Change resolution to 1600x1200 on integrated Matrox MGA G200e in D2939 Fujitsu motherboard

Seems like OP is confusing graphics mode and text mode.

Text mode comes first. If you can see the machine's BIOS, then text mode will be visible. It is possible to play with some colors in text mode, but the important part is that it's text. Normally, text mode is 80 characters wide and 23 characters tall. That means you can see at most 23 lines of text.

You can leave it at that, or you can play with colors of text. Oh, and ignore VT-x stuff altogether, it's irrelevant.

To get graphics mode going, it takes starting in text mode. I would suggest that OP install the graphics driver. Going by what was said earlier in the thread, that was done. However, installing the driver is not the same as turning it on. From this point, as I said earlier, doing stuff in order, like 1, 2, 3, done - that will make a difference. So, without further ado:
  1. # pkg install xorg // You gotta be root for that.
  2. # pkg install twm // You gotta be root for that.
  3. # pkg install xdm // Need a login manager for a graphic desktop.
  4. # pkg install nano // Nano is a text editor that works in text mode, you'll need it.
  5. # nano /etc/rc.conf // Add the following lines to /etc/rc.conf:
    1. xdm_enable="YES" //
    2. kld_list="/full/path/to/vesa.ko" // vesa.ko part can be replaced with mga.ko. Full and correct filepath is recommended for your scenario to work.
  6. # reboot
Following these instructions in order should get you to a working XDM login manager, which you use to log in and get to a working TWM desktop.

Once all that is done, then you can play with resolution, and what not. Skipping steps and going straight to the part where you think resolution is specified - that approach has left countless users pretty frustrated with "why isn't this working for me?".

Looking at the link you provided to the PRIMERGY RX300 S7 System Configurator guide, there's an optional "NVIDIA NVS300" graphics card which you don't seem to have, according to your pciconf output.
You are absolutely right: I have no this card whatsoever. This is optional card for this servers line.

This guide also mentions a "S26361-F2748-E637 PY VGA LP card 256MB PCI-e x1" which doesn't seem to show up in your output either.
I also not find any info on Fujitsu web (BTW very bad designed, part of info just absent or hard-to-find). And Googling also not give me more clarity what is this.
Anyway, this "S26361-F2748-E637 PY VGA LP card 256MB PCI-e x1" card mean 256Mb, but Matrox G200e chip that included in Emulex Pilot 3 based iRMC S3 BMC are only 32Gb

Maybe this is another name for the "Matrox MGA G200e" card you do have? I don't know, and it's all very confusing to me, too.
I am on 99,999% sure - no. ;)

This Remote Management Controller User's Guide I found includes a long list of Microsoft, Red Hat, SUSE, and Intel LANDesk operating systems, but doesn't mention FreeBSD as a supported operating system, and leaves me wondering if this iRMC server software has ever been successfully installed on any FreeBSD system. Do you know if it has?

Please take attention to p.71-72
(together with my comments)

The Video Redirection does not support the following display mode:
• The version earlier than iRMC S2
Resolution that exceeds 1024 × 768, and 24-bit/32-bit color mode.
In this server definitely iRMC S3
(with latest fw update successfully of course)

• iRMC S2 or later version
24bit/32bit color mode by resolution of 1280 × 1024 or more.
Resolution that exceeds 1600 × 1200.
Monitor support 1680x1050, 60/75Hz as native, so this is a little bit below this iRMC restriction (no matter iRMC S2 or iRMC S3).

• Using not standard VGA driver
Hm... So which exactly driver Fujitsu mean?

When the Video Redirection is started repeatedly without closing the Web interface of the Remote Management Controller, Java error may occur or the Video Redirection may not make a response. In this case, close all browsers and start the Web interface of the Remote Management Controller again.
When you enable a mouse and a keyboard with the Video Redirection, the server recognizes the mouse and the keyboard as of USB connection. When USB connection is not available (such as no USB driver exists) because of the server settings, you cannot use a mouse and a keyboard with the Video Redirection.
This all about crappy realization of video streaming in iRMC in conjunction with a Java realization in Win ;)
Just ignore this....

Sergei_Shablovsky,​

If I still had the 640x480 resolution working, I'd probably go ahead and attempt to install the server software, just to see if it worked.

If the server software fails to install, you can still recover by doing a quick re-install of whatever FreeBSD version you're using, from a USB installer.

From SirDice example.

set vbe_max_resolution="1280x720"

Rewind, to the opening post:

… FreeBSD 12 / 13 …

– and:

Thanks to Phishfry, ( he running FreeBSD 12.2) is found in /boot/kernel/mga.ko

Compare:
– in particular, <https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/commit/?id=3630506b9daec9167a89bc4525638ea45a00769e> added the vbe framebuffer for BIOS loader. From corresponding <https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-src/commit/3630506b9daec9167a89bc4525638ea45a00769e> we see that the enhancement is in main and release/13.0.0 – not in any inferior version of the operating system.

So:

… and
uname -a
Thanks

Knowing the version will be critical to some of what's discussed. From comments on previous pages, I assume that Sergei_Shablovsky currently runs 12.2-RELEASE.

(I have no experience with Matrox, or things such as the iRMS (built-in server remote management card).)

HTH

The Fujitsu PRIMERGY server motherboard D2939 have integrated video, exactly Matrox MGA G200e. …

It looks like "mga.ko" was provided from deleted port graphics/drm-legacy-kmod

Source mga_drm.h exists in main at <https://github.com/freebsd/drm-kmod/blob/master/include/uapi/drm/mga_drm.h> with G200 et cetera.

I'm out of my depth, but I assume that modesetting(4) applies; <https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=modesetting&sektion=4&manpath=Ports>.

… installing (and configuring properly) the x11-drivers/xf86-video-mga port …

<https://www.freshports.org/x11-drivers/xf86-video-mga/#config> no options to configure, and <https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/tree/x11-drivers/xf86-video-mga> there is no (post-installation) package message. So if this package is appropriate or required, simply install.

Available packages <https://www.freshports.org/x11-drivers/xf86-video-mga/#packages> do include those for FreeBSD:13:amd64. However (again, out of my depth) I don't know whether I'm losing sight of the iRMS remote management aspect.

If I understand correctly, an X.Org driver such as xf86-video-mga can be used without a DRM driver.

Knowing the version will be critical to some of what's discussed. From comments on previous pages, I assume that [FONT=monospace]Sergei_Shablovsky[/FONT] currently runs 12.2-RELEASE.

Sorry, I just hate to be late :)
FreeBSD gate.local.lan 12.3-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 12.3-PRERELEASE devel-12-n226714-653c0e9f345 pfSense amd64

So, where and what exactly I need configure to receive 1024x760 (or more) on my local VGA-screen ?

Usually this is a bare bones VGA with small amount video RAM. Limited capacity.
But for console use it works fine. It's meant for system management not gaming.

SuperMicro uses a similar arrangement with AST2400/2500 video chip tied to BMC.
There is even a xorg driver that works with it.
So it can provide a basic desktop. I suspect the matrox driver could be used for the same.
I just try to running as a little as possible: this is server for hi-load netflow, and I try to minimize unnecessary pressure on hardware.
So I tough from this point of view Xorg is not good solution. Am I wrong?

Glancing trough both it seems more likely though that Fujitsu has an OS-specific driver that can manipulate from "the inside" the resolution of the graphics part of the iRMC. The graphics output can be directed through iRMC or not; set in the BIOS setup utility. With an extra seperate graphics card that last option should be chosen.
I check double twice: in iRMC settings in BIOS no possible to set anything than “Enabled” in “Onboard Video”.
This settings automatically switch to “Disabled” if any discrete video card installed and detected by BIOS during cold boot.

From PRIMERGY RX300 S7 System Configurator:
(page 11):

Graphics Controller integrated in iRMC S3 (integrated Remote Management Controller):
1600x1200x16bpp 60Hz, 1280x1024x16bpp 60Hz, 1024x768x32bpp 75Hz, 800x600x32bpp 85Hz, 640x480x32bpp 85Hz (1280x1024x24bpp 60Hz only possible if local monitor or remote video redirection is off)

PHILIPS monitor that I have connected is 1680x1050, 60Hz native res
So is that mean I have ability to using sc(4) ?

The Matrox MGA module is for X11. It will do nothing for console use.
Consider trying the sc(4) driver.
Sorry my dumb question, what the settings and in which files I need to do in my particular case?

Condensed questions (apologies if I'm overlooking something):

… integrated video, exactly Matrox MGA G200e. …

… PHILIPS monitor that I have connected is 1680x1050, 60Hz native res …

Is output to the Philips display (at the remote location) good enough?

If you disconnect the Philips display, and boot with onboard video enabled (without a discrete graphics card), then does the remote view of the headless computer become easier?

So I tough from this point of view Xorg is not good solution. Am I wrong?
If you want to run an app in graphics (not text) mode, you do need Xorg. The apps you listed earlier only run in graphics mode.

PHILIPS monitor that I have connected is 1680x1050, 60Hz native res. So is that mean I have ability to using sc(4) ?
😩 sc(4)is for text mode. As a reminder - text mode is what you get when you boot a fresh install of FreeBSD for the first time, before you install any packages like editors/nano or x11/xorg. And the Philips monitor you have (I assume it's local, not remote) - it's more than enough to display the command-line interface, a.k.a. text mode.

Is output to the Philips display (at the remote location) good enough?

If you disconnect the Philips display, and boot with onboard video enabled (without a discrete graphics card), then does the remote view of the headless computer become easier?
OP should get Xorg going locally first.

grahamperrin : The remote view of a headless computer shouldn't care if that headless machine has a local monitor attached...

So, where and what exactly I need configure to receive 1024x760 (or more) on my local VGA-screen ?
Assuming that you still have the mga.ko driver, and that it works, put these lines in /boot/loader.conf
Code:
kern.vty=vt
kern.vt.fb.default_mode="1024x768"

... and this line in /etc/rc.conf
Code:
kld_list="mga"

The resolution you specify must be supported by your monitor. Use 1024x768, not 1024x760, which I'm guessing was a typo. Most modern monitors support 1024x768 but I know of no monitor which supports 1024x760.

I don't have a Matrox card, but have tested this using the radeonkms.ko driver on my system, based on Phishfry's previous recommendations in this thread, and it worked.

Assuming that you still have the mga.ko driver, and that it works, put these lines in /boot/loader.conf
Code:
kern.vty=vt
kern.vt.fb.default_mode="1024x768"

... and this line in /etc/rc.conf
Code:
kld_list="mga"

The resolution you specify must be supported by your monitor. Use 1024x768, not 1024x760, which I'm guessing was a typo. Most modern monitors support 1024x768 but I know of no monitor which supports 1024x760.

I don't have a Matrox card, but have tested this using the radeonkms.ko driver on my system, based on Phishfry's previous recommendations in this thread, and it worked.

Thank You for time and passion to help with this “pesky Matrox battle”! ;)

I already try the configuration You write (even try different mode 800x600, 1024x768, 1680x1050, 1600x1200, 1280x1024,...) - no successful result. Sadly...

Thank You for time and passion to help with this “pesky Matrox battle”! ;)

I already try the configuration You write (even try different mode 800x600, 1024x768, 1680x1050, 1600x1200, 1280x1024,...) - no successful result. Sadly...
That would seem to indicate that the mga.ko driver isn't working properly even though you are able to load it according to your kldstat output.

Have you attempted to install the iRMC software yet? Maybe it includes its own drivers for this purpose.

That would seem to indicate that the mga.ko driver isn't working properly even though you are able to load it according to your kldstat output.
I come to the same conclusion.
Especially after see that XDM start in a 640x480 resolution... ;)

Have you attempted to install the iRMC software yet? Maybe it includes its own drivers for this purpose.
Of course, ALL firmware (from official web) for motherboard BIOS, iRMC, RAIDs and discrete/embedded LAN cards updated correctly and checked double twice.

Especially after see that XDM start in a 640x480 resolution...
Congratulations, it looks like you do have the Xorg session finally going. Now, the easiest way to get an application to show up on a remote screen is to allow the SSH server to run on your local machine, and enable X forwarding on both the server and remote client. But that is a different topic, for a different thread. :)

Congratulations, it looks like you do have the Xorg session finally going. Now, the easiest way to get an application to show up on a remote screen is to allow the SSH server to run on your local machine, and enable X forwarding on both the server and remote client. But that is a different topic, for a different thread. :)
But screen looks like unusable - shifted left and bottom and blurred... :(

So I am still not able achieve goal: to start Bpytop on local screen on at 1024x768pix and more.

But screen looks like unusable - shifted left and bottom and blurred... :(

So I am still not able achieve goal: to start Bpytop on local screen on at 1024x768pix and more.
Well, now that you have Xorg going, you can play with the resolution values and the driver being loaded. I'd suggest taking some good notes on what you have, what you changed, and why. If one change didn't work, you gotta be able to change it back to the way it was, scratch your head, and try a different value in the config file. :)

Well, now that you have Xorg going, you can play with the resolution values and the driver being loaded.
So, is the Xorg ONLY ONE possible solution in my case?

I'd suggest taking some good notes on what you have, what you changed, and why. If one change didn't work, you gotta be able to change it back to the way it was, scratch your head, and try a different value in the config file. :)

Thank You for suggestions, my personal experience tech me about making nots for each and everything more than 30y ago. ;)

So, is the Xorg ONLY ONE possible solution in my case?
Looks like that. That Matrox GPU that you have is rather old, and rather rare. It was designed to only provide basic graphics for a server machine. In its heyday (2000-2010), that would have been a nice server-grade GPU that can do a lot. However, the graphics software stack has evolved since then, and requires much more recent hardware to run properly.

These forums have their share of stubborn people who want to run the latest FreeBSD release on outdated hardware, and have that setup do everything under the sun. FreeBSD is not a museum, but forums are a place to help others, get help, and share expertise.

If you want to run something other than Xorg (Like Wayland or Arcan), you'll need different hardware, basically a whole new computer. And you'll be setting the stuff up very differently from Xorg.

Back