[CFT] linux_base-c6 with CentOS 6.5, linux-c6 ports, Skype

I've updated the linux_base-c6 port [1] to use CentOS 6.5 binaries, as many people requested
after I got it to use 6.4 in January.

Likewise, I've taken and upgraded all linux-c6 ports mav@ had on his repository. Please test even more! [2]

I used Skype 4.2.0.13 as a test to see if the combined base/ports would indeed work. It runs like a charm :)

Best,
-xmj

--
[1] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/free ... 0001.patch
[2] http://xmj.me/freebsd/linux-ports.txz and http://github.com/xmj/linux-ports/

Re: [CFT] linux_base-c6 with CentOS 6.5, linux-c6 ports, Sky

Actually, I'm getting an error when trying to install skype4.
skype-4.2.0.13.tar.bz2 is not in /usr/ports/distfiles. Either /usr/ports/net-im/skype4/distinfo is out of date or skype-4.2.0.13.tar.bz2 is spelled incorrectly.
This turns out to be because distinfo has 4.2.0.11, using this the newest skype4 port that was provided. I then downloaded the 4.2.0.13 tarball and ran
Code:
make makesum
in /usr/ports/net-im/skype4.

At that point it installed without problem. It still doesn't work properly for me on the machine that I tried it on, but that's another post. If I don't change sound device to OSS, I get no sound, and if I do that, it then dies as soon as I start a call with a message of failed audio capture. I suspect this has more to do with the machine I have, as others have it working well.

I also found that trying to install linux-c6-flashplugin11 failed, with an error that it couldn't open the linux-mplayer-plugin/Makefile.npapi.
At this point, these ports seem incomplete, or at least needing someone with more time and knowledge than myself to test.

scottro said:
https://github.com/cpu82/skype4-ports

The annoying thing is that I found this repo right after I was done with my work. Speaking of which, it is work in progress.

I'll try to get the -c6 ports into the main portstree as soon as I'm done cleaning up the
Mk/bsd.linux-rpm.mk and Mk/bsd.sites.mk files -- an as soon as I've been able to test with both -c6 and -f10 ports,
so as to not break compatibility for existing installs.

http://github.com/xmj/linux-ports/
contains a working version of Fedora 10 and CentOS 6.5 ports - 95 and counting.

You can use them with something like

Code:
OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=c6
OVERRIDE_LINUX_NONBASE_PORTS=c6
#OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=f10
#OVERRIDE_LINUX_NONBASE_PORTS=f10

in /etc/make.conf. Note that the skype4 port contained in the repository will - to my knowledge - only work with CentOS 6.5, as it requires newer Qt libraries. If you know better, fix it and submit a Pull Request.

I finally got a little time to try this tonight. The instructions were good, but a few problems. The skype install gave me a stop error because linux-c6-qt47-x11 didn't have a pkg-descr file. I manually created one, then it installed without problem. However, seems to be missing some linux compat libs. I've got linuxprocfs properly loaded, and the compat/linux/lib directory seems populated. However, I get
Code:
/usr/local/share/skype/skype: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /usr/local/share/skype/skype)
/usr/local/share/skype/skype: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0)
/usr/local/share/skype/skype: /lib/libuuid.so.1: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libSM.so.6)
/usr/local/share/skype/skype: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /usr/lib/libICE.so.6)

Trying the c6 version of the flashplugin also failed during installation of linux-c6-pango. It required a directory that was missing, I made the directory and then it installed. However, once again it didn't work. When I went to youtube to try to play a flash video, firefox froze. Running it from terminal was giving similar errors to the skype ones,, such as
Code:
/usr/local/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer.bin  /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /usr/lib/libICE.so.6)

I wonder if there's some linux 32 bit lib compatibility that I've overlooked.

Hopefully, I'm the only one with these issues, as I haven't seen anyone else mentioning them.

scottro said:
The skype install gave me a stop error because linux-c6-qt47-x11 didn't have a pkg-descr file.
Good catch, I've since fixed it in the Github repo.

Code:
/usr/local/share/skype/skype: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /usr/local/share/skype/skype)
/usr/local/share/skype/skype: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0)
/usr/local/share/skype/skype: /lib/libuuid.so.1: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libSM.so.6)
/usr/local/share/skype/skype: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /usr/lib/libICE.so.6)

Two questions here:
1. Are you trying to build it on FreeBSD 10.0?
2. Do you have emulators/linux_base-c6 installed? It should install an uptodate libc.so.6 into /compat/linux/lib/

scottro said:
Trying the c6 version of the flashplugin also failed during installation of linux-c6-pango. It required a directory that was missing, I made the directory and then it installed.

Could you provide some error logs? It worked fine on my box.
Also, I noted that I accidently committed the work directory to github. That's fixed since.

Code:
/usr/local/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer.bin  /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /usr/lib/libICE.so.6)

Same error as above.

I won't get a chance to look at this again for a bit. I will try to get back to you this weekend. (And thank you very much for the quick response)
I started with installing skype, and I know it pulled in many CentOS-6 packages, but I never specifically checked if it installed the linux-base one. I already reverted it back to the Fedora base one, so can't check.
Yes, this is on FreeBSD-10. Is that what caused the issues?

It looks like it's missing glibc or it's looking for the wrong version.

scottro said:
I won't get a chance to look at this again for a bit. I will try to get back to you this weekend. (And thank you very much for the quick response)
I started with installing skype, and I know it pulled in many CentOS-6 packages, but I never specifically checked if it installed the linux-base one.

Unless you've specifically overridden it in /etc/make.conf as described elsewhere in this thread, you will most likely be stuck with emulators/linux_base-f10.

CentOS 6.5 has a recent-enough GLIBC,

xmj@mx12:~$ strings /compat/linux/lib/libc.so.6 |grep GLIBC -- INSERT --
Code:
[...snip]
GLIBC_2.9
GLIBC_2.10
GLIBC_2.11
GLIBC_2.12
GLIBC_PRIVATE

I did put in the required lines in /etc/make.conf and also followed instructions for removing the f10 based ports. I'll give it another shot in the next few days. Do you think that the fact that it's FreeBSD-10 makes a difference?

No, I was a bit confused at first as to which GLIBC you were missing; FreeBSD 10.0 doesn't come with stdlibc++ until you make it to. But that's irrelevant to the point at hand. :)

Great. And once again, I do appreciate the quick responses, especially as it's something that I'm just playing around with, not something that's essential to me. I repeat, great job on the instructions---earlier in the thread I complained about instructions being somewhat sparse, but the ones you provide at github were extremely clear.

I gave it another shot, on a fresh VM, with no Linux anything installed. This time, the problem was that when I tried kldload linuxprocfs I got a message that there was no such file or directory.
I had already installed the CentOS-6 base. This was a clean install, so there was no Fedora base originally installed. I installed skype anyway, and this time it installed without any issues. When I started it, it didn't give errors, but once I accepted the terms, I just got a big white window that accepted no input.

Although this one didn't work either, I think there's been some improvement with last time, when I had to manually add a pkg-descr and a directory.

I should add that these are not complaints. I certainly wouldn't be able to create these ports. Unfortunately, I don't have time to really assist in troubleshooting, and since, as I've mentioned, others don't seem to be having similar problems, I'd say there's a good chance that I'm simply overlooking things so that no real troubleshooting of your ports, which, as you've said, are working for you, is necessary.

scottro said:
I gave it another shot, on a fresh VM, with no Linux anything installed. This time, the problem was that when I tried kldload linuxprocfs I got a message that there was no such file or directory.
It's kldload linprocfs, linprocfs.ko exists in /boot/kernel by default.

scottro said:
When I started it, it didn't give errors, but once I accepted the terms, I just got a big white window that accepted no input.

Do yourself a favor and start skype from a command line. It should print out more lines that could be helpful in debugging.

scottro said:
Unfortunately, I don't have time to really assist in troubleshooting, and since, as I've mentioned, others don't seem to be having similar problems, I'd say there's a good chance that I'm simply overlooking things so that no real troubleshooting of your ports, which, as you've said, are working for you, is necessary.

That's why this post has [CFT] in the title -- Call for Testing. I don't find every single error myself, so before those ports can/will get into the main FreeBSD
ports tree they need to be checked to work on all versions, without much extra config. I don't have that kind of hardware that allows me to do this, so things
are, essentially, expected to break, and I appreciate every single report that it does/doesn't.

I have not tested it yet, just cheering at this point. The Linux base ports have needed updating for a long time.

Ok, I was sure that I'd just erred with what I posted here, that I'd actually _typed_ linprocfs, not linuxprocfs, however, looking through my history, I saw that I had typed linuxprocfs. That seems to have fixed it on the VirtualMachine install (that has no sound or camera.) Next step will be to try it on a physical machine and see how it goes, hopefully at some point today.

Just tried on a laptop. (Clevo, Intel graphics, Intel sound card.)

Installation works. Testing video works. However, when I try to make a test call, firstly, I have to change speaker default sound from Default to oss. Then, it begins to ring the test call, but fades and dies with a message audio capture failed.

The output in the terminal window is (and this starts as soon as I click make a test call)

Code:
ALSA lib conf.c:4664:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2209:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4185:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4185:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4185:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4664:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4185:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4185:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4185:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory

Meanwhile the flash plugin installs properly and nspluginwrapper seems to run properly, but doesn't find any plugins. Trying a deinstall reinstall, I find that nspluginwrapper depends upon the f10 emulators. So, (he writes, having no idea how much work is involved), maybe the Linux ports should include a CentOS-6 friendly version of nspluginwrapper?

Anyway, this is the closest I've gotten to having Skype work on FreeBSD, and I suspect part of the issue is flakey cheap or old notebook hardware. Hopefully, you'll get some other testers.

Ok, trying again on an i386 netbook. One problem that I've already had with two of the dependent ports is that they are looking for ports with i386 in the rpm name, whereas CentOS has named almost all of them with i686. The first two that gave me the issue were the linux-c6-alsa-lib port. I downloaded it from CentOS, put it in the distfiles subdirectory where it belonged, and renamed it from i686 to i386. Then the next one was the alsa-plugins-oss port. Same fix. After that, another one for sqlite, at which point I gave up as it looks as if I'd have to do it for about 8 more ports or so.

Hi,

I'm pretty sure that's an issue with ports/Mk/bsd.linux-rpm.mk and your using the i386 arch.

I've put the following into it:

Code:
.  if ${ARCH} == "amd64"
.    if ${USE_LINUX} == "c6"
LINUX_RPM_ARCH?=    i686    # ?= because of nasty c5 qt ports
.    else
LINUX_RPM_ARCH?=    i386    # the linuxulator does not yet support amd64 code
.    endif
.  elif ${ARCH} == "powerpc"
LINUX_RPM_ARCH?=    ppc
.  else
LINUX_RPM_ARCH?=    ${ARCH}
.  endif

...which needs a bit of love to make it usable on i386.

I'll look into it later today and see that the changes get on Github.

Thanks. I may not get another chance to play with it for a few days though.

Testing these now on 10-stable, amd64. No problems with installation, but the Flash player does not seem to work in Firefox.

Also, I get this error trying to run Skype:
Code:
/usr/local/share/skype/skype: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Did I miss something?

The flash issue sounds like what I've been experiencing. See my post above about nspluginwrapper seeming to insist upon Fedora.

I feel as if I got the libssl.so.6 error at some point--maybe in one of my first attempts, when I think I missed something but am not sure what.
I want to say it was one that happened when I first removed the f10 stuff and installed the c6 and didn't happen when I did a fresh install and went right to using c6, but at this point, my memory is hazy.
Ok, I think that everything after my first sentence is pretty useless. "Errm, yeah, I think that happened to me too, but not sure when or how I fixed it."

Back