helloSystem !

helloSystem is not Airyx ?

No, the two are comparable to each other. A January 2022 article:

AiryxOS home:

Airyx™ is a new open-source desktop operating system that aims to provide a similar experience and compatibiilty with macOS® on x86-64 sytems. It builds on the solid foundations of FreeBSD, existing open source packages in the same space, and new code to fill the gaps. Airyx aims to feel sleek, stable, familiar and intuitive, handle your daily tasks, and provide as much compatibility as possible with the commercial OS that inspired it. …

And by the way a clone of Mac does exist from a very long time:

Now is:

If the helloSystem and Etoile are heavily based on FreeBSD,is this place the right place to talk about them ?

The FreeBSD Forums is undoubtedly a good place to discuss FreeBSD.

<https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/hellosystem.84492/#post-560745> on page 1 included the link to required reading about derivatives (such as helloSystem).

You're in the off-topic subforum, so (I guess) there's no harm in discussing deratives, however do please note DutchDaemon's advice, in particular:

… answers may not apply to your product at all, …

helloSystem is amongst the more complex derivatives, so, be aware that you'll probably not get the best answers here.

I might be mistaken - I believe that was meant as friendly reminder that this forum is about FreeBSD and that there are places more knowledgeable about helloSystem (i.e. https://github.com/orgs/helloSystem/discussions).

I hadn't realised the discussion had jumped a year then, and another 9 months to now. Up till then it was fairly freeflowing and to me, new and interesting.

One has to be careful about what one says these days, even in off-topic threads.

Sure, this is "off-topic" and it's an interesting topic regardless; there's simply not many experts on it around here if you're asking technical questions.

True. The meta-discussion was more interesting for me, and it had run on for quite a while without inhibition, but we are up to [2598] tonight ...

AFAIK HelloSystem intends to do more than just copying the old Mac eye candy. The Mac always had the menu's on top of the screen, changing with the focus of the window. You alwas had a known interface, because Apple demanded to use the toolbox. Menus, buttons and pointers always were on the same location, looked and behaved exactly the same.

One other thing was the ease of copying programs: you just needed to drag application icon (often a program was just one icon) to a new location or volume. That way you also could make a different set of configs for that same program.

It was advanced in its simplicity for every type of user. And blazingly fast. Compared to Wadnows it was superb, because Wadnows software all looked different en still do. Not even Microsofts own programs are consistent.

IMHO most Window Managers on FreeBSD and Linux do the same nowadays, although with some irritating exceptions. Programs that overrule my default WM are a no go on this box. They are confusing and stack code doing things double.

When helloSystem would develop to a Desktop Environment it would be a big hit!

hadn't realised the discussion had jumped a year
Ha, now that you mention it - I didn't even realize that either.

I didn't mean to derail the conversation; I too find helloSystem quite intriguing and worthwhile. I can only imagine how much work it is to get just the code "on top" of FreeBSD built and maintained.

And I agree with the GUI paradigm statement - one of the core strengths would be to have one approach that works the same way across all apps. That's certainly a drawback in FreeBSD and Linux at the moment. I'm wondering whether that means building "systemd for GUI" in the end?

I didn't mean to derail the conversation; I too find helloSystem quite intriguing and worthwhile. I can only imagine how much work it is to get just the code "on top" of FreeBSD built and maintained.

You weren't playing moderator, and I didn't spot any technical question re helloSystem, so it didn't need management.

And I agree with the GUI paradigm statement - one of the core strengths would be to have one approach that works the same way across all apps.

Well that's ok within a DE environment like e.g. Plasma, as something available rather than enforced, but I can't see that gaining much traction in FreeBSDland as things stand.

That's certainly a drawback in FreeBSD and Linux at the moment. I'm wondering whether that means building "systemd for GUI" in the end?

Quelle horreur! 😈

For me it worth the usage only if I can run the mac os x applications on top of it.

Few such applications will run.

Attachments

• 1702235562862.png
    1702235562862.png
    102.9 KB · Views: 40
I can only imagine how much work it is to get just the code "on top" of FreeBSD built and maintained.

Four picks:

• NB what's not welcome.

… ease of copying programs: you just needed to drag application icon (often a program was just one icon) to a new location or volume. That way you also could make a different set of configs for that same program. …

Disclaimer:
I have not watched the video that was linked from discussion 272.

One has to be careful about what one says these days, even in off-topic threads.

For clarity: none of the links is to discourage discussion here.

Simply, I'm familiar with many discussions there. Please think of the links as orientation.

… I agree with the GUI paradigm statement - one of the core strengths would be to have one approach that works the same way across all apps. That's certainly a drawback in FreeBSD and Linux at the moment. …

Uniformity is a nice wish (I was a great fan of Mac OS X, years ago) however it can never be fully, or satisfyingly, realised if ordinary things such as these are taken into account:
  • keyboard shortcuts
  • integral documentation of keyboard shortcuts
  • external documentation of keyboard shortcuts.
130 comments, including input from Liam Proven (The Register):

Concerning GNUstep:

For those of us who avoid X, alternative views of the relevant tweets (2015, 2020):

By the way, while I am glad the AppImage exists for Linux, I found that Probono does too much assumption that at Apple made sane design choice... I mostly disagree with those assumptions...

Back