Solved Autodownloading failure in OpenArena

I have a problem with the autodownloading of maps in OpenArena (games/openarena). The map is downloading normally, but at the end of the download it crashes with an error message:
Code:
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
-----------------------
(unknown): Not allowed to manipulate '/home/xxx//.openarena/CTF/zzzz-failmod-aea-vm.pk3' due to pk3 extension
sh: zenity: not found
total 0, hsize 1021, zero 1021, min 0, max 0
total 3810, hsize 1021, zero 67, min 0, max 15
Could someone help me?

The x11/zenity is not problem. It's only for convenient displaying of messages. I tested it just to be sure.

I've investigated that the map is downloaded to file with tmp extension, eg. /home/xxx//.openarena/CTF/zzzz-failmod-aea-vm.pk3.tmp, but it stops there and doesn't rename.

I don't use that. I just play by myself with the bots.
I do enjoy the fluidity.

I really think you have a permissions problem:
(unknown): Not allowed to manipulate '/home/xxx//.openarena/CTF/zzzz-failmod-aea-vm.pk3' due to pk3 extension
(unknown) being the user.
Just a stab in the dark. Maybe the extractor needs permissions.

I just realized why I don't play OpenArena Online.
I must punch a hole in the firewall for MultiPlayer..
So Single Player Only for me.

What happens if you just delete that /home/xxx//.openarena/CTF/zzzz-failmod-aea-vm.pk3 file?

I really think you have a permissions problem:
(unknown) being the user.
Just a stab in the dark. Maybe the extractor needs permissions.
I chmod -R 777 ~/.openarena, but the result is the same. I tried it run under root, but the result is the same.

What happens if you just delete that /home/xxx//.openarena/CTF/zzzz-failmod-aea-vm.pk3 file?
It did the same thing. It downloaded the file and then crashed at the same state like before.

I found this web (search string "not allowed") https://reviews.freebsd.org/D10176?id=28297. But it doesn't get me any clue.

I chmod -R 777 ~/.openarena, but the result is the same.
It's probably not a permission issue, you would have gotten an "access denied" or similar kind of error if that was the case. It specifically states it can't 'manipulate' the file because it's in the PK3 format. Which suggests it's not able to unpack it, modify some files in the archive and repack it again.

If I understood things correctly it should only download mods and maps if they don't exist yet. The file already exists so why is it downloading the mod in the first place? Maybe there's a difference in the mod file you have and the mod that's on the server (which is being pushed to your client).

the map is downloaded to file with tmp extension, eg. /home/xxx//.openarena/CTF/zzzz-failmod-aea-vm.pk3.tmp, but it stops there and doesn't rename.
What happens if you try and manually extract from the pk3.tmp file?

Just like covacat mentioned.

Change .pk3 to .zip and you can extract it just like any other zip.

The downloaded file is error free. After manually renaming the file from .tmp to .pk3, OpenArena continues to download the next file and crashes again.

Code:
files/patch-code_qcommon_files.c
+       FS_CheckFilenameIsMutable( to_ospath, __func__ );
+
+       if ( safe ) {
+               FS_CheckFilenameIsMutable( to_ospath, __func__ );
+       }

first line looks bad and should probably be removed
that prevents the .tmp to be renamed to .pk3

If I understood things correctly it should only download mods and maps if they don't exist yet. The file already exists so why is it downloading the mod in the first place?
It's a new file, so it's being downloaded from the server.

Code:
+
+       if ( safe ) {
+       }

I sent a email to the author of the commit. So I hope, he will help us.

Code:
+
+       if ( safe ) {
+       }

I tested OpenArena with the line removed and the autodownloading works now.

Time for a freebsd fragfest?

I still can't get through my firewall.
Opened UDP 27950,27960 but no luck connecting to list server.

What network ports should I open?

Back