Disaster strikes - SeaMonkey removed from ports tree

Hold on, does this mean that oss will not work, which is actually the standard in FreeBSD, while ALSA is actually not of interest here?
I have sound (by audio/alsa-lib port).
Firefox and SeaMonkey do not support OSS directly.
Although, maybe I didn't find this option.
And truss show that Firefox call alsa lib.

How about a amd64 build for testing please.
Tried it on a clean, up to date jail:

Crashes because a executable named "python" is wanted, but only "python3.7" existed. Okay, a simple symlink does the trick.

After that you'll get Pythons "the imp module is deprecated in favour of importlib" error. I'm out, here's someone needed who is used to work with Python.

(SCNR: Why the hell has Python a better reputation than PHP? With PHP I've seen none problem for years, even switching to PHP 8 works out of the box for all my huge applications (and that by having all errors and warnings activated!), but Python always runs into trouble… to me Python is the most incompatible, wonky scripting language.)

Why the hell has Python a better reputation than PHP? With PHP I've seen none problem for years, even switching to PHP 8 works out of the box for all my huge applications (and that by having all errors and warnings activated!), but Python always runs into trouble… to me Python is the most incompatible, wonky scripting language.)
Not that I know much about programming languages, but as much as I understand, PHP requires a webserver?

Not that I know much about programming languages, but as much as I understand, PHP requires a webserver?
You can use it also for shell scripts - even GTK bindings f.e. exist to create GUI applications. It is not limited to webservers, and doesn't require a server at all.

(SCNR: Why the hell has Python a better reputation than PHP?

If you want a honest answer (and a strictly personal viewpoint):

When I tried to do something with PHP, I found it just as chaotic as perl (which I don't like either) - a bunch of stuff thrown onto a pile until all that is required would be present, but with no integral vision.
For instance, I needed some pictures, so I found a piece in there that would handle jpeg, and another piece that would handle gif (I think it was these two) - and the library calls and syntax was all different with both - no clean structure in there whatsoever. These and similar observations led me to the opinion that the main reason why it works at all, is that internal structure gets thown away again after each web request.

With python I never tried to really work - but I wanted to add full GSSAPI/SPNEGO support into pgadmin4, so I had to work thru that source - and I managed to do it, and it was not a bad experience. This leads me to the impression that python is quite a bit better structured - because otherwise it would probably not even be possible to add such a rather delicate functionality into unknown code without having any prior experience with the language.

For my personal taste I would prefer ruby, as there is an integral vision: it is OO to the very core, it is so clear OO that even me as an old-school assembler+C guy find a liking in OO. Whereas I was once forced to do perl with OO in s big project, and that was probably the worst PITA I ever encountered.

Ha, I like it (tried on Win 10 Pro). It handles Yahoo! mail just handsom -- by refusing to load 'the very-very-very latest version' of that 'amazing and most advanced' web-mail and falling back to the older one. The one that actually works fine and doesn't hang the browser. I LOVE that approach. Oh, and it does the same to YouTube!! Firefox, for some reason or other, hangs on that site every other time. Seamonkey doesn't care. Good 👍👍👍!!! My type of browser.

Just confrim, please, does it actually BUILD on 13.0+ using your instructions above?

At the present I see three possible options for continuing with a recent FreeBSD SeaMonkey version:

1. NickKostirya creates a port of a recent version of SeaMonkey.
2. Use NetBSD’s pkgsrc tree as they have a recent version of SeaMonkey (not yet investigated).
3. I have communicated with someone who would create a FreeBSD SeaMonkey port for "$US 120/hour -- and this is, at least, several hours job, depending..."

Opinions?

In the port, [#3] could that person collect by putting where to donate
in the pkg-descr, and then update that file once he/she has been paid enough?

You can count me in for a bounty.
The problem with outsourcing this is updates. Just porting one version is nice but we really need someone capable of updating it too.
So a continual pot might be needed for enticement.

Money can be an uncomfortable topic. I would be willing to pay 60 bucks a year for SeaMonkey port.
Is that too little? Maybe I would pay $60 to get it back and $60 to keep it active. Not every release but some reasonable frequency.

Phishfry, most (all?) MUAs store the mail in a standard format, either maildir or mbox. I'd strongly guess SeaMonkey is no exception here. I.e. you can access your mail with many other MUAs as well. There are several other very good, stable, robust & reliable MUAs available. What's so special about SeaMonkey that you can't exchange it with another tool? EDIT To name a few: ClawsMail, Evolution, Kontact/KMail.

I don't use the mail function. I use claws-mail. I have been using Netscape Navigator since it came out. NCSA Mosaic before that.
I don't like change. Firefox seems to change settings every version. None of them useful to me.
Who in the world would hide the menu by default? Not Me. They have lost their way.
SeaMonkey on the other hand is built by real humans who are volunteers. They use a much saner set of defaults.
Same code base but different implementation.

The cynic in me thinks this:
Firefox exists solely at the behest of Alphabet, purely to stave off anti-trust procedures by the US dept of justice. It therefore does not care about pleasing its users or even considering function above form. It was a real alternative 10 years ago but now is just a horrid mish-mash of poor design, implementation and usability. Oh, and it's slow, bloated and junk.
One day I will tell you how I really think... :sssh:

Back