firefox is not unix, it is something horrible

One of these days I will be mad enough to go ahead and implement a real browser.
Good luck with that... :rolleyes: Falkon keeps crashing, and even Konqueror is out-of-date in making a web site look and act like something useful and compliant with latest standards. Even then, none of these projects is a one-dev show.

The xterm running remote, but displayed local, communicates through X protocol. But how the firefox called in
the remote machine becomes a tab in the local machine?
I don't know about this method.
I use ssh -XY 192.168.1.105 and from this shell I launch firefox.
It does not show up as a Tab in my Host machine Firefox.
It does show the remote computer name in the Window Title dressing.

Mozilla FireFox (on Rock4B)

Yesterday appeared in the address suggestions a link to amazon pinned.

I was not able to delete it nor any other suggestion, schift-del does not work.

I tried then to delete the history, it hang, i killed the process, and got an unusable firefox, lame, I was
not even able to save the bookmarks, but I had an old, not updated backup.

I saved .mozilla/firefox/xyz.default-esr/prefs.js, deleted the whole .mozilla,
started firefox, quit it, and put the file again in that place. That worked before to save the preferences,
but surprise: it does not work anymore.

And then I spent a lot of more time stripping the annoying and danger "features". They are annoying and a
security risk.

I think, it is really necessary to make a process to strip the common browsers from features, to unprogram
the features, to make them more unix.

I managed to avoid windows or Mac in spite of the pressure of the market, but unfortunately I cannot
avoid to use chrome or firefox, I need the web, and all is written for one or two browsers.
They are forcing me to use software of worst quality.

Yesterday appeared in the address suggestions a link to amazon pinned.

I was not able to delete it …

Do you mean the about:newtab page?

Use the menu to unpin or dismiss.

1700973788530.png

UFS or ZFS?

Which version of Firefox or Firefox ESR, exactly?

pkg iinfo firefox

Which version of FreeBSD, exactly?

freebsd-version -kru ; uname -aKU

Packages from quarterly, or latest?

pkg -vv | grep -e url -e enabled -e priority

… software of worst quality.

You have no idea of the processes through which the code is developed and tested before each release.

I tried then to delete the history,

How, exactly?

it hang, i killed the process, and got an unusable firefox, lame, I was not even able to save the bookmarks,

What happened in troubleshoot mode?

1700974329011.png

surprise: it does not work anymore.

What, exactly, does not work?

Not completely. If one opens the link, on the URL field normal appears the clean link to which google
redirects, not a link to a local file, the exception is with links to a pdf file.
I think this can be configured in Firefox. At least in Windows version you can choose whether to download PDF file or open it in browser (its PDF reader). I guess in BSD version the corresponding "embedded" PDF reader needs pdf file and in Windows version the file is loaded in RAM and URL shows original PDF link.

I think this can be configured in Firefox. At least in Windows version you can choose whether to download PDF file or open it in browser (its PDF reader). I guess in BSD version the corresponding "embedded" PDF reader needs pdf file and in Windows version the file is loaded in RAM and URL shows original PDF link.
This was not the problem, but what appears in the URL Bar after following a link to a PDF file.
The problem was that there appeared a link to a local file, not to the original link. But now the
problem disappeared from alone after updating

Do you mean the about:newtab page?

No. I mean the suggestions in the URL Bar.

Which version of Firefox or Firefox ESR, exactly?

firefox-esr-102.10.0,1

You have no idea of the processes through which the code is developed and tested before each release.
I do not need that "idea" to recognize the bloat, the annoying features, the security traps, the latency, the
bad design.

How, exactly?

I tried to delete the history with the menu for that. It was not difficult to find it. But to find how to disable
the annoying features I needed google.

What happened in troubleshoot mode?
I did not know the existence of that, I did not expect that for a piece of software. It is a sign that
it oft does not work.

I did not know the existence of that,

You never noticed the Help menu?

I did not expect that for a piece of software. It is a sign that it oft does not work.

No.

Troubleshooting Mode is intended to help any person who has trouble.

You should understand that some troubles are beyond the control of Mozilla and other developers.

Please visit https://mzl.la/3vUhzHB and read what's there, before anything else. Thanks.

Yes, you're right. I was thinking more about taking the rendering engine of Mozilla and implementing a simple, secure by default and non-leaking browser GUI. It's still a mammoth task, for sure!
Cheers.
Better the rendering engine of Chrome, because it is more popular and more Web-Sites are developed for it.

Yes, you're right. I was thinking more about taking the rendering engine of Mozilla and implementing a simple, secure by default and non-leaking browser GUI. It's still a mammoth task, for sure!
Cheers.
It would take finding others who share that goal, and working as a group. It's possible for anything to be done alone, though, that would be an uphill battle and take a long time. The easiest task, would be forking and stripping Firefox down. For a non-programmer, I once took out dependencies needed for gtk2, so it could be used exclusively with gtk3, but the compile still had parts which asked for those, mostly for icon related stuff. I didn't finish that task.
that does not change the reality: we are dependent on chrome, we are dependent on android.
The benefit of Firefox, and parts of Chrome which are opensource, is they can be forked. It's easier said than done, and usually stops at being a dream. Mozilla provided their own form of Firefox. There's not another big company like Mozilla or Apache taking on a fork. Google took on a task of having their own browser, however, it's aimed for their purposes, rather than Mozilla's or Apache's purposes. One group took a forking task, but they wanted to force use of their own homegrown dependencies, and got into a dispute with OpenBSD over that or some other reason.

It takes a big company or nonprofit with the type of perspective that Mozilla, Apache or The Document Foundation have. There's other companies with a similar perspective about preserving opensource whatever their licensing brand or idealism is, but they're smaller, such as ISC.

I also, but that does not change the reality: we are dependent on chrome, we are dependent on android.
There's gotta be a better way!
There is. Use a regular mobile phone. Use a different web browser. Both are currently very easy to do.

Also, the web has actually stagnated for a couple of years now; using an old browser is very feasible again. When running in a Jail, it is arguably safer too than the approach recommended by Google and friends.

Of course if you want to use Microsoft's or Google's services; *then* you have to play with their toys. But these are also very easy to avoid. Don't take their bait!

There is. Use a regular mobile phone. Use a different web browser. Both are currently very easy to do.

Also, the web has actually stagnated for a couple of years now; using an old browser is very feasible again. When running in a Jail, it is arguably safer too than the approach recommended by Google and friends.

Of course if you want to use Microsoft's or Google's services; *then* you have to play with their toys. But these are also very easy to avoid. Don't take their bait!
Phone: +1
Web browser - that's the point. There is no sensible alternative. I found Epiphany pretty refreshing, but unfortunately it lacks essential configuration options around cookie usage. I would like to allow only very limited amount of sites to use cookies and turn all others off, but the options only allow me to toggle cookies globally.

Apple products are horrible.

It's not black-and-white. For years, Safari was my preferred browser on Mac OS X. tl;dr Apple's wreckage of Safari was the main reason for me abandoning Apple products.

A few hours ago, I wanted a Mac instead of the depressing complexity of bugs affecting FreeBSD.

Back