[CFT] linux_base-c6 with CentOS 6.5, linux-c6 ports, Skype

Re: [CFT] linux_base-c6 with CentOS 6.5, linux-c6 ports, Sky

My guess is that that should have been removed. Unless the README has changed since I downloaded it, one of the first steps was to remove all the f10 stuff. (Goes to check--yup, looks like it should be removed.)
Quote from the README
Installing CentOS 6.5 ports

First you should uninstall linux-f10* ports and its dependencies. To make it easier, you can use pkg(8) for that purpose:

# pkg delete -f linux-f10-*
# pkg delete -f linux_base-f10

So, I would think that that port would have been covered under the linux-f10-* removal.

Also, looking at github, it seems that there is a replacement ssl port there.

Ah, I did that, but that line is not escaped, so it didn't work. It should be pkg delete -f linux-f10-\*.

Oh, and I realize I was looking on my desktop for the ports, not the notebook.

After really removing all the f10 ports and installing Linux ports for OpenSSL and SQLite, Skype starts. It has the ALSA audio errors mentioned earlier.

Likewise, no Flash player is found.

For audio output, press Ctrl-O for options, click Sound Devices, set both Microphone and Speakers to Open Sound System (oss).

Playback works fine, microphone input has trouble on this notebook. But they both work on the "Echo" test.

wblock@ said:
Testing these now on 10-stable, amd64. No problems with installation, but the Flash player does not seem to work in Firefox.

Should be fixed in commit PR 1a38f6c rene@ submitted.

wblock@ said:
Also, I get this error trying to run Skype:
Code:
/usr/local/share/skype/skype: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Did I miss something?

Do you have security/linux-c6-openssl-compat (0.9.8) installed?

I tried to merge and install the c6 ports yesterday on FreeBSD 10. It was working, and skype is started.
The only problem was in the README.md. The OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORTS=c6 variable is not worked for me, i have to change this OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=c6 (without "S")

lemle said:
I tried to merge and install the c6 ports yesterday on FreeBSD 10. It was working, and skype is started.
The only problem was in the README.md. The OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORTS=c6 variable is not worked for me, i have to change this OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=c6 (without "S")

Hi, thanks for the notice.

In the newest versions found on github and in the latest diff.xz / .txz, you don't need to override the LINUX_BASE_PORT and LINUX_NONBASE_PORTS anymore, as I've inverted the behavior in Mk/bsd.linux-rpm.mk and Mk/bsd.port.mk.

From now on, my version of the Linux ports will automatically default to CentOS 6.5 §e

As announced earlier today on the freebsd-ports mailing list[1], I've been able
to fix the Flash error and import all ports that in some way or another depend
on Linux apps (as per ports/Mk/bsd.linux-apps.mk or direct
*_DEPENDS )into my Github repo.

Likewise I added all missing apps and then some.

Please feel free to test the new version(s).

[1] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2014-March/090658.html

Just did a quick test, and flash is working.

Woohoo--just added skype and that too is now working. I had to change all three audio devices to use oss rather than default, but aside from that, just about seamless. Great work, thank you.

Have installed everything as described at https://github.com/cpu82/skype4-ports/blob/master/README.md on my FreeBSD 10-STABLE amd64. Everything works fine except Skype can not start to capture from webcamd without Firefox + Flash plugin to init the camera.
So, basically, to enable video-calls I have to run Firefox, go to http://www.testwebcam.com/ that shows me the picture from webcam and then start Skype. Without this sequence Skype sees the device /dev/video0, but there is no picture from it.
Can someone explain what can be the reason of such strange behaviour and how to fix it?

I have installed nspluginwrapper using the trick with file fedora-release at my /compat/linux/etc folder containing text "Fedora release 10 (Cambridge)". Otherwise nspluginwrapper refused to install.

vadimk said:
I have installed nspluginwrapper using the trick with file fedora-release at my /compat/linux/etc folder containing text "Fedora release 10 (Cambridge)". Otherwise nspluginwrapper refused to install.

fedora-release versus redhat-release is used by the Ports system to determine if emulators/linux_base-f10 (or emulators/linux_base-c6) is installed. www/nspluginwrapper from my overlay does not depend on the specific linux version and will work with both.

Nspluginwrapper does work, but how Skype depends on the result of its work?

I can report that the webcam in an Acer notebook worked without problems for the Skype4 port. And Flash works with the latest revision.

In my case, on two separate laptops, I don't think there was such a connection. On the other hand, now that I think about it, in both cases, I tried flash before trying skype, so maybe there is a relationship. (Skype is something that I only need on rare occasions, so I tested flash first).

xmj said:
You're using the wrong git repository. try https://github.com/xmj/linux-ports instead.

I have re-installed linux libraries from the new port. The result is the same: after reboot Skype does not give picture from webcam, but after first activation in the browser webcam picture activates at Skype as well.

Hi,

I'm really interested in the -c6 thing, but I guess I missed something ;)
Currently I'm able to install the emulators/linux_base-c6 fine, but how do you use apps like skype? Where do I install the xorg? In the FreeBSD host, or even in the c6 emulation? Is there a howto for people new to this linux emulation things to go from vanilla FreeBSD to use e.g. skype? At least something like a brief list of steps ;)

Thanks a lot!

SirDice said:
Please review the relevant section in the handbook: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO885 ... uxemu.html

Thanks a lot, but this does answer my questions completely. I was interested in how much and what x things must be installed in the emulation, and what in FreeBSD. I can make some guesses with the informations around, but I was just interested in an available howto about this target. No problem at all.

If you download xmj's linux-ports from git-hub, the README.md actually gives you a pretty good step by step guide of what to install, and what changes to make to various files to getting it working, including the basic steps of Linux emulation.

https://github.com/xmj/linux-ports

Instructions are also shown on that page. Just scroll down.

Just a short report. I've been running www/linux-firefox, astro/google-earth, flash and net-im/skype4 for a few days now. All work fairly well. Skype has some problems with activating or reading the webcam device(Logitech C310), but it's intermittent and also happens using skype in an Ubuntu install on a spare drive. I'm also using the x11/nvidia-driver port and 2D/3D acceleration seems to work perfectly fine with the ports mentioned. Thanks for your work :)

icecoke said:
I can make some guesses with the informations around, but I was just interested in an available howto about this target. No problem at all.

The beauty of the existing Mk/bsd.linux-apps.mk/ system is that you don't actually need to do anything beyond installing net-im/skype4 as described in the README.md mentioned above.

In short, ports is pretty good at dependency resolution.

If you find you need to do anything else beyond the instructions listed, please let me know.

What I don't know is what's going to happen if you try to install these ports on a VM that currently does not have X installed.

But then, I don't really care as installing X is documented in the handbook and should be common-sense to run X apps. :)

Back