firefox is not unix, it is something horrible

Ironically, this link has to be pasted without after the "?" which is for site tracking.

You can copy a link without site tracking, I assume that it's an enhancement to Firefox:

1702323998819.png

You can copy a link without site tracking, I assume that it's an enhancement to Firefox:

View attachment 17621
Looks like a really nice option to have...

Thing is - it still takes some attention to take advantage of THAT. Either stuff it into a LONG list of things from the right-click menu (as shown in the screenshot), or offer it up as a config item that you gotta know about, and know how to get to that Easter egg... Well, same thing can be said about most of the rest of user-configurable Firefox/Chromium options.

My version does not have this. Assume it is not in ESR, only in newest... Indeed, it seems so.

As far as I know, "copy link" puts the URI into the cutbuffer (from where you then can paste it anywhere; it is plaintext). And as far as I know, the URI contains arbitrary strings (which I create when I design a webpage). So what does "without site tracking" mean?

Also interesting on that page: it states that Firefox does certain things "for all users in Germany". How does Firefox maintain a list of all users and their location? I have never registered my home address with the Mozilla Corp., and I doubt many people do. Furthermore, in X the country where the application binary runs is not necessary the same as the country of the display screen.

"for all users in Germany". How does Firefox maintain a list of all users and their location?

Firefox is calling "home" each time you start it. The rest should be known to any IT-professional. But is it necessary that Mozilla knows? It is sufficient that the browser "knows" from where you are using it for enabling or disabling a feature.

Firefox is calling "home" each time you start it. The rest should be known to any IT-professional. But is it necessary that Mozilla knows? It is sufficient that the browser "knows" from where you are using it for enabling or disabling a feature.
Because, for all I know, the browser cannot reliably know it. Usually, a company with a global network has a gateway to the Internet, that may be whereever they seem fit. If You were an admin of a forum and try to determine from where my requests are coming, You would see either Mexico or California or St.Petersburg.

That is yet another matter. What is this "cookie banner" about? It is a law, by the government, that websites must report to the user that they are using cookies. As we know, practically every functional website needs to use cookies, so this is about the same as having airline passengers acknowledge that they are using wings to fly. This shows the technical competence of our government(s).

But, the government not only has a competence issue, it also has a hate issue: in their immense hate for the people, the governments decided that websites must not only report to the user that they are using cookies, they must furthermore harass the user by forcing them to explicitely acknowledge that use of cookies.

So now, after forcing the websites into great lengths of nonlogical coding to implement that crap, we now need an extra browser tool to remove it again. On other words, as I recently mentioned elsewhere, it is all a closed loop, no further technical or social advance.

it is all a closed loop, no further technical or social advance.
For sure there cannot be any advance if arguing with "hate" and "harassment" of "government(s)". This is not the quality of a text that I like to respond to.
If you so badly need an object to meditate on, why not imagine to send all those nasty advertisers to hell? No advertising -> no tracking -> no reason for GDPR-Banners.

For sure there cannot be any advance if arguing with "hate" and "harassment" of "government(s)". This is not the quality of a text that I like to respond to.
Not sure what problem You have, but in all our research there could not be pinpointed a systemic difference between a government and organized crime.
If you so badly need an object to meditate on, why not imagine to send all those nasty advertisers to hell? No advertising -> no tracking -> no reason for GDPR-Banners.
Sure, but first things first. In contrast to governments, advertisers only want you to buy their crap, they are not destined to take away your most elemental human rights.

But indeed there seems to be a difficulty in understanding. When I happen to talk e.g. about governmental murders, people tend to get aggressive against me, as if it were somehow not allowed to discuss such murders, and they had to be appreciated. (That was actually way back at the time of the grounded greenpeace vessel - at a time when greenpeace could still be taken seriousely.)

Anyway it seems funny to me to have a concerted effort of people complaining about advertisers, while not complaining about being taken away their basic human rights. Kind of a scapegoat scheme, it seems.

instead of the depressing complexity of bugs affecting FreeBSD
I too get the impression we've gained some development speed since 13 that's been unhealthy to the overall system stability. And the underlying issues seem anything but easy to fix. Of course, that's purely subjective and maybe if I invested the time I might realize that I'd actuallybe wrong...

I can however assure you - whenever I'm working on mac OS I'm glad to return back to my FreeBSD workstation, because that Mac you mention is plagued by just as many issues - even though it's all locked in.

Suppose that's a "grass is greener on the other side" for the both of us - just depends on whatever you happen to be working on at the moment.

… How does Firefox maintain a list of all users and their location? …

Firefox does not, neither does Mozilla.

Big thanks for finding the relevant page:

Maybe in a few days I'll read it and then, if necessary, dig deeper. In the meantime: it's bookmarked, and we have things such as privacy policies.

I too get the impression we've gained some development speed since 13 that's been unhealthy to the overall system stability. And the underlying issues seem anything but easy to fix. Of course, that's purely subjective and …

Hmm. From the date and time of my comment (Tuesday 5th December, afternoon, shortly after office hours): I can guess what was bugging me, it's probably one of the many things that I keep away from The FreeBSD Forums. Keeping the noise down, and all that.

I'll not bring any detail of the bug to a Firefox topic, but I should say:
  • the bug, which has a regressive aspect, is probabably not at the OS level (15.0-CURRENT, I'm totally happy with stability)
  • for me, paces of development of base and the ports collection are not a concern.
HTH

Booring ...
Inhibiting?

Perhaps I don't know my own strength, if you suspect my one-worder has inhibited a conversation that had just about reached stalemate - but yes, I should have inhibited myself, sorry guys.

From the helloSystem thread:

For clarity: none of the links is to discourage discussion here.

Simply, I'm familiar with many discussions there. Please think of the links as orientation.

Graham, I've no issue with links, but links to moderators' forum rules posts may suggest a degree of moderatorship that may be inhibiting to some.

So I guess we should both refrain from directing traffic ...

… rules …

The rules and guidelines (or terms and rules, as they're described in the footer) are required reading.

The footer is probably omnipresent, but overlooked.

Widespread wilful ignorance of the rules might be thought of as easygoing, however wilful ignorance does not necessarily make a better place …

Attachments

• 1702531390458.png
    1702531390458.png
    298.6 KB · Views: 43
The rules and guidelines (or terms and rules, as they're described in the footer) are required reading.

Yes. I've read all of them. Just now refreshed, to see if I could discern what you're referring to in particular. No joy, please be more explicit?

The footer is probably omnipresent, but overlooked.

I'm on a phone and don't see that, and cannot grok what you are trying to convey about it.

Widespread wilful ignorance of the rules might be thought of as easygoing, however wilful ignorance does not necessarily make a better place …

That sounds like you think I was flouting the rules, though earlier you had directed this admonishment at elseone.

You're in the off-topic subforum, so (I guess) there's no harm in discussing deratives, however do please note [FONT=monospace]DutchDaemon[/FONT]'s advice, in particular:

From the rules, ill-quoted:

~~~~~

> Ongoing irrelevant chatter or flaming only detracts from the value of the forums for everyone on it and will not be tolerated. For free-form discussion on no particular topic, the Off-Topic forum is freely available and should be used instead.

~~~~~

The original discussion on helloSystem was in the off-topic forum, and it didn't seem to be seeking advice on any particular problem?

~~~~~

> If you have found a post that you feel is inappropriate or that violates the forum rules, please use the report post function (button). Do not attempt to moderate discussions or correct other users yourself.

~~~~~

And that is what I was alluding to, probably too obtusely. To me some of your posts felt like moderation or correction.

I guess I'm over sensitive, and get lost with one word quotes from considered replies, trying to deduce the underling messages. I'll try harder.

I too get the impression we've gained some development speed since 13 that's been unhealthy to the overall system stability.
While I share this impression others may not. When talking about development being too speedy this points straight to the quality of the process.

And the underlying issues seem anything but easy to fix.
As experience usually is varying, the issues need to be named and discussed.

"grass is greener on the other side"
Nice! A well known evolutionary phenomenon that kept and still keeps sheep walking.

Back