Change resolution to 1600x1200 on integrated Matrox MGA G200e in D2939 Fujitsu motherboard

Unload it because it is for Intel Graphics. It could confilct with Matrox and generic DRM driver (KMS)
Thank You!
Done,- not see it by kldstat.

but resolution not changed no to 1024x768, nor 1600x1200

Also I see:

dmesg | grep error

module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (iwi_monitor_fw, 0xffffffff80761ab0, 0) error 1
module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (vesa, 0xffffffff81411210, 0) error 19

dmesg | grep vga

VT(vga): text 80x25
vtvga0: <VT VGA driver> on motherboard
vgapci0: <VGA-compatible display> mem 0xdd000000-0xddffffff,0xde800000-0xde803fff,0xde000000-0xde7fffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci8
vgapci0: Boot video device
vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff pnpid PNP0900 on isa0

iwi_monitor_fw,
That sounds like an Intel Wireless interface firmware. Are you using Intel wifi?

module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (vesa, 0xffffffff81411210, 0) error 19
This one has been around forever. Ususally safe to ignore. But....
VESA does fall into the realm of VGA output on Legacy BIOS FreeBSD.
But if I remember right this was needed for VESA mode X11. Not console use.
Real basic legacy driver for X11 comparible to the generic scfb driver for UEFI Installations.
It can be loaded to solve the error message.

That sounds like an Intel Wireless interface firmware. Are you using Intel wifi?
Definitely no, this is network server.

This one has been around forever. Ususally safe to ignore. But....
VESA does fall into the realm of VGA output on Legacy BIOS FreeBSD.
But if I remember right this was needed for VESA mode X11. Not console use.
Real basic legacy driver for X11 comparible to the generic scfb driver for UEFI Installations.
It can be loaded to solve the error message.
Ok, ignore.

Try these in loader.conf(5):
Code:
screen.textmode="0"
vbe_max_resolution="1920x1080"

Code:
           screen.textmode
                     Value “0” will trigger BIOS loader to switch to use VESA
                     BIOS Extension (VBE) frame buffer mode for console.  The
                     same effect can be achieved by setting
                     vbe_max_resolution.

Value “1” will force BIOS loader to use VGA text mode.

If vbe_max_resolution is not set, the loader will try to
                     set screen resolution based on EDID information.  If EDID
                     is not available, the default resolution is 800x600 (if
                     available).
Code:
           vbe_max_resolution
                     Specify the maximum desired resolution for the EFI or VBE
                     framebuffer console.  The following values are accepted:

Value           Resolution
                     480p            640x480
                     720p            1280x720
                     1080p           1920x1080
                     2160p           3840x2160
                     4k              3840x2160
                     5k              5120x2880
                     WidthxHeight    WidthxHeight

Since your hardware description is vague I looked it up. Fujitsu Primergy RX300 S7 Rack mount server.
Sandy/Ivy Bridge LGA2011 Xeon.

I have one of these Matrox video chips from the same generation; a Tyan S7030 storage server.
The board has no evidence of a Matrox chip. The VGA Chip is embedded within the BMC chip.
Just like the AST2300 on same generation Supermicro boards. The Aspeed BMC chip has video cores embedded.
So the BMC company probably licensed the video core IP. It could just be a shell of its former self.

Since your hardware description is vague I looked it up. Fujitsu Primergy RX300 S7 Rack mount server.
Sandy/Ivy Bridge LGA2011 Xeon.
Better to know all details that You may need from this partners spec: PRIMERGY RX300 S7 System Configurator:

I have one of these Matrox video chips from the same generation; a Tyan S7030 storage server.
The board has no evidence of a Matrox chip. The VGA Chip is embedded within the BMC chip.
Just like the AST2300 on same generation Supermicro boards. The Aspeed BMC chip has video cores embedded.
So the BMC company probably licensed the video core IP. It could just be a shell of its former self.
Thank You for detailed explanation. Very Interesting!

Try these in loader.conf(5):
Code:
screen.textmode="0"
vbe_max_resolution="1920x1080"

Are You sure for 1920x1080 ?

From PRIMERGY RX300 S7 System Configurator:
(page 11):

Graphics Controller integrated in iRMC S3 (integrated Remote Management Controller):
1600x1200x16bpp 60Hz, 1280x1024x16bpp 60Hz, 1024x768x32bpp 75Hz, 800x600x32bpp 85Hz, 640x480x32bpp 85Hz (1280x1024x24bpp 60Hz only possible if local monitor or remote video redirection is off)

PHILIPS monitor that I have connected is 1680x1050, 60Hz native res

Code:
           screen.textmode
                     Value “0” will trigger BIOS loader to switch to use VESA
                     BIOS Extension (VBE) frame buffer mode for console.  The
                     same effect can be achieved by setting
                     vbe_max_resolution.

Value “1” will force BIOS loader to use VGA text mode.

If vbe_max_resolution is not set, the loader will try to
                     set screen resolution based on EDID information.  If EDID
                     is not available, the default resolution is 800x600 (if
                     available).
Code:
           vbe_max_resolution
                     Specify the maximum desired resolution for the EFI or VBE
                     framebuffer console.  The following values are accepted:

Value           Resolution
                     480p            640x480
                     720p            1280x720
                     1080p           1920x1080
                     2160p           3840x2160
                     4k              3840x2160
                     5k              5120x2880
                     WidthxHeight    WidthxHeight

Perhaps these help:
D2939 BIOS Setup Utility for PRIMERGY RX300 S7
PRIMERGY RX300 S7 Server Operating manual

p. 27-Operating manual said:
Remote Management Controller:
Integrated Remote Management Controller
(iRMC S3, 32 MB attached memory incl. graphics
controller), IPMI 2.0 compatible

I'm not familiar with IPMI but, does it offer perhaps some commands that can manipulate the resolution?

Glancing trough both it seems more likely though that Fujitsu has an OS-specific driver that can manipulate from "the inside" the resolution of the graphics part of the iRMC. The graphics output can be directed through iRMC or not; set in the BIOS setup utility. With an extra seperate graphics card that last option should be chosen.

Lets bring all this back to your original thread instead of dragging up an old thread.

To test you could start by adding the resolution you desire to /boot/loader.conf

Code:
kern.vt.fb.default_mode="1024x768"
Already done.

Once you have a drm driver running ...

Is this output from kldstat mean that drm driver loaded successfully?

Id Refs Address Size Name
1 41 0xffffffff80200000 3aee768 kernel
2 1 0xffffffff83cf0000 131f0 mga.ko
3 2 0xffffffff83d04000 21d08 drm.ko

Thank You that take part on this “battle against so pesky Matrox”!
Appreciate You efforts!

I'm not familiar with IPMI but, does it offer perhaps some commands that can manipulate the resolution?
Not sure, but according my experience:
- You May able to choose resolution in Remote Access utility (java-based app) to see actual screen (means VGA console) output in real-time.
(see message above about resolution limitation)
- You may able to Remote boot on Management-LAN (thru connect to iRMC / BMC) from scratch with VGA-console, keyboard, mouse redirection and mounting local-attached media.

Glancing trough both it seems more likely though that Fujitsu has an OS-specific driver that can manipulate from "the inside" the resolution of the graphics part of the iRMC.
The graphics output can be directed through iRMC or not; set in the BIOS setup utility. With an extra seperate graphics card that last option should be chosen.
Khm... I go to read manuals again one time. ;)

But how this may help us so resolve question? ;)

Is this important before or after the

string ?
No I dont think so.
What I would recommend is to use the loader prompt. It is an ideal test facility.
At FreeBSD bootup during Beastie logo use option #3 "Escape to loader prompt".

A good beginner test is boot with more verbosity. So from loader prompt type
boot -v
Hit return key.
This will boot up and give you more boot output.

For changing video output modes loader prompt is useful because it will return a value.

From SirDice example.
To use loader mode you must prefix the command with a action.
screen.textmode="0" in /boot/loader.conf is equal to
set screen.textmode="0" <return key>
So you are setting a loader variable by hand. If it fails here it might give a clue.
Then to complete it.
set vbe_max_resolution="1280x720" <return key>
boot<return key>
This needs to go somewhere. Find out by trying.
set hw.vga.textmode="1” <return key>

This is how you twiddle the loader buttons.

No I dont think so.
What I would recommend is to use the loader prompt. It is an ideal test facility.
At FreeBSD bootup during Beastie logo use option #3 "Escape to loader prompt".

A good beginner test is boot with more verbosity. So from loader prompt type
boot -v
Hit return key.
This will boot up and give you more boot output.

For changing video output modes loader prompt is useful because it will return a value.

From SirDice example.
To use loader mode you must prefix the command with a action.
screen.textmode="0" in /boot/loader.conf is equal to
set screen.textmode="0" <return key>
So you are setting a loader variable by hand. If it fails here it might give a clue.
Then to complete it.
set vbe_max_resolution="1280x720" <return key>
boot<return key>
This needs to go somewhere. Find out by trying.
set hw.vga.textmode="1” <return key>

This is how you twiddle the loader buttons.
May be I doing something wrong, but... the result are still negative...

Are you able to get to Xorg at all? as in, get to the TWM desktop? I think that getting to the desktop comes first, and then you can fiddle with the resolution. In FreeBSD (and Linux, too!) doing things correctly and in correct order makes a difference. If you skip a step, it gets messy in a hurry. 😩

Also I see:
dmesg | grep vga
VT(vga): text 80x25
vtvga0: <VT VGA driver> on motherboard
vgapci0: <VGA-compatible display> mem 0xdd000000-0xddffffff,0xde800000-0xde803fff,0xde000000-0xde7fffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci8
vgapci0: Boot video device
vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff pnpid PNP0900 on isa0

This output you provided shows that you are presently configured in text mode only.

Note the line above that says VT(vga): text 80x25 -- This means 80 character columns x 25 character rows. It tells nothing about graphics screen resolution. Please let me try and answer some of your earlier questions:

Graphics screen resolution is specified in pixels, not characters. For example: 1024x768 (graphics mode, in pixels)

Screen character dimension is specified in characters, not pixels. For example: 80x25 (text mode, in characters)

For comparison, my laptop monitor has a default screen resolution of 1366x768, but my "virtual terminal" (vt) screen character dimensions are the same as yours: 80x24.

For further comparison, here is my VT line from my dmesg output:
dmesg | grep VT
VT(efifb): resolution 1366x768

A FreeBSD system which is capable of graphical output, like my laptop, will be running in text mode on the console (/dev/ttyv0), but will usually display graphics on a different virtual terminal. Typically, graphics are displayed on /dev/ttyv8.

If I press CTRL ALT F1 I see my text console output on /dev/ttyv0.
If I press CTRL ALT F9 I see my graphics output on /dev/ttyv8.

In answer to some more of your earlier questions, after looking at screenshots for SmokePing and BPYTOP, it appears you need graphics mode to display those programs, SmokePing in particular. Looking at the link you provided to the PRIMERGY RX300 S7 System Configurator guide, there's an optional "NVIDIA NVS300" graphics card which you don't seem to have, according to your pciconf output. This guide also mentions a "S26361-F2748-E637 PY VGA LP card 256MB PCI-e x1" which doesn't seem to show up in your output either. Maybe this is another name for the "Matrox MGA G200e" card you do have? I don't know, and it's all very confusing to me, too.

This Remote Management Controller User's Guide I found includes a long list of Microsoft, Red Hat, SUSE, and Intel LANDesk operating systems, but doesn't mention FreeBSD as a supported operating system, and leaves me wondering if this iRMC server software has ever been successfully installed on any FreeBSD system. Do you know if it has?

I agree with astyle that your first order of business should be to get graphics running on this hardware. If you can get that to happen, then maybe SirDice or Phishfry can help you fix your maximum display resolution-- personally, I've never been able to change mine to anything other than 1366x768, so I can't really help you there.

Alternatively, maybe you could get the server running in text mode, and then just use some other computer to remotely manage your remote management controller console. Whatever you try next, you can check the output of dmesg | grep VT to see what your default resolution is going to be-- because, as long it keeps saying VT(vga): text 80x25 I don't think you'll be able to run any graphics programs on your console. I could be wrong-- it wouldn't be the first time. Good luck with it in any case.

One other point: it seems unlikely to me that a nearly obsolete graphics driver like VGA would provide a default resolution higher than 1600x1200, even on a widescreen monitor. But I could be wrong about that too.

Edited to add:
Please provide the output of:
pciconf -lv | grep -A 1 -B 3 display
and
uname -a
Thanks

In answer to some more of your earlier questions, after looking at screenshots for SmokePing and BPYTOP, it appears you need graphics mode to display those programs, SmokePing in particular.
Are You sure about this ?

From my knowledge:
BPUTOP using bash ANSI/VT100 control sequences for symbol's color and formatting.

Smokeping able to be used in 2(two) modes:
- see the reports on generated html page from remote machine (to not running up graphics environment and html page browser directly on a server, to minimize hw resource loading and avoid software conflicts when future updates occur);
- see the reports on local VGA console;

And for both this second mode on local VGA console and for BPYTOP I need exactly to change output resolution on local VGA screen.

Whatever you try next, you can check the output of dmesg | grep VT to see what your default resolution is going to be-- because, as long it keeps saying VT(vga): text 80x25 I don't think you'll be able to run any graphics programs on your console.
Please, look at

VT(vga): resolution 640x480 VT-x: (disabled in BIOS) PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,UG,VPID vtvga0: <VT VGA driver> on motherboard VT-x: (disabled in BIOS) PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,UG,VPID VT(vga): resolution 640x480 VT-x: (disabled in BIOS) PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,UG,VPID vtvga0: <VT VGA driver> on motherboard VT-x: (disabled in BIOS) PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,UG,VPID

Please provide the output of:
pciconf -lv | grep -A 1 -B 3 display
Already done on the start of tread :) Please look at https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...mga-g200e-in-d2939-fujitsu-motherboard.82686/

Please, look at

VT(vga): resolution 640x480 VT-x: (disabled in BIOS) PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,UG,VPID vtvga0: <VT VGA driver> on motherboard VT-x: (disabled in BIOS) PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,UG,VPID VT(vga): resolution 640x480 VT-x: (disabled in BIOS) PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,UG,VPID vtvga0: <VT VGA driver> on motherboard VT-x: (disabled in BIOS) PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,UG,VPID
My thinking is that VT(vga): resolution 640x480 might be adequate for your purposes. 30-40 years ago, 640x480 was often the highest resolution I could get on a lot of the old VGA graphics systems.

If I'm reading them right, the iRMC software requirements only give 1600x1200 as a maximum resolution, and not as a minimum requirement. Also, I'm guessing that something like 1024x768 or 1920x1080 might very likely be the highest resolution you can get with this Matrox card, which is what I think astyle was also saying.

I saw that, but you were grepping for "vga" and I'm suggesting that you might try grepping for "display" in the hope that you might have the optional NVIDIA card. (I'm not sure if it would show up as "vga" because I've never had a system with an NVIDIA card before.) If an NVIDIA card is available, it might offer a higher resolution.

Plus, I would also like to see the output of uname -a because it would show us your FreeBSD version number and other useful info.

Back