firefox is not unix, it is something horrible

Do you agree?

If you find with google a pdf file, you cannot get the URL, because it downloads the file and presents a local URL to the downloaded file. In particular, you cannot do a bookmark to the original URL.

Copy with mouse key1 in the results of google and trying to paste with key 2 bring troubles.

It is highly configurable, one can configure a lot of stupidities, but it is from time to time unusable.

Well, a lot of strange things, in some way strange for a unix user with simple X11 with twm.

My browser needs a database?

No, many databases:

Code:
# ll *sqlite*
-rw-r--r--  1 x  x    950272 Jun 14 11:49 content-prefs.sqlite
-rw-r--r--  1 x  x   2097152 Jun 19 20:24 cookies.sqlite
-rw-r--r--  1 x  x    787040 Jun 19 20:50 cookies.sqlite-wal
-rw-r--r--  1 x  x  45514752 Jun 19 19:56 favicons.sqlite
-rw-r--r--  1 x  x   2065928 Jun 19 20:50 favicons.sqlite-wal
-rw-r--r--  1 x  x    851968 Jun 19 20:00 formhistory.sqlite
-rw-r--r--  1 x  x    229376 Jun 19 20:45 permissions.sqlite
-rw-r--r--  1 x  x  36700160 Jun 19 20:45 places.sqlite
-rw-r--r--  1 x  x   4096000 Jun 19 20:50 places.sqlite-wal
-rw-r--r--  1 x  x     65536 Jun 19 18:52 protections.sqlite
-rw-r--r--  1 x  x    274944 Jun 19 15:29 storage.sqlite
-rw-r--r--  1 x  x  67600384 Jun 19 20:50 webappsstore.sqlite

you cannot do a bookmark to the original URL.
And to get the original PDF URL you must scrape it out of the downloaded files box. Copy Download Link.
OOB it is worse with Firefox trying to open pdf instead of save. Got to jiggle the MIME settings.

You use "unix" as an adjective in the title. Can you define it?

And: Firefox has a market share that can be counted on the fingers of one hand, in percent. Where does development funding for it come from? I don't know. Supposedly the development is controlled or organized by the Mozilla Foundation. Their total budget is about $25M per year, but according to their tax return, none of that is spend on software engineering for Firefox (instead it is used for "agenda setting, movement building, and leadership development"). The first $1.5M go into paying executives, plus another executive who gets $2.5M from an "associated for-profit organization". So perhaps Firefox development is all volunteers? In that case, what you describe (which I would call "bugs" or "horrible UI design") are just the state of the art.

I came from Lynx -> ie (couple of months) -> Netscape (several years) -> Opera (few years) -> Firefox (last >20y)
I'm also not really fully satisfied with Firefox. The list why would be long.
Firefox is one of the programs I try not to update as long as possible. (Which new-version-frequency are they at the moment btw? A new version every twelve minutes? 😁There is nothing they may add I wish for, but only high chances that something is worsened or at least my settings are gone - again (I hate that!)

I tried Vivaldi a while, but was also not satisfied.

It's the same I see in several Linux distries: They copy what the knew, and try to make it better.
That's wrong by the idea. There is no need to copy something that's rubbish from the start.
As the world needs no 5th Windows-clone nobody actually needs the 7th ie-clone.
Think it new from the very start!
That would be my advice.

Major point in my eyes:
You may get a buttload of add ons and crap you may add.
But the things I want to have modular, especially to remove them, are built in fixed. Hardly to impossible to change.

Gimme a list of features a software has, and a red marker: You'll be amazed nothing much stay left:
"Don't need this, don't need that, don't want this, must not have that, useless, don't need it, let me alone with that, does this have any useful purpose .... drop, drop, drop, drop... gone, gone, gone...."

Maybe that's modular thing one may define as unix as an adjective, correspodending to unix philosophie.
And my personal philosophy can be fulfilled by Unix-Philosophy:
Only add thing you really need and use.
Or as Einstein put it: As simple as possible, as complex as necassary.
Or as I would say: Instead of drowning an already trashed system with more and more useless crap get ridd off the rubbish! 😁

I checked out, there is a very long list of Webbrowsers, and it's getting bigger.
We are not the only ones dissatisfied. :cool:

So maybe a thread would be useful, to list and discuss which browsers there are, /natively running under FreeBSD, of course, what features ("has an adress bar and speed dials by default"), no-features ("does not include automatic searches in adrees bar", "excludes google"... ) ...

You use "unix" as an adjective in the title. Can you define it?
Profighost answered it. It is the style of unix, bsd, linux, of all that software created for these OS, including X11.
Firefox is a dissonant note there.

So maybe a thread would be useful, to list and discuss which browsers there are, /natively running under FreeBSD, of course, what features ("has an adress bar and speed dials by default"), no-features ("does not include automatic searches in adrees bar", "excludes google"... ) ...

Unfortunately one must use one of the most used browsers, because for that browsers are written the
web pages. But perhaps a derivative that makes it unixer, the same render engine, the same javascript??

I can say "Web browser is something horrible".
No, the www was definitively a good idea, but it degenerated due to many reasons, and it cannot be
substituted with something better, because the decision is made by those that offer web sites, not by
the user of them. It is a case where the market economy does not work, cannot work.

Regarding the links in the google search it's not the Firefox issue it's how google mask the result after first click on the link.

Regarding the links in the google search it's not the Firefox issue it's how google mask the result after first click on the link.
Not completely. If one opens the link, on the URL field normal appears the clean link to which google
redirects, not a link to a local file, the exception is with links to a pdf file.

Mozilla Firefox is about Internet freedom, security, and privacy, not technical excellence. Perhaps it should be discussed if it fulfills what was promised or if there are better options.

Not always but the closed development business model:

At it's core, what is a browsers main job? Render a markup language into something "pretty" for the user.
Just like at it's core email is text.
Both have been corrupted into "more" simply because some wanted something they thought was better.

Go back in time to when most people were still on dialup Internet access. That was rough for browsers because the people creating the content were testing it on corporate LANs running at 100MB so all the autoplay videos, Flash, Shockwave dynamic stuff would cause pages to take minutes to load.

Now all that is automatically supported, often a path for security holes (amazing how many get listed for Chrome/Chromium, Firefox on daily basis), as others have said, all that has become the expectation. We've let ourselves be dumbed down because it's easier.

At it's core, what is a browsers main job? Render a markup language into something "pretty" for the user.
Just like at it's core email is text.
Both have been corrupted into "more" simply because some wanted something they thought was better.

I am delighted to be able to carry out institutional procedures from the comfort of my sofa, without traveling kilometers and waiting in lines of people for hours. You are not?

I am delighted to be able to carry out institutional procedures from the comfort of my sofa, without traveling kilometers and waiting in lines of people for hours. You are not?
Of course I am but I don't have a clue as to how that relates to what you quoted.

Banking application: what is the primary requirement? Allow you to perform banking from the comfort of your sofa, securely. How do you do that? Create markup language forms that are easy to use and secure to allow someone do do what they need like transfer money between accounts, pay bills.
Pretty generic requirements.
Why do people wind up complaining about their bank requiring specific platforms, specific browsers, specific "utilities" like JavaScript in order to use the application?
Do you absolutely need all those things in order to create a functional secure banking application? I'd say probably not.

IMO, it is time for re-organization of the Web and make new browsers fast and light. I don't know how improved is HTML5 and have to see it in details. JavaScript is the other (or the major) problem.

Firefox began as a Windows application (edit: for most users) (Firefox also wasn't called Firefox originally: Phoenix -> Firebird -> Firefox), it was never designed around *nix paradigms. Mozilla have made some dreadful design choices and they are horrendously woke which leads them to focus on anything but software (or reality e.g. what users actually want).

Back