[CFT] linux_base-c6 with CentOS 6.5, linux-c6 ports, Skype

Re: [CFT] linux_base-c6 with CentOS 6.5, linux-c6 ports, Sky

This thread is about the linux-c6 ports. Your error message shows that you were installing the wrong ones. See /usr/ports/UPDATING, entry 20140922.

yes of course it does. I installed the c6 base and flashplugin after removing the f10 base and plugin. I also installed nspluginwrapper.

however when I try to play youtube videos I only get a black screen.

As the Firefox user (not root), you must reinstall the plugin:
Code:
$ nspluginwrapper -a -r
$ nspluginwrapper -a -i
$ nspluginwrapper -l
/usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
  Original plugin: /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/symlinks/linux-firefox/libflashplayer.so
  Plugin viewer: /usr/local/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer
  Wrapper version string: 1.4.4-1
/home/wblock/.mozilla/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
  Original plugin: /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/symlinks/linux-firefox/libflashplayer.so
  Plugin viewer: /usr/local/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer
  Wrapper version string: 1.4.4-1

I tried to re-install nspluginwrapper as a normal user but as expected I could not proceed due to permission denied.

However the steps shown above was carried out in the same way.

flashplugin is still not working

It works here. I don't know what else to suggest, other than the basics of checking for missing libraries ( pkg_libchk -qo) and other software conflicts. Make sure that the mounts needed by the Linux environment have been added to /etc/fstab, and that there have not been any misguided optimizations (CFLAGS[/files]) settings added to /etc/make.conf.

The procedure adapted was that of editing /etc/make.conf with the override lines

Code:
OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=c6

OVERRIDE_LINUX_NONBASE_PORT=c6

c6 base port was installed. However when I tried to install c6 Flash plugin error message saying

Code:
FATAL ERROR ENCOUNTERED

The override lines were deleted and c6 flash plugin was successfully installed.

Next when I tried to install nspluginwrapper it was picking up dependencies from f10 ports. Hence again enabled the override lines in make.conf and managed to install nspluginwrapper.

Then the usual nspluginwrapper commands to check the libraries.so are linked was done successfully. But I am not getting Youtube working. The only thing is that now the Youtube does not complain of missing plugin but I am still getting a black screen.

Please make sure you have followed all the steps in /usr/ports/UPDATING entry 20140922.

Thanks @wblock@,

The stepwise procedure in /usr/ports/UPDATING along with minor tweaks aided the c6 to work with nspluginwrapper.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is for 11- branch. Resent port tree contains Skype 4.3 and when I run make install on my 10.2-STABLE I got :
Code:
===>  skype4-4.3.0.37,1 is marked as broken: Skype 4.3 requires Linux 2.6.32 emulation..

Is there any chance to run Skype 4 at 10.2 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is for 11- branch. Resent port tree contains Skype 4.3 and when I run make install on my 10.2-STABLE I got :
===> skype4-4.3.0.37,1 is marked as broken: Skype 4.3 requires Linux 2.6.32 emulation..

Is there any chance to run Skype 4 at 10.2 ?

I'm afraid that is not possible to use Skype4 on FreeBSD 10.2 ATM. You will need to switch from 10.2-RELEASE to 11-CURRENT.

I'm afraid that is not possible to use Skype4 on FreeBSD 10.2 ATM. You will need to switch from 10.2-RELEASE to 11-CURRENT.
It is possible if you have previous version and than install 4.3, delete "skype" from 4.3 and replace with the previous version. I think that is described somewhere in the Forum.
BTW: I use Skype on FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE

It is possible if you have previous version and than install 4.3, delete "skype" from 4.3 and replace with the previous version. I think that is described somewhere in the Forum.
BTW: I use Skype on FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE

Thanks for your feedback, fernandel

If you point out the thread which explains how to use Skype4 on 10.2-RELEASE will be very helpful.

Thanks for your feedback, fernandel

If you point out the thread which explains how to use Skype4 on 10.2-RELEASE will be very helpful.
One page back, "paradox404" post:
I find a workaround. First you need to use this guide. Second thing - use dynamic distribution binary skype 4.3, remove (or move) your ~/.Skype directory and log in into your account with checked box "Automatically login...". Then killall -9 skype and run working previous version 4.2 and have a fun).

And as I wrote before I use Skype all the time.

All instructions reference at the end to xmj@ repository on github that does not exist anymore. That is why I posted to this thread. I will try checkout specific SVN revision where ports contain Skype 4.2 and will try to install it.

Official ports tree has 4.3 as initial version of net-im/skype4. I guess 4.2 has never being merged into. I see that the only way to get Skype working is to update to 11-CURRENT version. At least that should be possible then.

Official ports tree has 4.3 as initial version of net-im/skype4. I guess 4.2 has never being merged into. I see that the only way to get Skype working is to update to 11-CURRENT version. At least that should be possible then.

If you want it I will send you a file "skype" and you should replace version 4.3 in /usr/local/share/skype/ with mine.

If you want it I will send you a file "skype" and you should replace version 4.3 in /usr/local/share/skype/ with mine.

Thank you fernandel, but I think this will not be enough. I can install Skype 2.0 only and changing its binary to 4.3 will hardly work. I have found old Skype 4.2 ports archive and was able to cheat it with *-c6 libraries during compilation instead of *-f10, but during run-time it threw exception regarding *-f10 library conflict. Now I even doubt that *-c6 version of Skype for BSD exists.

BTW, in 11-CURRENT skype didn't work for me "out of the box", that is, with standard installation. I had to add a couple of RPMs (pulseaudio-libs-glib RPM extracted manually + one other linux-c6 port) to the /compat/linux installation manually to make it work.
But then some apps under wine work better in 11-CURRENT, I guess it's due to those additional system calls supported by the 11 kernel.

Back