First person shooter games

I used to play Q2Lithium. They shut down server after server and then you ended up playing against #1..5 of the world best players. Not my idea of relaxing after work.

I used to play Q2Lithium. They shut down server after server and then you ended up playing against #1..5 of the world best players. Not my idea of relaxing after work.
I was never very good, and age and beer have slowed me down severely. I'll be cannon fodder.

I suggest games/openarena, but unfortunately I have long-term problem with it: Autodownloading failure in OpenArena.

That games code is in such a mess unfortunately, I've been trying to get it built with my mingw environment for Windows just for kicks and the codebase is so old it's not even funny; decade old curl, clearly wrong bundlled sdl libs to name a couple of glaring issues. They should have kept a minimal patchset on top of ioquake3 and kept it rebased/updated but instead it has sat stale with a few random changes and it shows.

Have you tried the source from the game's Github repo? It has some recent commits:

Also, the main author's personal site has some recent Windows nightly builds:
Long story short, he's using an old i686 toolchain, the code has errors due to outdated windows functions which I fixed but ended up down another rabbit hole and decided F-it and started to look at what changes I would need to run baseoa under ioquake3, whilst looking about it seems someone is way ahead of me and has an up-to-date ioquake3 fork that is specifically for running OpenArena, I've tested it and it works well.

Give this a try: https://github.com/OpenArena-Ioq3/openarena-ioq3
I was able to play online and download maps once enabling autodownload in the settings (/cl_allowDownload 1)

Edit to add: Disable renderer2 option in Makefile.OpenArena - the ioq3 OpenGL2 renderer is incredibly slow and buggy and catches many people out.

Give this a try: https://github.com/OpenArena-Ioq3/openarena-ioq3
I was able to play online and download maps once enabling autodownload in the settings (/cl_allowDownload 1)
It seems the autodownloading probles is solved.

I played Ashes 2063 a little while ago and was surprised by how good it was. I think it's the best gzdoom mod out there. First episode is good, the second one is better (and much larger). It works just fine on FreeBSD with the gzdoom port (I didn't even use the gzdoom.ini the game ships with (because I wanted to keep some settings), just merge a few keybindings and it's good to go).

Apologies for spam but I've managed to get OpenArena running under the Quake3e client, just played a few test games online using Vulkan renderer and bloom enabled for some interesting effects. Admittedly this is on Windows since my server isn't very good for playing games.

shot-20220904-200035.jpgshot-20220904-203536.jpgshot-20220904-204440.jpgshot-20220904-204530.jpg

Truth be told I've not touched Open Arena since probably 2007 and I'm pleasantly surprised just how much better it is in terms of maps/design than Quake3. It's a shame there's nobody really playing it!

I was never very good, and age and beer have slowed me down severely. I'll be cannon fodder.
At least you knew that from the beginning. I thought I was good at Quake. Back at uni I joined the online game for the first time. Boy was I surprised what good actually means. :)
I sucked so hard it was not even funny.

It's a shame there's nobody really playing it!
I guess one of the reasons why Open Arena (and not just only Open Arena) have a shortage of players now is because the old games are too hard for today's players. They lack many features of modern games such as a support of computer followers, infinite energy, autosave checkpoints, linear gameplay, possibility to skip the hard parts of the game, tutorials and hints everywhere, and last but not least, an 80% timeplay filled with blockbuster video scenes.

The second reason was the release of QuakeLive for Linux. Many players left OpenArena to QuakeLive.

I guess one of the reasons why Open Arena (and not just only Open Arena) have a shortage of players now is because the old games are too hard for today's players. They lack many features of modern games such as a support of computer followers, infinite energy, autosave checkpoints, linear gameplay, possibility to skip the hard parts of the game, tutorials and hints everywhere, and last but not least, an 80% timeplay filled with blockbuster video scenes.

The second reason was the release of QuakeLive for Linux. Many players left OpenArena to QuakeLive.

for my is backwards..I cannot play new fps games because they force the use of the mouse for the
player look right and left....I want to use the arrows keys for up,down,left and right..simple as that

for my is backwards..I cannot play new fps games because they force the use of the mouse for the
player look right and left....I want to use the arrows keys for up,down,left and right..simple as that
Pre-WASD and mouse look is old-skool indeed. Back from the time when not everyone had a mouse. Tip o' the cap to you, sir.

I tried to play Hexen recently and could not get used to that ancient controls layout.

In some ways it would be quite a good niche to release an FPS that has no mouse support by design for people who prefer the classic DOS era controls and yet don't want to be at a disadvantage.

Perhaps some of the older "BUILD" engine games (Blood, Duke3D) have online-multiplayer communities.

Hm. Yes, the original Duke3D (so, probably other BUILD games as well) defaulted to keyboard-only control. But even the original version already had an option for "mouse look". IIRC, with eduke32, mouse control is the default.

Using the mouse, you're both quicker and more precise than you could ever be on keyboard only. So I guess you'd always have a severe disadvantage in online games.

Back