Disaster strikes - SeaMonkey removed from ports tree

Which ones?
Dillo, edbrowse, netrik, (And opera? Gee I didn't know there was opera. What even is this version? Its last update was 10 months ago) 5 seconds of searching already give you some suspicious software.

Does this mean you're volunteering to maintain that port?
Sorry, I didn't write a single line of code in my life, do I look like a maintainer? It's possible to simply put SeaMonkey back into the ports as unmaintained.

It's so easy to dismiss some software because the frequency of its update cycle may not be on par with that of its major counterparts, but it's not a good reason for deleting it from FreeBSD ports with such explanation, when there's plenty of bizarre old browsers available via the ports - and no one raises a question of their vulnerabilities?

ports-mgmt/portmaster will refuse to build a port when it's marked vulnerable or stop the build when a dependency that comes is marked as such. pkg will install the port even if there are vulnerabilities then # pkg audit -F will flag it the next time you run it. If you choose to run a browser or system with a known vulnerability it's your decision. The port maintainer decided it was not a good one:

Upstream has poor history of delivering security fixes on time.

Dillo, edbrowse, netrik, (And opera? Gee I didn't know there was opera. What even is this version? Its last update was 10 months ago) 5 seconds of searching already give you some suspicious software.

You can tell when a port is marked vulnerable by checking it at freshports.org. None of those are listed as such.

couldn't he just mark it as "unmaintained" and leave it be if he didn't like it anymore?
Then who's going to do the updates when a new version comes out? An unmaintained port is just that, unmaintained. So it will sit there, never getting an update. Eventually build errors will happen or major security issues and the port will be marked as BROKEN or VULNERABLE. If it's in that state long enough it will get removed.

well, I think there are some FreeBSD users who understand how the system and its ports work better than me and who are interested in SeaMonkey, perhaps some of them will eventually add SeaMonkey's newer version to the ports.

I'd use it too if they put it back in the ports tree and it was kept updated for vulnerabilities. I had it on all my laptops for months and it went without one. When they removed it from the ports tree so did I.

I'm more forlorned about the recent loss of XMMS. I had used it since I started using Linux and can find a screenshot from 2002 with it running. It wasn't vulnerable but went without a Maintainer for years and was eventually purged from ports.

Now I use www/firefox-esr and multimedia/audacious and they serve my purpose. It's not like I'm going to stop using FreeBSD because a leaf I love falls from the ports tree.

SeaMonkey 2.49 Ports Build Recipe
======================

1. Install clang 6.0.1 - clang 8.x and 9.x cause it to coredump on startup (I didn't try 7.x given the hours it takes to build clang).

2. Tweak /etc/make.conf by temporarily adding:

Code:
CC=clang60
CXX=clang++60
CPP=clang-cpp60

so that the ports build will use clang6. Note: you will need to comment this out after building so that other ports build with the latest and maybe not so greatest clang version.

2. Tweak /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.gecko.mk, temporarily to comment out the line:

webp_MOZ_OPTIONS= --with-system-webp

otherwise the build fails almost immediately with "unknown option --with-system-webp".

3. Tweak the /usr/ports/www/seamonkey/Makefile thus:

MOZ_OPTIONS+= --enable-application=suite --disable-startupcache

4. make DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=yes

5. It will fail due to an unknown option "-- enable-rust-simd". This is expected. You now need to tweak /usr/ports/www/seamonkey/work/seamonkey-2.49.4/.mozconfig to remove the option ac_add_options --enable-rust-simd

6. make DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=yes and install when finished.

I'd volunteer to maintain it if I knew what I was doing, but I know just enough to be dangerous :)

SeaMonkey 2.49 Ports Build Recipe
======================

1. Install clang 6.0.1 - clang 8.x and 9.x cause it to coredump on startup (I didn't try 7.x given the hours it takes to build clang).

2. Tweak /etc/make.conf by temporarily adding:

Code:
CC=clang60
CXX=clang++60
CPP=clang-cpp60

so that the ports build will use clang6. Note: you will need to comment this out after building so that other ports build with the latest and maybe not so greatest clang version.

2. Tweak /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.gecko.mk, temporarily to comment out the line:

webp_MOZ_OPTIONS= --with-system-webp

otherwise the build fails almost immediately with "unknown option --with-system-webp".

3. Tweak the /usr/ports/www/seamonkey/Makefile thus:

MOZ_OPTIONS+= --enable-application=suite --disable-startupcache

4. make DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=yes

5. It will fail due to an unknown option "-- enable-rust-simd". This is expected. You now need to tweak /usr/ports/www/seamonkey/work/seamonkey-2.49.4/.mozconfig to remove the option ac_add_options --enable-rust-simd

6. make DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=yes and install when finished.

I'd volunteer to maintain it if I knew what I was doing, but I know just enough to be dangerous :)

Thanx for these simple recipe. And i have some little additions:

1. In /etc/make.conf use this options for building www/seamonkey with clang60
Code:
.if ${.CURDIR:M*/www/seamonkey*}
CC=clang60
CXX=clang++60
CPP=clang-cpp60
.endif

2. In www/seamonkey/Makefile unset webp_MOZ_OPTIONS by adding:
Code:
webp_MOZ_OPTIONS=
at the end

3. In /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.gecko.mk, temporarily to comment out the lines:
Code:
. if ${ARCH:Maarch64} || ${MACHINE_CPU:Msse2}
MOZ_OPTIONS+=  --enable-rust-simd
. endi

because the build fails immediately with
Code:
make: "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.gecko.mk" line 284: Malformed conditional (${ARCH:Maarch64} || ${MACHINE_CPU:Msse2})

I still miss seamonkey. So what is the status now? Will it ever come back or not? Could someone who is in charge of this at least please leave an official statement?

I manually downloaded all the txz files from the old repository and pkg add them and then lock the packages.
Here for FreeBSD 12:

Here for FreeBSD 11:

It took quite a while to keep running pkg add to get all the dependency files needed but it was worth it to me.
I thought about scripting it. I did have to force (-f) a few.
I have two different versions of some applications/libraries but I don't care.

Here is an example:
fetch https://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:12:amd64/release_0/All/seamonkey-2.49.4_14.txz
pkg add seamonkey-2,49,4.txz
It will tell you what is missing. For example ffmpeg.
Then download and install all dependencies:
fetch https://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:12:amd64/release_0/All/ffmpeg-4.0.3,1.txz
pkg add ffmpeg-4.0.3,1.txz
Then rerun pkg add to see what more is needed.
pkg add seamonkey-2,49,4.txz

Note the FreeBSD 11 repository has a newer SeaMonkey version than FreeBSD 12 due to date of the repository.

What was the error? Provide the error and I'm sure I can get your source build to be successful.
I went to reproduce it and it built and installed successfully, vs the downloaded package which needs a so.62 where an so.65 is already installed and does not run at first.

nano /etc/libmap.conf editing still allows this build here, recently, to continue working... I hope others in this thread will persist in eventually re adding it to the ports tree?

Back