First person shooter games

Return to Castle Wolfenstein is a good single player one
World of Padman is fun for multiplayer

Both are open-source. Some self-assembly may be required but both are based on the Quake III engine so getting them to work is fairly straight forward and consistent with the existing Q3 port.

Half-Life is fun. Just finished playing through the Opposing Force expansion. Annoyingly I still can't find a legitimate way to provide the Blue Shift game data.

Platform? Emulated? Popular or Top Ranking? Online Multiplayer or Classic? It's a whole world, if you only limit to FreeBSD the options will be the existing ones.

Massive Quake fan, have a QuakeWorld server running on my VPS. But this is more geared towards online multiplayer. The single player campaign is fun if you've never played Quake before.

Half-Life is fun.
Half-life is awesome. Still one of the best single player campaigns, even 20+ years later.

Tried games/alienarena a long time ago, looks good, plays great. Don't know what the current state is though but it's definitely worth checking out.

Massive Quake fan, have a QuakeWorld server running on my VPS. But this is more geared towards online multiplayer. The single player campaign is fun if you've never played Quake before.

Half-life is awesome. Still one of the best single player campaigns, even 20+ years later.

Tried games/alienarena a long time ago, looks good, plays great. Don't know what the current state is though but it's definitely worth checking out.
The Bethesda "remaster" have good addons (I should probably rip that apart soon), there's an entire new campaign that is quite long and fun.
Your server is just QW or you have a coop too? Coop in nightmare is funny.

Currently only deathmatch, I did add the KTX server mod. But I had the original Team Fortress running on it too at some point.
Didn't know about the KTX (I will save it for later). One that I've used to love since the 90's for deathmatch was runequake.

I found a few but did not tested them yet,
Code:
games/doom-wolfendoom
games/tesseract
games/nexuiz
games/assaultcube
games/sauerbraten
games/xonotic
games/ezquake
games/alienarena
games/openarena
games/ioquake3
games/quake3-data
games/yquake2
games/quake2-data
games/gzdoom
games/doomsday
games/doomlegacy
games/doom-freedoom
games/crispy-doom
games/chocolate-doom
games/doom-data

sauer_client returns,
Code:
Using home directory: /home/x/.sauerbraten/
init: sdl
Unable to initialize SDL: Failed loading libsndio.so.7.1: Shared object "libsndio.so.7.1" not found, required by "sauer_client"
My libsndio is version /usr/local/lib/libsndio.so.7.2

games/alienarena is very good, but ports version is outdated. The new version AlienArena (Gen 3) is on Steam.
Perhaps there is an option to compiling Gen3 from sources. I haven't tried it.

I suggest games/openarena, but unfortunately I have long-term problem with it:

games/xonotic is good too. Its minstagib is very fast.

Last edited:
I'm getting old, only playing such games like maybe twice a year. And I guess my choice of games matches:
  • Good old Duke Nukem 3D. Available in games/eduke32 (and I once added an option to this port to allow directly bundling the original game files).
  • Almost as old Half-Life. Used wine a lot to play it, works fine. But some time ago, kpedersen came up with openhl to run it natively. If you prefer a port, I'd have games/openhl unofficialy in my custom ports tree.

I still play Quake 2/3 single player every now and then using yquake and quake3e clients. You need the game assets for these but they can be found on the internet archive for historical purposes or if you have lost your original CD which is easily done over two decades.

Wolfenstein Enemy Territory via ETLegacy - I play this every night on TeamMuppet or ETc (I am clan member there for 10+ years) servers.

Urban Terror, I mainly only do jumping since 2006 - I own the MikuFanboy Classic Icyjumps Server.

Also play Xonotic every now and then, I'm not very good but the vehicle ctf servers are a lot of fun/carnage.

All of the Unreal Engine games that I can think of (Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Deus Ex) run well in Wine. UT's Direct3D renderer might a bit troublesome, never noticed any issues with Deus Ex. Unreal 2, UT 2004 and Invisible War also run very well. Unreal Engine 3 games usually work as well — I managed to run Alpha Protocol, Bioshock 1/2/Infinite and Borderlands 1/2, but not the Steam version of UT 3 due to some DRM issue. There is also a game breaking sound bug with Bulletstorm FCE (yet another UE 3 game), which thankfully doesn't seem to affect anything else.

Edit: Bioshock 1 and 2 seem to use UE2.

What do you mean by 'Revision'?
Deus Ex: Revision is a community-made overhaul of the 2000 classic. It features new environments, new music, and new world-building detail. It also bundles in some of the best modifications that the fanbase has made over the years, including Direct3D 9 rendering, high-resolution textures, high-detail 3D models, and alternative gameplay modes.

Back