBSD, all versions use one and the same ports tree.

x11-drivers/xf86-video-qxl was removed because it depended on a deprecated Python version.

OP
Z

zebity

Thanks SirDice,

can you advise how this can be addressed.

Would dependency have to be address via upstream or is it specific to FreeBSD port ?

Thank you.

Zebity

OP
Z

zebity

Hi SirDice,

thanks again for response.

i have also noticed that the gnome3 desktop (in full and light guise) are also no longer available as compiled packages.

Is this again a deliberate choice ?

I checked on FreshPorts and it still has then listed as available (Ie. not deprecated).

cheer from Oz,

Zebity.

OP
Z

zebity

Hi SirDice,

I tried a source build from 11.4 ports tree but this failed.

So I did source build from: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-qxl on FreeBSD 12.2

With the following pkgs installed: git, autoconf, automake, xorg-macros, m4, pkgconf, libtool, python37
+ evdev & utouch (for QEMU EvTouch USB Tablet)

This built and installed without a hitch (just run the configure script, make & make install)

With a small update to /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d X11 I was once more able to get FreeBSD X11 working on KVM / QEMU (currently without gdm or gnome desktop)

So no change was required to upstream.

Wondering if can get pkg fixed as it is still missing gdm / gnome stuff with 11.4 and the qxl driver for 12.2

Cheers from Oz,

Zebity

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

i have also noticed that the gnome3 desktop (in full and light guise) are also no longer available as compiled packages.
There may have been build failures with dependencies. You can check the status of the build clusters here: https://pkg-status.freebsd.org/builds?type=package

Wondering if can get pkg fixed
Don't focus on the packages, all packages require a port. Get the port fixed and the package will automatically follow. Anyone can submit PRs, preferably with patches but that's not mandatory. You only need to register an account with the bugtracker. In this case open a PR to get the port reinstated.

it is still missing gdm / gnome stuff with 11.4 and the qxl driver for 12.2
There is only one ports tree, it's used for all versions of FreeBSD. We don't have this kind of version differences of software as is common with a lot of Linux distributions.