First person shooter games

I know a blind developer who once told me he was playing quake. Strangely, there is a quake engine with audio output...

Hm. Yes, the original Duke3D (so, probably other BUILD games as well) defaulted to keyboard-only control. But even the original version already had an option for "mouse look".
True but it didn't do much up and down (other than making you feel queasy). Your bullets were basically infinite in height planes.

I do agree though that the mouse is very effective. I actually find it makes the single-player Quake too easy.

I know a blind developer who once told me he was playing quake. Strangely, there is a quake engine with audio output...
Oh, interesting, I always thought an audio only fps game (i.e using sonar) could be oddly good fun once you get used to it.

sidetone kpedersen
What I understood how it works:
-only single player
-one key pauses the game
-looking around gives you audio feedback what is in front of the crosshair (wall/distance/enemy/...)

This makes it more like a turn based dungeon crawler, I fear.

In some ways it would be quite a good niche to release an FPS that has no mouse support by design for people who prefer the classic DOS era controls and yet don't want to be at a disadvantage.

Perhaps some of the older "BUILD" engine games (Blood, Duke3D) have online-multiplayer communities.

I dont say that remove mouse support, but make it optional..not mandatory

xonotic Audio returns:

S_Startup: initializing sound output format: 44100Hz, 16 bit, 2 channels...
Initializing the SDL Audio subsystem failed!
S_Startup: sound output initialization FAILED
S_Startup: SndSys_Init failed.

xonotic Audio returns:

S_Startup: initializing sound output format: 44100Hz, 16 bit, 2 channels...
Initializing the SDL Audio subsystem failed!
S_Startup: sound output initialization FAILED
S_Startup: SndSys_Init failed.
If it uses pulseaudio (or alsa) it is somewhere in its dependency chain. Try with make config-recursive in the port tree to see reverse configs.

I can't get past the part with the invisible opponents. :(
This is new to me. I've beaten the Xonotic campaign before and don't remember this part.
Could it be xonotic requires "pulseaudio" which i don't have on my system ?
I didn't need Pulseaudio.

Xonotic has a really fun "Vehicle Warfare" mode you only see in servers.

Back